cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to to keep mosquitoes

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m looking for an effective way to keep mosquitoes out of my tent trailer.

What do you recommend?
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
11 REPLIES 11

LivinTheSaltLif
Explorer
Explorer
Use Permetherin Spray on your tent trailer. I used it all over the window flaps, around. The door, the bunkends, the dining seats & the canvas. It works for a good amount of time & you don't have time without reapplication.

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I definitely will apply many of them on my next outing.

I also found some products on Amazon. I wonder if anyone tried something like these for indoor use. Some can be very expensive.

Pest Block Ultrasonic Pest Repeller

Pest Repeller - Peyou

Solar Mosquito Repellent
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
We have found the OFF lanterns to be effective at keeping the mosquitos away. We were swarmed by them in Newfoundland. 6 or 8 bites walking from truck cab to camper door with many more swarming around.
Put the OFF lantern on a plastic table outside by the back door and it kept them away from the entry door. We have also used them many other times in the last 4 years, always with good results.
You can't use them inside the tent trailer, but putting a couple outside should help.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Use dryer sheets. Put one in each person's shirt pocket, and hang a few inside your rig. It seems to keep them away.

Also, bug spray containing DEET is supposed to be very effective.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
When I saw the title to this post I broke out laughing. We don't have any problems "keeping mosquitoes" in Florida. We just leave water sitting in anything and we have more than we need! Seriously, all of the above suggestions are excellent. Dennis12 is correct, mosquitoes can't fly in wind so set up as many fans as you can. We used to spray the inside of the camper with something like Yard Guard about an hour before bedtime or burn those little coils if you can stand the smell. If all else fails, wear a mosquito net over your head or get mosquito bed nets to close off your sleeping areas. Mosquitoes are more than a nuisance, they can cause serious health problems. lizzie

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
If you have electric turn a fan on.
They will not enter a 2 MPH wind
Dennis Hoppert

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke a cigar inside the tent every day.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to look around all the bottom of the tent flaps and where the the tent bed pulls out when setup. It was so bad on my tent campers I could see daylight thru those places...

I used the 2"x30" window foam strips (WALMART) that come with house window unit air conditioners. Placed these all around both tent bed sides where the flaps attach to the trailer frame.

Then I found a bigger rubber seal to put in place of the flimsy rubber seal that came with the trailer. I mounted this to the top of the frame of the trailer where you pull out the tent bed ends. i had to cut a couple of places to allow the steel guides to pull through ok... I could see daylight big time in this area...

It looked something like this...

google image

We also had alot of holes cut in the flooring for wiring that did not have any weather seals. I filled all of those with RTV stuff...

Also we always have a couple of lights shining up into the trees away from the camper to draw all of the outside insects over to that part of the patio area. My LED strips around my awning does real well not attracting insects when on...

I have good friends that live on the East cost around Charleston South Carolina where they have the little bitty mosquitoes. Seems like they can fly right through the screens and not even slow down haha... My good friends that live inland near the Edisto Beach area always have to put on insect head gear just to go pick tomatoes from their garden. Camping right on the water is great as there is always a strong breeze coming in from the ocean side...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a Starcraft popup, it came with a screen room that attached to the awning. It was pretty effective; I camped at Everglades and Okefenokee with it.

You might try making a screen room out of netting. Maybe clothes pins would work to attach netting to awning and hold the edges together.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Place a bowl of blood on table to lure them away from camper.

LOL...any Type will do...
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Don't camp near a swamp or water source. Have a campfire, use bug spray. Keep door closed. Vinyl windows up, canva up, or stay home
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt