cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people put power awning in every night?

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
With my old manual awning, I used to put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to tie it down. Never had an issue or thought about bringing it in in high winds. Now with the power awning I'm afraid of every little gust of wind and I've been bringing it in every night. DW thinks I'm being paranoid. I'm wondering how many others bring it in every night? Or do you leave it out if the weather forecast is decent?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
70 REPLIES 70

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Electric awnings are all about push button convenience.
It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick, but there is really nothing to debate. Bring it in. Why take a chance? Extend or retract requires little effort.
Just push that button at bedtime and push it again in the morning.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be on the opposite side of most others and very rarely ever bring it in unless the wind really kicks up. Otherwise, it's open from the time I arrive to the time we leave weather we are at the site or not. Keeps chairs and bikes dry if it rains.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where i am camping. At the beach and places with wind all the time for sure. In the woods with no wind only comes in when we are not on the site.

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Related question I usually leave the awning out just enough to cover the top of the kitchen slide at night, am I asking for trouble, and how far out is too much?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel
2018 Jayco T32C
Reese Straight-Line trunnion WDH

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I leave it open unless the weather looks super threatening.

I use collapsible poles left over from tent camping and adjustable tent guy lines attached with a carabiner.

I've only been up once at night to quickly stow it.
\

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My awning is rolled up unless I am actively using it.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Bring it in every night....
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Bocifus
Explorer
Explorer
Left my awning out one night. Wind came up while we were sleeping. Was awakened by the end of the awning crashing through one of our doors. Awning goes up whenever we are going someplace during the day and when we retire for the night.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our previous trailer had manual awning, we used the side clips to reduce flap and had it out in some strong winds. Sold that trailer when we bought new to us with electric awning. It is not a sturdy so it goes in when we are sleeping or away or if the wind starts blowing. We camp in more full hookup sites with newer trailer since we tend to enjoy the AC when the nights don't cool that much (or this year, smoke in the air so really can't leave windows open).

My brother in law was telling me (we camped together last summer) that his manual awning is much stronger than my electric one. I agreed but told him I would put mine in, even if it was manual in the winds we were sitting in. A few moments later, we watched his awning fly over the top of his trailer, mangling the supports and shredding his awning fabric. His eyes were big and said it had not happened to him before (although when his son borrowed his trailer, he left awning out and damaged it some)..

Your choice, but I would rather tie a ezup shelter down and lose it than tear up my awning (much more expensive).

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Rule #1: bring in the awning any time you leave. Every night is a different story with me, I don't do it every night. If there is a possibility of storms at night then maybe, at least I am there if anything comes up.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
I put ours in every night and any time we leave. It is so quick and easy to retract it and then I don't worry while I am away or in the middle of the night.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine in every night and anytime I'm away from the rig for more than 30 minutes or so. I don't want the awning Gods slapping me down and destroying my awning. I've seen it happen to many times.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
I just like not having to worry about whether I remembered it or not. It's the reason I installed maxxair covers, because when I get caught out in the rain somewhere it's hard to be more than 95% sure I closed the vents, and then inworry about it the whole time.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I do have to say that I would never leave the awnings out if I leave the site for a lengthy period of time. I did that one time with our first Pop-up and as we were out a storm quickly came through and all I can think about is my awning and my screened canopy. Got back and both were blown into the woods. I usually set my camp up with nothing sitting out that I care to get wet. Everything goes under the camper, my grill/stove top gets a grill cover and my outdoor kitchen is closed up.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
I typically leave them out but I always check the hourly forecast before I leave CG or go to bed.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro