cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How To Tear Off Your Truck Camper Jack Made Easy

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
How To Tear Off Your Truck Camper Jack Made Easy.

No need for more words, the video tells the story. I'll be studying Mountain Cowboys S&S Red Repair video for this one.
45 REPLIES 45

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
ticki2 wrote:
I think it has more to do with the color of the cones and the fact that it indicates to oncoming traffic that the vehicle is parked and not moving

Nope.. it is policy, as JRscooby stated. Has little to nothing to do with other traffic.

JRscooby wrote:
You ever see van or pickup setting with cones by the corners? Do you imagine somebody thinks it is easier to see the cone than the vehicle, so people won't run into the van? No. It is because it has been proven if a driver walks around their vehicle before they get in they are much less likely to hit something when they start to move.

Bummer this happened, and has been said....every....single.....one of us has had 'awchit' moments and screwed something up. Hate to see it.

And I'm on the side of..could always wish something had been better marked, etc, but in the end, I own it 100%. Bollards are a pain, always imperfect, and there for a reason. No different than curbs. How many cars have torn off their front spoiler because the curb was just a bit to tall, or whatever. Are we supposed to nerf/flag those too? No, it's on us, the driver.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I think it has more to do with the color of the cones and the fact that it indicates to oncoming traffic that the vehicle is parked and not moving
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You ever see van or pickup setting with cones by the corners? Do you imagine somebody thinks it is easier to see the cone than the vehicle, so people won't run into the van? No. It is because it has been proven if a driver walks around their vehicle before they get in they are much less likely to hit something when they start to move.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
3 tons wrote:
Iโ€™m starting to see a market opportunity for Nerf Post ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

And in the event of a water landing it would work as a flotation device. : )

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m starting to see a market opportunity for Nerf Post ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

I took out my front bumper once on a concrete divider curb at a trade show I was doing. It was below my line of sight so I couldn't see it, I drove right into it when I went to pull away. Bam! one wrecked bumper.

In that situation, and in this one, they should put little flex poles with a small orange flag on them so the flag is easily visible when the solid object isn't. I'm sure most of us here have bonked something somewhere because it was too low to see in a regular look / mirror check.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If he had hooked on correctly the entire TC could have been unloaded right there ๐Ÿ˜‰

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Nobody's saying to remove the posts, just design them using a little common sense. I'll bet your "99.99%" figure is quite high. I'd imagine they've been hit plenty of times due to their faulty design.

I admit, I'm using trump numbers, but if I had some way to prove it I would bet it averages at least 1000 uses between impacts. And the same in-attention that leads to impact there could in another time/place impact a child. How do we re-design them?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Too bad the boneheads that set up that water fill station, wherever it is, didn't take into consideration that literally EVERY vehicle that gets near it is substantially taller than their guard pipes. I absolutely guarantee you those things have been hit scores of times. Just the sign of an operator that doesn't really care. Too bad. Rant over.

Not sure, but I think the purpose guard pipes is to protect the fill from people that would hit it. Sorry OP, but nobody damaged your stuff but you.

I think I was clear it was my fault. They also know there is a problem with visibility after talking with the attendant. They should put up flags like wheel chairs, dune buggies have to prevent it from continuing to happen.

My point exactly. Anybody knows WHY they're there -- it's pretty obvious. But, it's the owner's responsibility to make the area as safe and navigable as possible. If they KNOW there's a problem, and the neglect to address it, I'd refuse to patronize the establishment again -- there are other fish in the sea. If they won't deal with that issue, how much more are they neglecting?

IMHO, the placement of the guards is the owners attempt to keep things safe, plus protect his property. Posts do not move. Nor will the fill station. As you approach, 99.99% of the people, (Including OP) can see both posts and station, and 99.99% of the time can mark the location between their ears, and maneuver past with no problem. And without the posts, part of the .01% (and IMHO, the ones most likely to want to change the posts) would hit the other structure.
Think about it for a minute; Kids move, do we put flags on them?

Nobody's saying to remove the posts, just design them using a little common sense. I'll bet your "99.99%" figure is quite high. I'd imagine they've been hit plenty of times due to their faulty design.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mkirsch wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
A little off subject, but when I was a teenager, my parents had a 1969 pickup camper and the jacks pivoted to horizontal when traveling. I noticed these days that they all hang down when traveling, making them vulnerable. I wonder why that changed.
JK

The jacks on modern campers are much more securely mounted and much less prone to collapse.

And probably the expense of making them capable of folding up like a light duty trailer tongue jack.
Seems useful though if re-implemented.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JKJavelin wrote:
A little off subject, but when I was a teenager, my parents had a 1969 pickup camper and the jacks pivoted to horizontal when traveling. I noticed these days that they all hang down when traveling, making them vulnerable. I wonder why that changed.
JK

The jacks on modern campers are much more securely mounted and much less prone to collapse.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
Too bad the boneheads that set up that water fill station, wherever it is, didn't take into consideration that literally EVERY vehicle that gets near it is substantially taller than their guard pipes. I absolutely guarantee you those things have been hit scores of times. Just the sign of an operator that doesn't really care. Too bad. Rant over.

Not sure, but I think the purpose guard pipes is to protect the fill from people that would hit it. Sorry OP, but nobody damaged your stuff but you.

I agree it looks like they're doing their job quite admirably. Nobody should be getting that close in the first place, but people cut corners and try to wedge themselves through because they just can't wait... and bad thing happen.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Not sure why you're bent on baggin on the OP Scoob....Bored or just being a jerk?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

I think I was clear it was my fault. They also know there is a problem with visibility after talking with the attendant. They should put up flags like wheel chairs, dune buggies have to prevent it from continuing to happen.

My point exactly. Anybody knows WHY they're there -- it's pretty obvious. But, it's the owner's responsibility to make the area as safe and navigable as possible. If they KNOW there's a problem, and the neglect to address it, I'd refuse to patronize the establishment again -- there are other fish in the sea. If they won't deal with that issue, how much more are they neglecting?

IMHO, the placement of the guards is the owners attempt to keep things safe, plus protect his property. Posts do not move. Nor will the fill station. As you approach, 99.99% of the people, (Including OP) can see both posts and station, and 99.99% of the time can mark the location between their ears, and maneuver past with no problem. And without the posts, part of the .01% (and IMHO, the ones most likely to want to change the posts) would hit the other structure.
Think about it for a minute; Kids move, do we put flags on them?