cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of you own an EV?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know a few folks on here do. Have posted pics and relevant info etc.
But with the proliferation of threads arguing about how great and economical they are, how many of y'all, especially the noisy proponents own EVs and what are they?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
152 REPLIES 152

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Of course, nowadays, we hear about ICE lighting-up too, and EV batteries exploding or lighting on fire too. So, there is that. Any time we harness heat and convert it to useful consumer energy, we also create a certain amount of danger.

There are far more ice cars that "light up" than EV. But, to be fair, there are many more ice cars.

True enough, the more of one type of vehicle, the dynamic of its failure in comparison will change in that same direction.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
'21 Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid.
Gets 35KM on pure battery, which seems to be enough for most daily running around ( I commute to work by bus/train/bike).
Recharges in 2.5Hrs, so sometimes there will be multiple charges per day....not very often.

6-7 weeks between gas fill ups. Last odometer reading was 1876KM's between fuelings.

For us, the plug-in is working great. Of course, 6 months after we got this one they increased the battery range to 55Kms or so. That would be perfect for us.
Like having the gas for long trips.

Now, if there was only something out there with more than a 3500lb tow rating. ๐Ÿ™‚
Looking to find a small couples trailer to pull, so hopefully when prices settle back down we might be able to find something suitable.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
monkey44 wrote:
Of course, nowadays, we hear about ICE lighting-up too, and EV batteries exploding or lighting on fire too. So, there is that. Any time we harness heat and convert it to useful consumer energy, we also create a certain amount of danger.

There are far more ice cars that "light up" than EV. But, to be fair, there are many more ice cars.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
Reisender wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Here's Why Major Car Manufacturers Believe Hydrogen Cars Are The Future
BY
EUGENIA AKHIM
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO
We delve into the reasons why several car giants are pursuing the hydrogen avenue of cars for the future instead of electric-powered vehicles.

Above very recent news article from Google news and hotcars.com

As a member of the 300 million gasser club, I will wait for my hydrogen fuel car. I am in no hurry. Evidently EVs are now old news. Wink Wink (this is a joke for the slow ones)

According to business news most EV owners till own a gasser. Maybe hidden away for rainy day????

I quit reading after they said this. LOL. :).

โ€œAnother drawback to EVs is their charging time, which is too slow. The average electric car (60 kWh battery) takes 8 hours to charge from empty-to-full with a 7kW charging point. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model S (Long Range) takes up to 12 hours to charge using the Tesla Wall Connector, while the Audi E-Tron needs 10.5 hours to charge, accordingy to Kelley Blue Book. Conversely, hydrogen cars require just 3 to 5 minutes to charge a full tank.โ€

LOL. Canโ€™t get more wrong that that. :). Or funnier. :). I mean they could have used a 3 KW charge point and then said it took 24 hours. Or maybe a 1 kw charge point and then said 100 hours. Wonder why the chose 7 kw. Lucky number? :). LOL.

Cheers.
Maybe they chose 7kW because thatโ€™s what most EVโ€™s available today will accept in at home use.
Clicky

Maybe. But I f you are going by that metric than that is incorrect as most closer to 8 kw or above.

Second of all, why compare a public hydrogen station than you would think that they would want to compare to a DC fast charge station. And most EVโ€™s sold today charge at up to 170 KW, and a typical charge session for most EVโ€™s is 20 minutes, not 12 hours. As well, talk to anyone who has filled a hydrogen car and itโ€™s more like a 10 minute process not 5 minutes. Weird story.

Jmho.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
BY
EUGENIA AKHIM
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO
We delve into the reasons why several car giants are pursuing the hydrogen avenue of cars for the future instead of electric-powered vehicles.

As a member of the 300 million gasser club, I will wait for my hydrogen fuel car. I am in no hurry. Evidently EVs are now old news. Wink Wink (this is a joke for the slow ones)

According to business news most EV owners till own a gasser. Maybe hidden away for rainy day????

โ€œAnother drawback to EVs is their charging time, which is too slow. The average electric car (60 kWh battery) takes 8 hours to charge from empty-to-full with a 7kW charging point. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model S (Long Range) takes up to 12 hours to charge using the Tesla Wall Connector, while the Audi E-Tron needs 10.5 hours to charge, accordingy to Kelley Blue Book. Conversely, hydrogen cars require just 3 to 5 minutes to charge a full tank.โ€

LOL. Canโ€™t get more wrong that that. :). Or funnier. :). I mean they could have used a 3 KW charge point and then said it took 24 hours. Or maybe a 1 kw charge point and then said 100 hours. Wonder why the chose 7 kw. Lucky number? :). LOL.

Cheers.
Maybe they chose 7kW because thatโ€™s what most EVโ€™s available today will accept in at home use.
Clicky

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of safety factors required before hydrogen becomes an functional everyday fuel for vehicles.

Quote From OSHA:
Hydrogen used in the fuel cells is a very flammable gas and can cause fires and explosions if it is not handled properly. Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas.
End Quote

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I will wait for my hydrogen fuel car. I am in no hurry.
If you decide not to wait, I think any of the current crop of EVs would tow your RV just fine.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I understand from recent news readings that fast EV chargers are in short supply in USA. Do you still own a gasser???? I am starting a poll for fun and grins.

Not sure if you are asking me or somebody else. We havenโ€™t owned a gasser in over 7 years. Sorry, not up on DC fast chargers in the US. We didnโ€™t have any issues with the availability of DC fast chargers on our cross Canada tour, or so far on our BC interior and Vancouver island tour. Still lots of room for improvement off the main routes. More going in everyday though. Also, west coast US hasnโ€™t been a problem for us. Havenโ€™t had any experience further inland yet.

Safe travels.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand from recent news readings that fast EV chargers are in short supply in USA. Do you still own a gasser???? I am starting a poll for fun and grins.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
BY
EUGENIA AKHIM
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO

Cheers.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
BY
EUGENIA AKHIM
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First time gas got to $1.999 I bought a E-bike. Left 1 pickup at work in case something came up, another at home for same reason. Saved enough gas in the next 5 months to pay for the bike. Plus the 20 minutes twice a day dropped my blood pressure a bunch.
When we can no longer drive our 17 YO vehicles, we will stop driving. But if I could of bought a EV with 100 mile range for near same money when bought wife's car would have EV.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't own an EV but I drove my buddy's Tesla and I was immediately sold!
It instantly and totaly changed my opion of EV after that drive.
It made me realize that the ICE is obsolete. No more pistons, crankshaft oil changes excessive heat etc.
After driving the Tesla I understood why most of the major manufactures have stated that are switching to EV and ceasing production of ICE cars in the no too far off future.
If you have the opportunity to experience a Tesla first hand do so, it is very enlightening.
While you may not be sold the way I was, you will certainly get a better understanding of what the EV fuss is all about
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We have been an EV only family since 7.5 years ago. Retired last year and down to one vehicle that is also our tow vehicle. 2022 Tesla model Y with tow package and AB performance package. Serves us well.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Daily driver is a 2019 Nissan Leaf...love it!
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion