cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do you rotate tires?

Ezbagr
Explorer
Explorer
Just read the thread where a guy was complaining about terrible tire life with general tires. I have a 1 ton dually 2 wheel drive 2007 Dodge Ram and I get 80,000-85,000 miles out of the General tires. I think the key is rotating the fronts to the back every 10,000-12,000 miles. I will rotate the fronts to the right rear and 10,000-12,000 miles later put the fronts on the left rear.
Another thing that I do is I only run 55-60 PSI in the rears even with towing a 13,000 pound fifth wheel. I do run 70 PSI in the front.
28 REPLIES 28

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike mck wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
One is supposed to rotate tires?!?!?!? you must have the same tread front and rear then eh! My single wheel rigs I rotate, BOTH duallies have traction on the rear, and a hwy on the front. Not too good to rotate in that kinda use. ALong with the fronts are a different size width wise than the rears. Same diam, So I suppose I could run the wider ones on the rear with the skinny ones.........

I also heard a rumour I am supposed to balance the rear duals too!?!?!?!????? hmmmmmm, or trailer tires also! hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Marty

MARTY
I run steers on all 6 on my F550. My sons shop runs them that way on their tow trucks and get 75 to 80K out of them. As far as rotating it's not a good thing on a Dually. Rears should be same diamiter if not 1 tire is carrying more of the load. Rotatingthe fronts to the back assures you have an unmatched set.

I agree!

The most I would think of doing is side to side on the front and side to side on the outside duals.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
One is supposed to rotate tires?!?!?!? you must have the same tread front and rear then eh! My single wheel rigs I rotate, BOTH duallies have traction on the rear, and a hwy on the front. Not too good to rotate in that kinda use. ALong with the fronts are a different size width wise than the rears. Same diam, So I suppose I could run the wider ones on the rear with the skinny ones.........

I also heard a rumour I am supposed to balance the rear duals too!?!?!?!????? hmmmmmm, or trailer tires also! hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Marty

MARTY
I run steer front and rear on my F550. My sons shop runs them that way on their tow trucks also F550's and get 75 to 80K out of them. As far as rotating it's not a good thing on a Dually. Rears should be same diamiter if not 1 tire is carrying more of the load. Rotatingthe fronts to the back assures you have an unmatched set.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I usually rotate when the rears wear down about 1/16 to 3/32nds less than the fronts. Usually when tires are new I rotate more frequent. As the tire become more worn rotation intervals become longer and longer.

I like keeping my most worn tires in the front.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I installed Bilstiens at around 10K and had the front end properly aligned to 1/16" toe in instead of the factory spec of 1/4".

It is a waste of time and money to rotate a dually tires. I have Alcoa Wheels from the factory, It would not have made any difference.

Honest question. What difference does the type of wheel make in wether or not you need to rotate your tires?

To properly rotate my dually tires since I have Alcoa polished aluminum wheels on the front and on the outside rear and the inside rear are steel would require the tires to be dismounted and installed on either a aluminum wheel or steel wheel. You can't just rotate tire and wheel to a different spot and then snap on the stainless steel hub caps like you can with steel wheels.

Hope I explained it correctly.

You can still swap sides though and a lot of times that will help more than you would think.

My outside rear tire was worn a bit more than the other 3. The salesman said that is normal for a dually. I would guess that is because of the crown in the road. I may swap sides that would be easy in my driveway.

I will keep an eye on the wear and rotate if needed, it is free now with the new skins.

I just hate having anyone touch my truck if not needed. If you are not careful the wheels can be scratched just removing the center caps.

I agree, my vehicles have never seen a shop. I even take my wheels off and take them to the shop to have new skins put on them.

Most of the time the inside duels will wear faster than the outside. If you get any feathering on the front swap sides. You can usually adjust the air in the duels to help wear. If your outside is wearing quicker then run the inside about 5 psi more than the outside just watch for feathering on the outside tire or center wearing on the inside tire.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I installed Bilstiens at around 10K and had the front end properly aligned to 1/16" toe in instead of the factory spec of 1/4".

It is a waste of time and money to rotate a dually tires. I have Alcoa Wheels from the factory, It would not have made any difference.

Honest question. What difference does the type of wheel make in wether or not you need to rotate your tires?

To properly rotate my dually tires since I have Alcoa polished aluminum wheels on the front and on the outside rear and the inside rear are steel would require the tires to be dismounted and installed on either a aluminum wheel or steel wheel. You can't just rotate tire and wheel to a different spot and then snap on the stainless steel hub caps like you can with steel wheels.

You can still swap sides though and a lot of times that will help more than you would think.

My outside rear tire was worn a bit more than the other 3. The salesman said that is normal for a dually. I would guess that is because of the crown in the road. I may swap sides that would be easy in my driveway.

I will keep an eye on the wear and rotate if needed, it is free now with the new skins.

I just hate having anyone touch my truck if not needed. If you are not careful the wheels can be scratched just removing the center caps.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't like the steel wheels on our 2001 chev dually but after talking to other guys with fancier wheels I decided steel wheels are just fine and on the 2nd truck with them. Pretty isn't always everything.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that you have to mount/dismount (I have the same wheels). Discount Tire does it for me for $40. So it's a matter of not wanting to take that step, not that the type of wheels make a difference for wear.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twice a year.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles at the same time as the oil is changed. Got lifetime rotation and wheel balancing for very little extra. I have 4WD and this tends to be harder on the front tires and rotating has helped considerably.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ezbagr wrote:
Just read the thread where a guy was complaining about terrible tire life with general tires. I have a 1 ton dually 2 wheel drive 2007 Dodge Ram and I get 80,000-85,000 miles out of the General tires. I think the key is rotating the fronts to the back every 10,000-12,000 miles. I will rotate the fronts to the right rear and 10,000-12,000 miles later put the fronts on the left rear.
Another thing that I do is I only run 55-60 PSI in the rears even with towing a 13,000 pound fifth wheel. I do run 70 PSI in the front.

I started the thread about the poor mileage and blister on the front tire. I always get 100-120K on my tires but these were over 1/2 gone by 23K. 80psi front 55psi rear duals.

The guy at Discount Tire said they were junk also. Maybe they made a better tire in 07???