cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people put power awning in every night?

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
With my old manual awning, I used to put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to tie it down. Never had an issue or thought about bringing it in in high winds. Now with the power awning I'm afraid of every little gust of wind and I've been bringing it in every night. DW thinks I'm being paranoid. I'm wondering how many others bring it in every night? Or do you leave it out if the weather forecast is decent?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
70 REPLIES 70

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
el.jefe wrote:
With my old manual awning, I used to put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to tie it down. Never had an issue or thought about bringing it in in high winds. Now with the power awning I'm afraid of every little gust of wind and I've been bringing it in every night. DW thinks I'm being paranoid. I'm wondering how many others bring it in every night? Or do you leave it out if the weather forecast is decent?

I bring mine in any time I am not around the trailer and every night. IT takes so little time to do why not do it. My wife too thinks I am paranoid. And we have lived through massive storms in a tent and lost one bag awning on our popup before we got this trailer so she knows what can happen.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Just know what the weather will be like before going to bed. If the weather has rain or heavy clouds, I put it in and cover everything up. If it's to be clear, then I leave it.

Maybe a month ago at the CG, hot, beautiful out with 0% chance of rain. Storm rolled through with high winds and ripped off the awnings from my 2 neighbors who said when they got back that 'there was supposed to be no rain'

I have seen too many times where it was nice out then turned ugly fast. It doesnt have to last long to tear one up. When we are gone or at night I also bring it in, it literally takes 10 seconds to do and then I dont need to run out in my underwear at night which is not a pretty sight but has happened LOL.

The bad part is that in the old manual style awnings if my neighbors were gone and a storm started up, I have brought in their awnings but with the new electric ones there isnt much I can do to help them.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
jbjuices wrote:
Just know what the weather will be like before going to bed. If the weather has rain or heavy clouds, I put it in and cover everything up. If it's to be clear, then I leave it.

Since they aren't actually intended to protect anything, I just forget about using it entirely.

Amazing, it seems to do a fairly good job of keeping our picnic table, camp chef stove, coolers, and other items dry and in the shade. A bonus I guess.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:

Since they aren't actually intended to protect anything, I just forget about using it entirely.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was towing, so I didn't stop to take a photo, but as I was pulling out of a campground this AM, I passed a Class A with an automatic awning deployed. The arm on the front was bent upward and the awning roller was against the side of the RV. The awning fabric was flapping in the breeze.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
el.jefe wrote:

You certainly are not being paranoid. A small gust will cause the electric awning to move. A strong enough gust will destroy it.

We camp seasonally and started with our Class C motorhome which had an electric awning. We camp directly across from a farm, so it can get windy at our site when it is windy no where else. We used tie downs with heavy duty 7" springs. The springs allow the awing to gently move in heavy winds so the awning fabric doesn't stretch or rip. They also take stress off the anchors during a windy spell.

If you use the tie downs, don't make the mistake I see lots of people make. For some reason, people think it is a good idea to put the anchors in front of the awning (meaning away from the side of the camper). This puts the tie downs at an angle that is easy for the wind to just rip the anchors out of the ground. The anchors should be inline with the awning tube making it more difficult for wind to pull the anchors out of the ground.

After 4 seasons at our windy site, we've had lots of storms with high winds and the awning has survived without issue. We had one storm where winds were predicted at 20 - 30 mph gusts, but we got much strong gusts than that. The awning survived, but the springs didn't - they were stretched from 7" to more than 2 feet. The Camco tie down kit was $18 and the new springs were about $10. Best $28 insurance we've ever purchased it.

-Michael

Although throwing one of those Camco straps with the springs is better than nothing at all, adding poles to stake it down solid makes everything a solid connection and supports the tube itself from being pushed down by wind, as the arms themselves will only take so much before they deflect.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
I always bring the awning in at night. There is no need to leave if out and unexpected storms pop up during the Summer so I feel better bringing it in at night.

X2 for us

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When I first started camping saw a number of awnings ripped off of rigs when the wind suddenly came whipping up - in one campground a friendly neighbor took my awning in when the wind came up when I was on an extended walk. I now bring my awning in at night or when I am away from the rig for an extended time --- takes about a minute to bring in my awning.
Kevin

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Jackfate wrote:
Never leave it out overnight or if I leave camp for more than a few minutes. We get some crazy weather anymore.

This is exactly what we do. It was a pain with our manual awning, but now with the power awning it takes seconds to bring it in. We always try to get shady spots, so the awning doesn’t do too much for us anyway.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
In the mountains with fickled wind conditions, always roll it up at night and if we're gone during the day. Yes it's electric with a wind sensor.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
el.jefe wrote:

You certainly are not being paranoid. A small gust will cause the electric awning to move. A strong enough gust will destroy it.

We camp seasonally and started with our Class C motorhome which had an electric awning. We camp directly across from a farm, so it can get windy at our site when it is windy no where else. We used tie downs with heavy duty 7" springs. The springs allow the awing to gently move in heavy winds so the awning fabric doesn't stretch or rip. They also take stress off the anchors during a windy spell.

If you use the tie downs, don't make the mistake I see lots of people make. For some reason, people think it is a good idea to put the anchors in front of the awning (meaning away from the side of the camper). This puts the tie downs at an angle that is easy for the wind to just rip the anchors out of the ground. The anchors should be inline with the awning tube making it more difficult for wind to pull the anchors out of the ground.

After 4 seasons at our windy site, we've had lots of storms with high winds and the awning has survived without issue. We had one storm where winds were predicted at 20 - 30 mph gusts, but we got much strong gusts than that. The awning survived, but the springs didn't - they were stretched from 7" to more than 2 feet. The Camco tie down kit was $18 and the new springs were about $10. Best $28 insurance we've ever purchased it.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't leave it out when we are gone for the day. Unless I expect strong winds at night, we have left it out over night. It keeps the front of the camper dry in rain or dew and keeps the sun at bay on that side so we can sleep longer and cooler in the summer.

We always make sure to keep the arms clear of obstruction at night so that I can easily retract it if we hear wind or banging.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Never leave it out overnight or if I leave camp for more than a few minutes. We get some crazy weather anymore.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Our power awning has the manual sensor. I leave it out and if it starts to flutter and bang my wife slaps my head and says bring in the awning. Works for us. Dave

Hmmm, I have never even thought about the awning and am realizing I probably should. But like you, I have one of those manual sensors that is extremely dependable, quite persistent, uses more of a push than a slap although that is definitely within the parameters of the device and is a pleasure in many other ways.