cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long is your tear down/setup time?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ways to improve our setup and take down time. It is roughly an hour for each. I feel like it could be cut down. The most time consuming is getting the inside in working order once we arrive, or putting it away before we leave. any tips/tricks to speed the process?

We have those stackable wire shelves we put on the counter to reduce clutter, but takes time to unload the bins and put it all out once at the CG. We do try and split the chores up. I do all the stuff outside- Power, water, tools, chairs, etc while she gets the inside ready.

I know one would be to bring less stuff! We have a tendency to bring way too much food or snacks and have to move it back and forth. This year I picked up those anderson levelers and they help quite a bit.

I was thinking of making some shelves with backs/bottoms and ditching the wire racks. Then I can transport what I want in the shelves and once at the CG just throw them on the counter and they will have everything already in them.

Looking for ways to transport the grill (charcoal) easier, or just bite the bullet and get a gas grill that folds up that I can just throw into the back of my truck. Charcoal grills just aren't made for easy transport.

Just wondering what tips/tricks people have picked up over the years to make the process easier/quicker.
83 REPLIES 83

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
30 minutes. It might be time for you to simplify what you carry. Camping is fun... Simplify and enjoy it.
Ask yourself if you really need things like awning lights... We no longer put out a rug either. A simple doormat will suffice. Once I get backed in my wife goes to work inside while I work outside.

(One of the great timesavers is my wife isn't involved in the backing procedure.
We refuse to provide entertainment to other campers. I know in years past I've enjoyed watching and listening to more than a few disorganized folks...)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread. I would say about 15 minutes to get set up for the most part. Now, if company is coming and you include getting out chairs, games, fire materials, etc. Then it is longer. Tear down is a little longer because stuff from inside the TT ends up outside over the weekend and it takes about 20-25 minutes to pack it all back inside.

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
And it depends on the weather. Taking everything down to leave when everything outside is wet and covered in sticky, sandy soil, is slow. Also arriving after dark (which we TRY to avoid doing) can make backing in and leveling a challenge. Every stop varies.....but we average 20-30 min. too.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
While I think 20 minutes would be our normal, at times we just level and stabilize, the remainder of the junk gets haul out as needed.

Dumping on the way out takes another 20 our 30 minutes.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Never timed it but I like to keep it simple. Probably 15-20 minutes to beer in hand enjoying some a/c. Grill and chairs come out later.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in no rush and I'd say 20 minutes is probably the max. We split the duties between two of us, inside and outside. With a bigger trailer, there is less to move out of the way when we get to where we're going, but we typically only go out for the weekend. Between unhitching, leveling, dropping the stabilizer jacks, hooking up electric and water, setting out carpet and chairs and popping open the outside entertainment area, I'm done in 20 minutes. My GF has been done inside for at least 10 minutes by the time I'm done.

Having the electric drill definitely decreases time, plus I have the electric tongue jack. The manual tongue jack on the old trailer was a workout, specifically here in FL summers, to raise and lower. That definitely added some time.

I'm not sure what could possibly take over an hour to do, unless you were setting up camp to decorate and make it home outside for when you stay more than a week. Of course if you were in charge of everything on your own, then I can see it taking an hour.

And while agreeing with the above post from 'ZeeLet50', if you're counting the time it takes to get into certain sites in to the "ideal agreed upon position", then yes an hour could be realized in no time.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised at these times??? Of course, I have a built in pit crew between my wife and two boys. We've got a few hundred nights in the camper and have it down to a science. I haven't timed it, but it can't be over 15 minutes.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
I must be doing something wrong. Level, block, unhook, slide out, awning out. -10 mins. What are these "hookups" you speak of? :B

RoyB...If you like a real BBQ like me check out Son of Hibachi

You can put it away hot in it's own "snuff bag". :C

Interesting. Looks a bit small for when we have 6 people camping though. I think I might start a new thread on grills now.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends for me / us. Average is 20 / 30 minute to level it and set up, but there's always bits and pieces that get forgotten like the coffee maker doesn't come out of the cabinet 'till the first morning. Tear down is usually about an hour 'cause everything has to be put away

I used my TT for a work trip and I think I hit the record for teardown that last evening. Granted I was alone and didn't put any outside stuff out. I was scheduled to stay for another night, so nothing was really put way inside either. I found out a huge storm was coming through and I think it took me 10 minutes to secure inside gear, disconnect utilities, hitch up to the tow vehicle and haul a#$...I drove out of the CG as the big fat rain drops started to fall....

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must be doing something wrong. Level, block, unhook, slide out, awning out. -10 mins. What are these "hookups" you speak of? :B

RoyB...If you like a real BBQ like me check out Son of Hibachi

You can put it away hot in it's own "snuff bag". :C
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I can set it up in about 20 minutes or 30 minutes if I have help....

Actually,the DW and I have been setting up so often we can both do whatever needs to be done in about 20 minutes.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I always find it interesting to see how everyone does the same basic things so differently. Not sure I understand what the OP is pulling out and putting on the counters. We are 30 minutes give or take for set up and longer for take down because of dumping. Mostly everything is outside as the inside is set to go for the most part. While I hook up the utilities my wife does the corner jacks, rugs and chairs. She hands me a few things from inside and then opens the awning and slides. I get the grill out of the truck and open the kitchen and we are good to go.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
I never worry about the time, life is too short as it is! Who cares if it is 15 mins or 2 hours....

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
First we never camp in a campground. Second we have a toyhauler filled with toys and accessories thats gotta be taken out.

Third, and thats after we level and chock.

1 hour nesting, 2 hours to put it all back in.

You people have it easy. 🙂
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
See username....I'm on vacation.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze