cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long is your tear down/setup time?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ways to improve our setup and take down time. It is roughly an hour for each. I feel like it could be cut down. The most time consuming is getting the inside in working order once we arrive, or putting it away before we leave. any tips/tricks to speed the process?

We have those stackable wire shelves we put on the counter to reduce clutter, but takes time to unload the bins and put it all out once at the CG. We do try and split the chores up. I do all the stuff outside- Power, water, tools, chairs, etc while she gets the inside ready.

I know one would be to bring less stuff! We have a tendency to bring way too much food or snacks and have to move it back and forth. This year I picked up those anderson levelers and they help quite a bit.

I was thinking of making some shelves with backs/bottoms and ditching the wire racks. Then I can transport what I want in the shelves and once at the CG just throw them on the counter and they will have everything already in them.

Looking for ways to transport the grill (charcoal) easier, or just bite the bullet and get a gas grill that folds up that I can just throw into the back of my truck. Charcoal grills just aren't made for easy transport.

Just wondering what tips/tricks people have picked up over the years to make the process easier/quicker.
83 REPLIES 83

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Our goal is to be and remain organized. We have all supplies in low rise stackable Rubbermaid tubs in the cargo area. The chocks, leveling blocks, etc. are divided equally between the cargo doors on each side of the trailer, in their own tub, and so on. The cargo area is organized and everything comes out in sequential order and that has worked great for us. If we have a somewhat level area we're done in 20 to 25 minutes and ready to relax.

We don't have a lot of extra "foo-foo" to carry or move around. If we add something to the inside or outside we try to make sure it's something we really need and not something we will be getting rid of later.

Regards,
The Piddlers

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
45min to an hr for set-up or teardown

Leveling & unhitching, slide, windows, dog turn-out, water buckets for dogs, generator, awning, sunshade for van, chairs, extra water container of dog water.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Under 30 minutes
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
We rented a truck with a roof top tent in Oz. From the time we got up and had a hot breakfast, to being on the road,2 hours.
Adventure before dementia

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
So far we are about 45 minutes set up unhitched and cooking dogs. Packing up a solid hour cleaning everything running the vac (lots of dog hair) getting hitched and on the road

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Normally takes longer to do a channel scan than to set up. Probably 5-10 minutes to set up. Same to break down.
Pretty easy for us. Water & electric, put out a couple chairs, program channels, open a cool refreshing beverage and we are good.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'm like evanrem. I pull in set the chocks and hook up elec and water, extend the slider and lower the jacks. Meanwhile my wife readies the inside. 30 min usually. Just hate all the useless junk. We usually only put out the awning in the daytime, that takes 3 min. Had high winds in Fl once and was out in the rain at 3 AM putting the awning up. Some people think they need everything from home for some reason. KISS, which means keep it simple.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Less than 30 minutes to setup, longer to take down.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Setup/breakdown is what you make it. I've seen people with "A"s take 2 hours, I've seen pop-ups take 30 minutes.

If we don't put up lights, whirrly-gigs, and my Automatic Chef grill, we can be setup in 30 minutes. But with all the extras it takes us about an hour. And, yes, that includes opening the bed walls. I count from the time I start backing up the trailer.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it takes until its time to go home.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I like to bring my own water from home (city water) so I never hookup water at sites unless I am empty. Also last couple sites had no sewer so I just brought it home or emptied at exit which seems to be quicker.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
My setup and take down includes the backing in and leveling. When I had the TT it included the unhitching (hence the extra minutes).

But as others mention, I don't have a ton of "stuff" that needs to be setup in the site - no strings of lights, no welcome signs, no carpets, etc. I'm camping not RVing.

When in a full hookup site (for our rallies), the only change is that I pull out the electrical cord and plug it in. I don't hook up sewer, no TV antennaes, no cable hookup, no water hookup. For me it's really the KISS mentality.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
About 30 minutes for each for us.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
From the time we pull up to the site, boon docking about 20 maybe 30 min if it is really unlevel as it takes a little to place the blocks under tires and jacks. 10 min if at an RV park as all we really have to do is unhook, drill down the jacks and hook up water hose. This means chairs out and beer in hand. We each have our things we do. We use walkie talkies to place and level, I back as well as I drive forward so no jocking around to place it where we decide. If unlevel I stop about a foot and a half from where we want it and place the tire blocks to roll up on until she says level, done.

As stated above everyone has a different term for setup so setup can mean many different things, like said above running lights, I am sure bird feeders who knows what else. For us it is leveled, slides out, chairs out, grab a beer.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We don't try to put out everything all at once. We just do the basics once we get onsite so it takes us about 10 minutes to get setup. We dived and conquer. I normally do all of the outside. My wife does the inside and starts dinner since we're normally arriving in the evenings. Things slowly come out of the trailer in a pretty relaxed pace after dinner.

Items in the passthrough are organized by the order that they'll be pulled out. Saves you a lot of time from having to dig for stuff. Things that get pulled first are closet to the doors, like the power cord, water hose, and drill. Things that aren't used often are located dead center of the passthrough, like extra wood and traffic cones.

My wife has the "Everything Has a Home" rule. When you're done with an item, it's cleaned if necessary and put back in its home. Tear down goes by much quicker because of it and it's less likely that something will get left behind. The night before we leave, we'll start putting away all the items that aren't needed for the morning. After breakfast is done, we're out in 10 minutes and headed for the dump station.