cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do your make your TC your own?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
What does it take for you to feel that your newly acquired TC is uniquely yours? For me it's improvement projects. Since getting our 2002 Northern Lite 10-2 CD last year, the projects are:

(1) built a jig to keep the camper from sliding around in the truck box.
(2) upgraded the converter from single stage to multi-stage.
(3) replaced the countertop microwave with one in the overhead cabinet.
(4) built a jig to secure the microwave in place.
(5) installed a digital DC voltmeter that also serves as a night light.
(6) replaced the wall-clock movement with an atomic (radio controlled) one.
(7) installed a digital thermometer beneath the analog thermostat.
(8) replaced bulbs with LEDs.

And, I might add, other forum members have been a big help with information for some of these projects. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
If you want some great ideas on camper mods, these two sites have done a terrific job of recording their works. A few of my mods are direct inspirations (even down to same models)of their previous work. They have helped me tremendously to save time and money on my own projects

http://ourelkhorn.itgo.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~netboy/

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Our '98 Lance is getting long in the tooth. We made a tough decision to patch it up instead of buying a new one. The tough part is I really wanted a new XP camper to ride into the sunset. This summer I added to the old clunker:
A new PD4645 converter with charge wizard
200 watts of solar,
a new camper battery (1-group 27 is the only one that will fit)
a lot of 1" closed cell block foam, foil both sides,(to ****** the release of gasses in the bubbles in the foam) onto the inside of the useless front window;completely covering the pass through window; around the Prop tank, inside; the floors of cabinets that bottom to the floor or over fender area; the wall behind the top bunk; the wall behind the upper cabinets. Gorilla has a new, "sticks to anything" glue cartridge that seems to work. My right arm is not much use any more so I left it as collateral to buy the glue.;I used foil tape that has a long, long stick life. Still, single pane windows are not good for what we do. A couple years ago I cut a carpet remnant for the floor with a rubber pad underneath.Jeanie has collected a couple dozen refrigerator magnets from N.P.'s and such that adorn our range hood. I put a turnstile on the range exhaust flap to keep it from flapping in the wind. Early on I put a cable connection right thru the wall for our little 9" TV on long trips.
In reality, most of the upgrades of our truck camper were to the truck. And most of that was drivetrain related. I'm thinking the Lance 165-s's days are numbered. It won't be worth selling; just take it to the dump. It will go out just like me, totally used up and not worth a thing. A fellow professor at Long Beach State, who had many new ball joints put into his skeleton just to stay afloat told me he told his kids upon his death to remember him by making a wind chime out of all his titanium parts.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Steve in 29 wrote:
I can understand ... the joy of doing things yourself ... but absent a total rebuild there was no way to do many of the things I had the factory do as they involved structural parts of the camper or complete dis-assembly to reach some areas.

As for working on it, while I didn't do the actual construction I did work on it in that I actually came up with most of the ideas I had incorporated and I definitely enjoyed doing the months of research and planning that went along with that.

Then after taking possession of the unit I still did a bunch of minor things myself, such as installing an LP tank change over alarm, sealed LED tail lights and fine tuning the workings of my no exterior-vent fridge enclosure to name a few. Items that the factory could have done but that it really wasn't cost effective to let them.

But the major stamp I put on the unit to make it mine was still the modifications I had the factory do. Some of which have now become standard factory options that others can select for their camper.
What you wrote makes perfect sense to me:

When I did my first home-kitchen remodel, I did just about everything except the plumbing. But several years ago, when I did my most recent kitchen remodel, I did very little of the actual construction. But I did most all of the design and layout (though it was put on paper by the Lowes kitchen guy). Nevertheless, I am as proud of that kitchen as if I had done all of the drawing and installation myself.

So I understand what you're saying about your camper. And you must be pleased to see that others can select your ideas to incorporate into their campers.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
There isnt anything in my TC that isn't custom as we built it up from the grave. A resurrection for sure. Actually the only things not custom is the stove, the sink and the bathroom (full fiberglass)

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
When I wrote, "Wow! You can do that?", I was being a bit sarcastic. Some of us don't have the $ lying around to plunk down on a new TC. And being retired, I don't want to take on any monthly payments.

Besides, I can guarantee that there is NO manufacturer out there who would build a product EXACTLY how I want it, even if I did have the $ to pay for that.

Then there's the fact that I enjoy making improvements on my camper. It's my way of extending the pleasure of camping beyond the actual camping.

When I started this thread, I didn't stop to consider the fact that some do not enjoy working on their TC. But I can understand that. And some have responded with other ways they have made their camper their own.

I can understand your position (there really should be a sarcasm font/smiley) and the joy of doing things yourself (I have built several 4x4 rigs and modified my Harley) but absent a total rebuild there was no way to do many of the things I had the factory do as they involved structural parts of the camper or complete dis-assembly to reach some areas.

As for working on it, while I didn't do the actual construction I did work on it in that I actually came up with most of the ideas I had incorporated and I definitely enjoyed doing the months of research and planning that went along with that.

Then after taking possession of the unit I still did a bunch of minor things myself, such as installing an LP tank change over alarm, sealed LED tail lights and fine tuning the workings of my no exterior-vent fridge enclosure to name a few. Items that the factory could have done but that it really wasn't cost effective to let them.

But the major stamp I put on the unit to make it mine was still the modifications I had the factory do. Some of which have now become standard factory options that others can select for their camper.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Not everyone is retired or has a home where they can work on an RV. Some people cannot even keep their RV at home due to local restrictions...
I hear you.

Bedlam
Not everyone is retired or has a home where they can work on an RV. Some people cannot even keep their RV at home due to local restrictions...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I ordered mine the way I wanted.
Wow! You can do that?

Sure you can IF you pick the right brand.
When I wrote, "Wow! You can do that?", I was being a bit sarcastic. Some of us don't have the $ lying around to plunk down on a new TC. And being retired, I don't want to take on any monthly payments.

Besides, I can guarantee that there is NO manufacturer out there who would build a product EXACTLY how I want it, even if I did have the $ to pay for that.

Then there's the fact that I enjoy making improvements on my camper. It's my way of extending the pleasure of camping beyond the actual camping.

When I started this thread, I didn't stop to consider the fact that some do not enjoy working on their TC. But I can understand that. And some have responded with other ways they have made their camper their own.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I ordered mine the way I wanted.
Wow! You can do that?

Sure you can IF you pick the right brand.

My Outfitter Apex 9.5 left the factory with a BUNCH of custom mods I had them incorporate into the build. Things like remodeling the interior structure to accommodate a custom LP tank setup and redesigning the roof structure to fit my solar and storage needs. Even down to installing the waterproof TP holder I wanted in the wetbath. There is way more then that but you get the idea.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
kerry4951 wrote:
I ordered my TC too, and ordered all the factory options. The problem is they didnt include the 67 other options that I had to add to make the thing mine.

Custom order here too. Didn't get all the standard factory options but did get the factory to add some options that weren't standard so it felt like mine the moment I left the factory. All mods since and to come just add to that.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
So many mods, there really would be almost too many to list. When I bought my TC used, it had hardly been used and it was already over 10 years old. It spent a lot of time sitting and never got used enough for anyone to find any deficiencies (or at least to try to repair any deficiencies). I had a fairly "blank Canvas" to start with. Since 100 % of my camping is off road and dry, my first priority was to get as much out of the batteries as possible. Add a catalytic heater (no fan), a proper converter (intellipower 60 replaces old Magnatek), LED lights everywhere (usually with second lamps), and 100 watts of solar power and I think I have almost "fixed" this issue. I believe I really need a 2nd 100w panel and 2 six volt batteries in series and I will have the capacity I need.

Wasted space was solved with additional cupboards, organizer containers in all cupboards and Space saving mods like rack on the inside of cupboard doors, additional shelving in cupboards etc. Additional Insulation in the form of removable stryo blocks for the escape hatch and vents is also added.

Added a decent stereo, a 12v tv, additional collapsible counter space, battery operated lighting in the closet, and other cupboards, a few extra 12v and USB outlets, new carpeting over the floor, a 6" PVC tube holder for the Sani drain, a reflective solar insulation for the front window and She is starting to feel like she belongs in the woods and not in some "Plug-in plasticized RV parking Wally world". heh heh heh

Am I done? nope, There will always be a little something I can change to make my time in the bush more satisfying.

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
I do an overnight solo in it to test it out, just me and the dogs. We get the floor dirty, and labrador hair all over the dinette. Bam! BROKEN IN. 🙂
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
To make it mine I just pay cash
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Funny but up until this thread I never gave it a thought in the 6 years that I have owned it. Its been mine from the first trip. Inside the only thing we ever did was swap out the oem mattress and replace the original microwave when it died in year two and outside I put two 100 watt solar panels last spring and duallay brackets in July when we bought a new truck. But I am that way with most of my toys, get them with what I want from the get go then use the heck out of them only replacing stuff that wears out. I really am not much into tinkering. if it suits my needs I tend to just leave it as is
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags