cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how important is this step in winterizing?

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
my buddy, who's not good with computers, forgot this step when winterizing last week in NJ. He did not blow the lines and added antifreeze at the water pump bypass inside.

Everything else was done perfect except the below. Will he be ok?

*Remove the small screen over the inlet and push in on the valve with a small screwdriver until you see antifreeze. Replace the screen
10 REPLIES 10

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I would personally want that valve pressed eliminating any chance of water being left in the system. The check valve really needs antifreeze in it to ensure a proper job. Will antifreeze mix with the water left...maybe but finishing the job makes more sense than a spring repair replacing that check valve assembly
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've missed that step twice. After running the antifreeze through the system it can actually mix in with the water. I've never had an issue with it.

BTW, when you press in on that valve make sure there is no pressure in the system. Not only will you get a face full, you can also dislodge the valve and unseat it. With the pump off open a faucet to reliev any pressure, leave it open and gently press the valve in. Antifreeze will slowly trickle out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
If his system has the low point hot and cold drain lines, and he opened them and the faucets to purge all water out, then the chances of any water being up at that inlet are slim to none. It is higher than the pump and those drains so the water will by nature seek the lowest point in the system. Once I drained all the lines I cracked open the line from that inlet and it had no water in it.

Good thing the black tank flush was mentioned, that is one that I completely forgot about and will make sure I take care of it tomorrow. I should be able to blow that out without worry, I hope, since the black tank is vented.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Best bet is to fire up the water pump again and press in that check valve until red comes out.

"Best bet" is to IGNORE this erroneous advice and NOT push in that check valve stem with the system under full pressure, as YOU found out yourself. Instead, turn the pump OFF, open a faucet for a few seconds to relieve some of the pressure in the system, then push in that check valve stem. Do it this way and you won't displace the rubber O ring inside the check valve, causing it to leak.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Push on end of check valve plunger ONLY when pressure is off cold water system......otherwise you can dislodge the o-ring on end of plunger and then check valve will NOT seal.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
ALSO - if he has a black tank flush line, that is not part of any other water system. It will probably have a low spot it it that will freeze and break the line if it isn't blown out or have antifreeze put in it - been there, done that...........

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
al7601 wrote:

*Remove the small screen over the inlet and push in on the valve with a small screwdriver until you see antifreeze. Replace the screen

There may or may not be water in that "City Water" line.

Chances are....if he used the onboard water pump to flush all his lines with antifreeze that that 2 feet of line probably got bled off.......but...he'll never know until spring, eh?

Best bet is to fire up the water pump again and press in that check valve until red comes out.

In this pic....the screen is already removed.

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Does he have a flush connection?

no he doesn't

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Does he have a flush connection?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that refers to the check valve at the city water connection. Unless he is a long way from the RV, he should go do it. Otherwise he may have to replace the valve.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board