cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to lube slider rail?

dieselenthusias
Explorer
Explorer
How often am I suppose to lube the slider rail? As you can see in the pic, it's just a single rail on a rather small slide-out.

2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel
2006 Dodge Cummins
8 REPLIES 8

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I learned something here today that's for sure

dieselenthusias
Explorer
Explorer
According to my Jayco owners manual, I found this:

"Your slideout system has been designed to
require very little maintenance. To ensure a
long life of your slideout system, read,
understand and follow these simple
instructions. This system contains a pre-lubed
bearing that is lubricated when the room is
moved in and out. Do not spray oil or grease
on the rails while the room is extended."
2006 Dodge Cummins

dieselenthusias
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
This from Lippert Slide out manual (If you have a Lippert system which it looks like)

The only paperwork that I received when I purchased the RV is a Trouble Shooting Guide from M-Tech Corporation for our 29" Single Arm Universal Slide. The Trouble Shooting Guide doesn't address how to maintenance or maintain the slide, but it does address how to adjust the room up and down, side to side, adjusting the room to the "in" position, how to remove the motor, how to install the motor, and how to remove and replace the transmission.
2006 Dodge Cummins

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This from Lippert Slide out manual (If you have a Lippert system which it looks like)

SYSTEM MAINTENANCE
The
Lippert Electric Slideout System
has been static tested to over
4,000 continuous cycles with out any noticeable wear to rotating or
sliding parts. It is recommended that when operating in harsh
environments (road salt, ice build up, etc.) the moving parts be kept
clean and can be washed with mild soap and water. No grease or
lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the
environment and long term dependability of the system
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I hit mine with "Slide out lube" (I think it's teflon) after every trip in the rain or if I drive in especially dusty conditions. It's amazing the difference it makes. The slide moves significantly faster afterwards.
10 years later and it still works like new.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not suppose to 'lube' them at all....'lube' attracts dirt which attracts moisture and can cause rust and wear on mating surfaces

The rail/teeth should be wire brushed and a dry graphite sprayed on. The graphite goes on wet then drys to a film.

I have double rails on 2 slideouts. I clean/treat them once a year. Rig is 7 yrs old and no issues.
For the hydraulic piston that moves the rails I also once a year wipe the shaft down when ram is fully extended with a clean rag using silicone spray
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dieselenthusias
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
I lube mine with dry graphite every couple of years and it's a super slide that's 42" deep.

Same here. To prevent gumming things up, I've been spraying it once every two years. I was wondering if I should spray more often. We take the trailer out several times throughout the summer and a few times in the spring and a few times in the fall. I have a can of the CAMCO "Slide Out Lube and Protectant". It does contain petroleum, but it's suppose to leave a non-greasy residue. I haven't had any problems with the slide-out since buying new in '08, but didn't want to neglect it either.
2006 Dodge Cummins

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I lube mine with dry graphite every couple of years and it's a super slide that's 42" deep.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population