cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much off MSRP in this economy?

Jfresh
Explorer
Explorer
I have read in the past that people have got up to 30% off MSRP. With a msrp of 29000 I was shooting for 20%. The unit is a 2015 but they are only offering 17% off and I really feel that it is not the best I could do. I love the negotiations and am willing to walk at anytime. What do you think is fair. I am willing to leave a little meat on the bone but I just want to be in line with everyone else.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 3.73 4x4 Mega Cab, TOYO MT 4080LBS, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift SuperHitch and Tie Downs.
2015 Lance 865
23 REPLIES 23

Jfresh
Explorer
Explorer
lincolnmatthews wrote:
I to got a "good" deal in Yakima on our new Lance, about 25% off list & dealer cost on options. They didn't even show inbound frt on the Sales Order, (but I know I had to pay it somewhere). They also pointed out that they don't charge the Documentation Fee that they "are allowed" to charge under Wa State laws. They say it at the discretion of ea dealer to chg this.
I maybe could have neg further on the price, but didn't even try. I was satisfied with the price & service, & didn't want to come across as a "bung hole" IMO anyway!. Good-Luck

I will give them a call. I knew I was getting the run around earlier. Just talked to a dealer down south. He was 25% off and no BS. I could factor in the gas money but I would enjoy the trip so it really doesn't factor in.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 3.73 4x4 Mega Cab, TOYO MT 4080LBS, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift SuperHitch and Tie Downs.
2015 Lance 865

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
lincoln...Dwight is a good Lance dealer person...same with both my Lances...you got a good deal...he is straight up for sure. AND if anyone needs aftermarket stuff call him for price and it will most likely be dropped shipped...already have some stuff priced and ready to order next year when I do the rebuild. He has a folder on my stuff...just waitng for the go order.

I wish all business could be done like that! (no I do not get a cut just a thank you for sending folks his way and a cup of coffee when I stop bye to say hello.)
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I to got a "good" deal in Yakima on our new Lance, about 25% off list & dealer cost on options. They didn't even show inbound frt on the Sales Order, (but I know I had to pay it somewhere). They also pointed out that they don't charge the Documentation Fee that they "are allowed" to charge under Wa State laws. They say it at the discretion of ea dealer to chg this.
I maybe could have neg further on the price, but didn't even try. I was satisfied with the price & service, & didn't want to come across as a "bung hole" IMO anyway!. Good-Luck

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Tuna, I use the 80% as a place to start in my mind...loads of factors as you may realize. Popularity of vehicle, availability, dealer location, is it on the lot or ordered...many more factors. Do research. When I bought my truck end of 2003...ordered it 2004TCD...they didn't have to pay flooring or any dealer BS to do an order...they understood I knew that...know the equipment you want, and if off the lot and something on the car you would not order tell them I don't consider that as needed and would like to order...they will find a way to make it work.

Also make an offer that included the tax and lic...let them work it back to the price. IF trading in do not do trade in until you have a "no trade cash price", then say how much will you give me...have them add stuff "no cost" like seat belt extenders (you will like them) they will have to order them hardly any dealer stocks them. Don't be afraid to get up, do not fall in LOVE, If they are dragging out the process, tell them you'll see them in a day or two when they can give you the attention you need...they are in the SELLING business, we as buyers are not well infrmed across the buying public, they play on that.

NOW how do you figure the price if you only have the tax rate and total price. I.E. Total price divide by 1 plus tax rate = price Total price is $62.13 tax rate is 9.4% therefore 62.13/1.094=56.79 tax is 62.13-56.79=5.34

It makes them think and may not really know how to do that...so if car is 29,500 x 80% = 23600
your tax rate is 9.4% =2218 total is 25818 so offer them 24000 including tax. that makes your offer really 21937 car price which is 74% of the sticker price of 29500. Hope you get where I am going...got to beat them at their game...it is fun.

Rememeber you cannot show that you love the car...and that you can walk away...and will not stand for being shuffled around...get the sales guy that can make the deal...if they do I'll check with the sales manager BS...tell them get someone who can deal, the sales guy still gets his%. If both of you go into buy the one doing the sitting walks out to show room/lot...then you say I'll have to converse with them, you walk out and discuss where you are going to have lunch and have them put an angry face on and shake head "NO"...you shrug and walk in with head down...it is all a game...just like when the catcher goes to the mound (Hey do you see the cutie in the second row?)

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Research and buying game face, double team always helps, never be togehter at negoiations...if drags out have other person come in and say we are going to be late, got to go...they don't want you to walk! Start to make them uncomfortable...THEY PLAY THE GAME EVRY DAY WE DON'T!!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I don't know where people get this 30% nonsense. It keeps coming back to this forum like a bad penny and each and every time it is debunked as pure B.S.. Like others have said there is no discount you can "expect" to get. I've dealt with dealers who sell at MSRP, period. That's the price, and if you don't like it, we'll trap you here and hold you hostage until you sign on the dotted line. Somehow they remain in business.

I agree...I threw out the BS flag a long time ago
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And remember what Chevy admitted to doing with their trucks earlier this year. They raised the MSRP just so they could allow their dealers to take more off of the MSRP than Ford or Dodge. And the public falls for it every day.

And when one mfg offers less of a percentage off, it may just be that they priced their product more realistically to begin with?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't know where people get this 30% nonsense. It keeps coming back to this forum like a bad penny and each and every time it is debunked as pure B.S.. Like others have said there is no discount you can "expect" to get. I've dealt with dealers who sell at MSRP, period. That's the price, and if you don't like it, we'll trap you here and hold you hostage until you sign on the dotted line. Somehow they remain in business.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Try the email bid route. We did, as I sent our wish list on the model and options we wanted to just about every AF dealer on the west coast (after researching each dealer a bit for good/bad reviews) and got a fair number of responses. Ended up at Thunder RV in La Grande, OR, great people and a fair price. They stuck by their original quote, wouldn't budge off of it, but no other dealer would beat it. Very happy with our unit, deal and after the sale service from them.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I think generalizations about the amount of discount one can expect from dealers paint a very inaccurate picture. It's going to have more to do with local competitive pressures than anything else. If dealer A is getting undercut by dealer B constantly, he's going to have to offer discounts to compete. Try to find another dealer and play them off each other and see what happens.

Of course this is a lot of work so maybe look for something used in your price range.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
MSRP is a fiction. Even the dealer's invoice is not an accurate number. Dealers get a kickback or discount from the manufacturers based on the number of units sold during a sales period. They can lose money on a few cars if it puts them into a higher bracket as the discount applies to every car and truck they have sold during that sales period.

When a vehicle is in very short supply I will offer the dealer $1,000 over invoice and 100% of the time they are eager to do the deal. My last truck purchase was in 2011 when I bought a truck a month after the 2015 trucks started to appear. MSRP was over $58,000 and I paid less than $42,000, and I got the dealer to include at no charge a bed liner, chrome side steps, tow mirrors, and a GM diamond plate toolbox.

My neighbor special ordered a 2012 truck with the gas V-8 and he paid more than I did for mine with the diesel engine and he did not get the side steps or other free items.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
My Lance dealer in Yakima was very fair. Price was super well below local Puget Sound dealers and then he didn't mark up any extras/options when we ordered. My premise when buying a car is to pay no more than 80% of asking/MSRP...no dealer add ons included.
Do you usually find dealers on autos go for it at 80% of msrp. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Subaru next week.The dealer is in Palm Springs, Ca.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Jfresh
Explorer
Explorer
The dealers just seem a lot tighter than I expected. Then again my search of the west for 2015 865's has only yielded 2 viable options thus far. I'm willing to wait for more local inventory if that means a significant savings. But I would sure like to use it over the holidays.
2015 Lance 865

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
The economy is improving, the price of fuel is down and more people are retiring and buying RVs. The longer you wait (especially with spring coming) the less of a discount you're going to find. I'd buy now unless you're more into it for the haggling rather than actually buying.

Bill

Good points, you can tell the economy is improving and people have returned to buying RVs. I see dealers with more stock and dealers opening new locations.
They wouldn't be doing that if rigs weren't selling
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
Over the past Labor Day weekend we purchased a 2015 Jayco Eagle. We got the dealer to take 33% off the MSRP.

Maybe on a travel trailer or 5th wheel here on the east coast, but TCs are different. A lot fewer TC dealers here in the east and the dealer knows that so thats to their advantage.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods