cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Long Should Our Travel Trailer Be?

davidshq
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at purchasing a travel trailer and I'm trying to figure out how long we should be looking at...

There are only two of us - so we don't need a ton of beds. We are also fairly minimalistic, so while we will need some storage room, we shouldn't have too much trouble in this area.

The biggest thing is I need room for my desk - it is a sit/stand desk - 2' x 4' - and for my desk chair. I think this is the biggest challenge...Smaller ones seem like a good fit, except for the lack of room for this desk...

What are the advantages of a larger TT (besides the obvious)? Of a smaller TT?

Is it a lot harder to handle a larger TT over a smaller one?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
24 REPLIES 24

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you may have surmised you are asking a difficult to answer question. But there are the basics to be considered.

1. Are you going to pull it or park it?
2. It is not easy to change the floor plan. There are too many wires, pipes and devices hidden in the walls and under the built-ins.
3. If it fits you and the DW only, it will be difficult to sleep the grandkids.
4. Some slides make the TT inaccessible on the road.
5. You have to have the TV for the load.
6. You have to be able to maneuver the beast on the road and in the campground.

For all the above reasons we looked until we found a good floor plan in a 25 foot TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the real issue is not your desk. In thinking about the length of your trailer or MH the one thing that must be answered is: WHERE Do You Want to Take it?

If you want to spend time in the National Parks or many State/BLM/Natl Forest Service Campgrounds a 30 footer will allow you to access the largest number with the longest length.

If on the other hand you will spend all your time in swimmingpooled RV Parks with 50ft pull thrus then length is no object. (proper tow vehicle is assumed here)

If you want to get off the interstate to some of the really interesting little backroads or really scenic roads in the country shorter will be much better and allow you access to places where larger motorhomes and TT's are discouraged or outright denied access.

I think this is the first question you must answer. Then find the space (or not) for the desk.

davidshq
Explorer
Explorer
I've been "on" the internet for somewhere around twenty years, and I've participated in a ton of forums...I have never experienced so much helpful feedback before - thank you all!

Dave

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A toy hauler may work well, lots of space for any use. Something like Keystone Outback 301TB for example.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I recall a while back of a person who modified the dinette area so the two of them would sit in chairs side by side facing the window, and not each other. This change allows the table top to be used as a desk also.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As far as towing goes, I've owned an 18 foot, a 31 footer and now a 35 footer. I've not had any problems at all towing any of these.

Here's an easy "accommodation" that might fit your needs. More and more manufactures are using the rear double slide (on both sides) of the rear of the camper. And the furniture is stand-alone furniture, (not built in), which means it can be removed, replaced, or tossed out completely. If you looking for a camper so you don't have to remodel, one like this is a good option for you.

Below is the floor plan of my Outback. We did not get the dinette, we got a free-standing table and 4 chairs in ours. The couch is completely free standing and the two recliners can be put anywhere. We took out 2 kitchen table chairs and turned the table long-ways (parallel to the window), and switch the sofa and 2 rocker chairs locations. This provided a LOT more room when the slides are in.

But, we could remove all of that and have a wide open space. This is a good option. My camper is an Keystone Outback, but like I said, many of the manufactures now have similar floor plans.

Bottom line: Toss out that couch, or toss out the rocker chairs, or toss out the table, and you've got room for your desk.

EDIT: nice thing about this camper is, it's 100% functional with all the slides IN, especially since we switch positions for the 2 rocker chairs and the couch and turned the table and took out 2 kitchen chairs. All the cabinets are accessible with slides in, except one small one on the living room side of the kitchen sink. There are 2 drawers there, but even those can be opened with the slide in.

When selecting your camper.... take the time to pull all the slides IN and sit in the camper a while, check out the cabinets, and see how functional it is with everything buttoned up. There are occasions when you cannot extend the slides and you still need full access to everything. Just something to consider:

Slides IN. Imagine one of the 3 spaces with your desk. It would still be accessible even with the slides IN.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever length you get - make sure it has a walk around bed and a couple of recliners to sit in. Otherwise you will be looking for a new trailer very soon.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Your biggest obstacle may be getting the desk through the door. You may want to check out toy haulers.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
dupe
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
davidshq wrote:
The biggest thing is I need room for my desk - it is a sit/stand desk - 2' x 4' - and for my desk chair. I think this is the biggest challenge...
Is it a lot harder to handle a larger TT over a smaller one?

Reading your post, it seems clear that your main concern is room for this 'special' desk of yours. What you have not said is whether you could live with a TT with some desk space as opposed to space for your desk. There are trailers with a bunkhouse area / room that has a dinette table in it that can be used as a desk (or even an office if its only the two of you - saw your other post). However these trailers are typically longer rather than shorter. Another question raised by more than one person is whether you are handy/willing to modify a trailer to accommodate your supplied desk - this is a good question because it will directly affect the size of the trailer you settle on.

There will likely be no trailer that will have enough empty space (especially while travelling) to accommodate your supplied desk, since that would be counter-intuitive to present trailer design philosophy. Modification will be needed.

To answer your last question above - in my experience, no. I most recently towed a utility trailer and it was much harder to back up than the trailer in my signature. as for going forward, it is no harder to manoeuvre than my previous 17' trailer.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
I also think the OP needs to just get out and look at different unit until they find a floor plan / features that fit their needs.

Our TT has 2 freestanding lounge chairs that stow in one slide during travel. If you got rid of those, there would be a perfect spot for a desk.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
davidshq wrote:
How Long Should Our Travel Trailer Be?

Well, if you want to lie down it will need to be at least equal to your height either in width or length. :B

Seriously, no one can answer this for you. You need to wear out some shoe leather and look at what is available and will meet your needs.

Longer gives more room inside, but is harder to get into smaller campsites.

My Aliner is only 10' long and works great. There are also 40' long trailers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
OTOH.....we started with a HTT, a ROO 23SS. Box was 20'+ a smidge, bumper to ball about 24'. Loved it for 7 years and with just the two of us most of the time, we were plenty good for space. With a HTT, the beds fold out of the ends, somewhat like a PUP, so you do end up with more living space not taken up by beds. In May of '13 we moved to a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. It actually is 26'4" box and right at 30' bumper to ball. It feels huge to us....still after 2 seasons, we have more than enough room. Personal opinion is that more than size, you need to consider what you actually NEED in this trailer. I was also thinking a toy hauler. You can find some smaller size - mid 20'? - and set up whatever you need in the garage area + still having a bed and dinette. May or may not have a sofa, likely not in the smaller size. I've also seen folks that had no toys at all, but set up the garage area to be more of an indoor, screened porch area. You can get screens that have an opening to fit the rear and even if it's pouring down rain, you can feel like you're sitting outside, but stay dry. Something to consider. A desk and chair + whatever should fit easily in that space. You don't necessarily need to go 30' box to have the space you need.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I would say find the largest RV Dealer and/or RV Show in your area (you already missed the Hershey show for this year) and go looking at different floor plans. Actually walking into the trailer tells you much more than looking at a diagram. When looking at length of a travel trailer you need to think about maneuverability. I have a 38 ft 5th wheel and a lot of backing experience. And it can be tight in some of the local campgrounds. Remember with the 5th wheel some of that length is over the truck. With the travel trailer it is all behind the truck. Personally if I was looking at my first travel trailer with limited towing experience, I would not go over 30 feet and would prefer something around 25 feet.

That said, buy enough truck that if you do later decide you need a larger trailer and now have experience pulling and backing to get one, you don't need a new truck.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500