cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid TT model suggestions?

timmymacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all! I am currently pretty far off from purchasing an RV, but after discussing things with the wife, I would like to begin lining things up for it. Our only experience is tent camping, which we have found to enjoy very much, the reason we would like to transition to a travel trailer is to camp in more versatile weather.

Our first step will be purchasing a used vehicle next year. This is the main reason I am looking possibly getting a hybrid instead of traditional TT, not sure if I can find a bigger reliable truck in my budget. Our only tow vehicle right now is a Chevy Trailblazer that I use with our 5x10 utility trailer, so obviously that needs an upgrade. Currently our children are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2, which makes the truck decision difficult. If they were older, I wouldnt have a problem picking out any extended cab truck used, but due to the amount of room their car seats will take up in the foreseeable future, I think I am leaning towards a used expedition/2500 Suburban/Toyota Sequoia. My main issue hear is budget. I will be able to spend around 10 grand on the vehicle, but every forum I have searched seems to be populated by retirees with unlimited budgets ("Well obviously just buy a brand new Duramax or settle for a V10"), which unfortunately just isn't realistic to me. I searched craigslist for some 3/4 ton trucks in my area, and within my budget they seemed very few and far between, with extremely high mileage

Second step: The trailer. I may be able to find a lighter weight TT that suits my needs depending on the vehicle I find, but I am not getting my hopes up. I have seen several hybrids that look like they would meet most/all of our desires and needs, but there seem to be so many I was hoping some people here could narrow it down to some models for me. So far one of my favorites I have seen is the Jayco Jay feather with a hard slide out, is there a specific term for this? Is there a general guide on the hybrids? I have only read about them recently, but they seem to be a good alternative.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
27 REPLIES 27

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Bringing too much toys?
Depends on where you at in life, interests, and kids.

We have 2 daughters aged 5 and 2. The 2 year old is still in diapers/stroller/bike trailer status.
We bring 2 mt bikes, 1 kid bike, burley bike trailer = family bike rides/burley converts to stroller.
Where we go? Lake front/electric only or unlimited hp river/lake. Either trucktop a canoe, paddles, 4 Life Jackets, center drop in seat, 2 paddles,poles, tackle box.
Unlimited HP? two truck affair, lowe1448T big jon.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
We had a hybrid Starcraft 19CK for 8 yeas here in Maine before upgrading to the Class C. Advantages are the fresh air at night and early morning---- we did some early fall camping-the heaters are very powerful; the A/C kept up up with 90+ degree weather. With 2 young children- they can share a bunk and you 2 can have a bunk. We towed with a minivan and then a Dodge Durango (hemi)--- the Durango or Tahoe will work perfectly with enough power reserve---- you do not need a 3/4 ton. Best time to buy the camper in New England is late August/ early Sept; prices come down and you still will have a chance for 'shake-down' weekend.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
As far as my own experiences go, I just got rid of my 2500HD Silverado because I was getting only 10 mpg when towing and 12 mpg when not towing. I had the 2500HD because the TT I had was heavy and big. I got rid of it because now it's just the wife and myself. We don't need a truck that big that sucks up gas like water.
We bought a Jayco X18D Hybrid last year and have been absolutely happy with it. It weighs in at 3,715 lbs. unloaded, verified by scale. The GVWR is 4,400 lbs. Has only 685 lbs of cargo carrying load but we get by. Camper has three beds and sleeps 10 to 11 people. Most people, in my opinion only, bring why too much stuff with them when camping. We take what we need and leave the rest at home or load it in the truck.
We just bought a new 2014 Silverado 1500 with the new 4.3 Liter V6 that has a 6,000 lb. tow rating and it is very capable of pulling our Jayco. We just returned from a 1,200 mile trip and the truck performed well and had no problems towing uphill, downhill. Averaged 13 mpg. Not towing, 17.6 mpg average. Point being, there are trucks out there that can and will pull a Hybrid or small TT with no problem. You just have to keep in mind your camper weights and vehicle capabilities when towing. A WDH in my opinion, is absolutely mandatory.
As far as storage, we use plastic totes to store towels, clothes etc in the back of the truck and get what we need when we need it. I understand that everyone's needs are different and they need to adjust to meet their needs, the totes meet our needs.
These are my opinions and not meant to offend anyone. I take what I have and make it work. Good Luck in your decision on a camper and tow vehicle.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

I have had 4 kids sleep in ours. Clothes go under the front bench, and side bed cabinets. Food, towels and bedding in the vertical pantry. Toys and extra bedding(darn kids)goes in the cubby cabinets on the rear bunks.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
What I dislike about the 233s is the spartan interior/exterior storage.
I can not visualize a family of 6 or even 4 for more than a weekend. Think deeper into clothes storage, bath towels, beach towels and food requirements for a brood that large.

I like the roo 23ss for a comprimise of bigger kitchen,large interior wards, over head cabinents, and front bunk end endtables, and half decent couch vs 233S with its small kitchen, shallower wards, no end tables, less overhead cabinets, bench seat, and extra bed.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Still thinking? are you looking for new or used? the hybrid I mean. Jayco is probably the biggest and easiest to find. There are a couple in Oxford and Holden, what they have on hind is another matter. Give the closest a call and see if they have any hybrids (expandable), some don't as they are not a big seller. In general the "lighter" you get, the cheaper it's made. Something like the Feather Ultralite X23B floorplan may work for you. It's really a matter of what plan works best for you as an individual.

Hybrids (soft sided/covered bunks) tend to give you more room then comparable sized TT's once they are opened up. For the same amount of opened space they may be lighter. More airy or open feeling then other options. Effected by outside temp more, probably damper feeling when it's humid, more susceptible to external noise. Wives, at least mine, tend to worry about bears getting in. Take more time to setup and take down. Harder to find used hybrids as there are less of them.

If I had little kids I'd not get a trailer that did not have a slide.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Still thinking?? Re the hybrids, didn't notice kids vs no kids mentioned. The ROO/Shamrock 23SS was the top selling hybrid for several years until the 233S came along....3 bunkends - front, rear, street side. If this applies, consider what a PITA it is to make up a dinette or sofa every night and to break it down every morning. If possible, suggest you plan for permanent sleeping area for each person.

Bikes present another issue. HTTs for sure, as well as many TTs, do not have a bumper sufficiently beefy to hold a bike rack. If your family includes taking bikes along, a 1/2 ton pick-up/crew cab would solve that problem.

Something else to ponder, while you're pondering everything else, is HOW you camp. Are you thinking more boondocking/dry camping, state parks, national parks?? Will you want to have water/electric service or does that matter? Will you be outside most of the time or do you tend to head indoors....understand Maine has is great assortment of bugs. If you find that at the buggie season you need to be more indoors, and especially if it's more than the 2 of you, both a dinette and sofa will make life much better.

Re the rear slide/hard side trailer you mentioned....those are called "expandable" trailers. To be a "hybrid" it must have the combination of hard side + canvas. Rear slides are popular but, personal note here, if you plan to camp near salt air, you and the Rust-O-Leum department will become best buddies. My cousin and DH live in Houston and liked to camp at Galveston, but the salt air kept him busy constantly wire-brushing and respraying to keep the mechanism in good repair. Another thing to ponder.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
4 kids? no bikes? I guess you could rent boats/yaks/canoes. I use those toys more than a camp. I live in eastern seabord outdoor mecca best in state trout waters, 800lb black bear, several unlimited HP boating ops, a National Rec Area, Delaware River and have free mass transit canoe portage.

Yep. 3 of them are of bike-riding age, of which 2 are still using training wheels. We did let them bring the bikes on the last trip (carried them in the HTT), but we limited how far from us they could go; we're a bit over-protective, you can say. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Insert 2nd kid, trade the pup, and send the tb to diaper duty.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
the passat was loaded to the gills as well.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Holiday weekend camping became a 2 vehicle affair.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We did not bring toys when we pupped. Our pup offered zero interior storage.The TB carried cooler, clothes, bin of campsite essentials, firewood, atw wagon,25 gallon gray tank, 88lb lab, 2 year old, and dw.

all power/no payload!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
4 kids? no bikes? I guess you could rent boats/yaks/canoes. I use those toys more than a camp. I live in eastern seabord outdoor mecca best in state trout waters, 800lb black bear, several unlimited HP boating ops, a National Rec Area, Delaware River and have free mass transit canoe portage.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
TB suffers from payload. We grossed our SWB 5.3V8 trailblazer with a PUP!

Next two vehicles were 98K3500 Crew Cab longbed, and current K2500 sub. We have two kids aged 2 to 5, canoes, jon boats, mt bikes, and other toys that come along. Thus 1/2 ton anything is not cutting the mustard!
The payload issue is because of all them toys!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ On the other hand, we've always been light campers, so nothing more than bed, food, drinks, and a fishing pole. So a v6 TV or 1/2 ton is plenty for us and our 4 kids.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4