cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How would you maintain this seam?

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 rear seams have a plastic cover over the screws that connect the side, rear and part of the roof. The little plastic piece has cracked and you can see the screws. I bought proflex to re-caulk the area, but my question is should I remove all the plastic covering and just caulk over all the screws? Thanks for your input.

Nothing is leaking, this is just preventative maintenance

2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291
9 REPLIES 9

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
What happened? Weather, sun, rain, outside storage, Florida..

I cringe every month when I write that nearly $200/mo check to the storage facility for our trailer's covered parking spot, but your photo is making me feel a bit better.............

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
So, I had no time to waste as I only have a few days to do work on the TT at home before we go away this weekend (and the HOA gives me a nasty letter about it in my driveway) Anyway, thanks to all suggesting to replace it. I went to CW, got the new stuff, and replaced it this evening (14$) It was easy. I also touched up some caulking around the gutters and other stuff, so I hope all is good for a little while.

Tomorrow install hard wired surge protector, clean the roof, flush and clean the water system and finish installing new tv, (old one fried up which is why I bought the surge protector, among many other reasons to get one)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My Springdale Keystone had those plastic inserts and shortly before trading for our Outback, I noticed a lot of cracking also. My problem was, one side kept coming out of the track.

They are made of hard stiff plastic that is flexible only edge to edge, just enough you can squeeze them to install into that track. Age, weather, the sun, like any PVC type plastic (and I think that's what they are made of), will turn hard and brittle after time and constant exposure to the elements.

There's not much you can do except replace them. You can put putty on each screw hole, but the track will catch water when it rains and the track will become your new gutter. So you really want to keep something in there.

Check with your local RV dealer and see if he can order you a roll of that stuff, or maybe might even have it in stock. You can't fix it, you just have to replace it.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
That "weather striping" does not keep water out entirely...it really is there more to keep sun off the screw seals however I would still replace it. I would also consider looking elsewhere for better striping as I was not impressed with the striping CW has for sale...I returned it.
I love me some land yachting

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
What happened? Weather, sun, rain, outside storage, Florida.. I don't know. What I do know is it is just a tiny piece of junk plastic that after 2 years has cracked, doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. I will search around camping world for this replacement, I didn't realize you could easliy buy replacement strips.

I just found THIS Rubber trim, I guess this is what a few of you have. Alot different than what I currently have installed.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the others. You say that it is plastic. Mine have all been what appears to be a silicone type of rubber. I have never had any failures of it. I had my last TT ten years in the AZ desert and it was going strong when I sold it.. If it is truly plastic, then see about getting a different type. At any rate, you may already have a small leak that hasn't shown up yet, so that piece HAS to be replaced.
Be sure to look over everywhere that this material was used, and if it is the same stuff, then upgrade it now as well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
^^ agreed. Just replace the insert. My three year old trailer's insert looks brand new. What happened to yours!?
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd just replace the vinyl insert. But I'd be kinda concerned that it looks like that after just a year or so.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

greende
Explorer
Explorer
No image...
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72