cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid TT model suggestions?

timmymacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all! I am currently pretty far off from purchasing an RV, but after discussing things with the wife, I would like to begin lining things up for it. Our only experience is tent camping, which we have found to enjoy very much, the reason we would like to transition to a travel trailer is to camp in more versatile weather.

Our first step will be purchasing a used vehicle next year. This is the main reason I am looking possibly getting a hybrid instead of traditional TT, not sure if I can find a bigger reliable truck in my budget. Our only tow vehicle right now is a Chevy Trailblazer that I use with our 5x10 utility trailer, so obviously that needs an upgrade. Currently our children are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2, which makes the truck decision difficult. If they were older, I wouldnt have a problem picking out any extended cab truck used, but due to the amount of room their car seats will take up in the foreseeable future, I think I am leaning towards a used expedition/2500 Suburban/Toyota Sequoia. My main issue hear is budget. I will be able to spend around 10 grand on the vehicle, but every forum I have searched seems to be populated by retirees with unlimited budgets ("Well obviously just buy a brand new Duramax or settle for a V10"), which unfortunately just isn't realistic to me. I searched craigslist for some 3/4 ton trucks in my area, and within my budget they seemed very few and far between, with extremely high mileage

Second step: The trailer. I may be able to find a lighter weight TT that suits my needs depending on the vehicle I find, but I am not getting my hopes up. I have seen several hybrids that look like they would meet most/all of our desires and needs, but there seem to be so many I was hoping some people here could narrow it down to some models for me. So far one of my favorites I have seen is the Jayco Jay feather with a hard slide out, is there a specific term for this? Is there a general guide on the hybrids? I have only read about them recently, but they seem to be a good alternative.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
27 REPLIES 27

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
The only additional setup steps hybrids have are dropping the beds and making them. Rockwood has made newer latches so you don't have to reach higher up.

We have a unique StarCraft 21RBH: Bunkhouse hybrid. Served its purpose well with the needs of babies, toddlers, and the occasional guest.

I recommend the Rockwood Roo 23SS over all other models.
Thanks,
Steve
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
TB suffers from payload. We grossed our SWB 5.3V8 trailblazer with a PUP!

Next two vehicles were 98K3500 Crew Cab longbed, and current K2500 sub. We have two kids aged 2 to 5, canoes, jon boats, mt bikes, and other toys that come along. Thus 1/2 ton anything is not cutting the mustard!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Totally disagree on staying away from a hybrid. Many, many of us have enjoyed the camping experience you get with a HTT, but with the amenities included. My one hesitation with a HTT would be your location, but if you notice, our neighbors to the north have zillions of PUPs and HTTs and wouldn't have it any other way. If you decide that a HTT is right for you at this point in life, a 1/2 ton PU or similar with about 8000# towing capacity is plenty and gives you a good 1000# wiggle room. You DO NOT want to be right on the edge.

We had an '07 ROO 23SS and never dreamed we make a change because it fit our needs and we loved the openness and outdoorsy feeling. That said, DH and I are pushing 70 - him moreso than I am, lol - and the additional work involved in set up and break down was getting to be a chore. Granted, it's usually only 15 - 20 min more, but that was what broke the camel's back. We moved to a TT last year - note I did not say moved UP, just made a change - and it has proven a good move for us at this next stage of our lives.

Suggest you spend some time here and on Hybrid Explorer and get some input and suggestions as to what might work for you in a trailer and also a tow vehicle. You may find the HTT perfect and maybe not, then you look into an "expandable", the hardside with a rear slide for the bed, or even a TT. Do plenty of homework. Good luck, happy shopping and happier camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
timmymacnj wrote:
kvangil wrote:
What is the tow rating of your Trailblazer? I know some can tow up to 6500lbs. If that's what you have then it's plenty capable for a decent-sized hybrid (up to 4500-5000lb GW) for a family of 4. We tow a Jayco X23b with Gross weight 4950lbs with a 6000lb-rated tow vehicle and it's adequate. You may not need to break the bank...

I absolutely want to get away from the trailblazer. I do not want to tow anything more than a 2500 pound loaded trailer in a 6 cylinder. I am currently towing about 3700 pounds with it in a move, and very uncomfortable doing so. That Jayco is one of the hybrids I have been considering, doesn't seem like too much of a trade off. Thanks for the advice.

6 cylinder in itself doesn't mean it can't tow. My 6-cylinder has a 12K lbs tow rating with plenty of power and torque. I'd be more worried about stopping the rig and payload rather than engine power/size.
Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ๐Ÿ™‚
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
timmymacnj wrote:
kvangil wrote:
What is the tow rating of your Trailblazer? I know some can tow up to 6500lbs. If that's what you have then it's plenty capable for a decent-sized hybrid (up to 4500-5000lb GW) for a family of 4. We tow a Jayco X23b with Gross weight 4950lbs with a 6000lb-rated tow vehicle and it's adequate. You may not need to break the bank...

I absolutely want to get away from the trailblazer. I do not want to tow anything more than a 2500 pound loaded trailer in a 6 cylinder. I am currently towing about 3700 pounds with it in a move, and very uncomfortable doing so. That Jayco is one of the hybrids I have been considering, doesn't seem like too much of a trade off. Thanks for the advice.

6 cylinder in itself doesn't mean it can't tow. My 6-cylinder has a 12K lbs tow rating. I am more worried about stopping the rig and payload than engine power/size.
Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ๐Ÿ™‚
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
timmymacnj wrote:

We had a V-6 Explorer - same thing - I wouldn't want to tow even a small hybrid with it. We found a good deal on a used F-150 and then upgraded from our popup to the hybrid. You might be able to find a crew cab half ton, or a full size SUV. No need for a 3/4 ton.

Since you have some time, find a local rv show and spend the day (usually in the spring or the fall). You'll see all kinds of options. Just don't listen to the salesman in regards to what you can tow - they are notorious for way over-stating what a vehicle can safely tow. Do that research on your own. Figure out what features are important and what kind of floorplan you like and go from there.

If you like hybrids, Jayco is good and they also make Starcraft. Or Forest River makes a lot of them under the Roo/Shamrock brand and also Palomino Solaire. And there are others out there too.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you've made up your mind ๐Ÿ™‚ If you're considering something like the Jayco 23B, a 1/2-ton should be fine, and should fit in your budget. Good luck!
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

timmymacnj
Explorer
Explorer
kvangil wrote:

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't read the entire post but at least look at www.trailmanor.com for their foldups and small TT's.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Again, if on the fence....don't buy a hybrid....eventually you will want a TT so you won't have to deal with wet bunk ends!! You don't need a 3/4 ton until you get up into heavy TTs. Take your time and look at all the units you can!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
timmymacnj wrote:
. So far one of my favorites I have seen is the Jayco Jay feather with a hard slide out, is there a specific term for this? Is there a general guide on the hybrids? I have only read about them recently, but they seem to be a good alternative.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

the Jayco you're talking about is NOT a hybrid, since to be a hybrid, it has to have the canvas ends.
what you are talking about is a regular TT with the bed slideout on the rear, instead of the side, like most other TT's.

a hybrid TT is a mix of a popup and a TT. body of a TT and canvas bed ends of a popup, hence the term "hybrid".
most hybrid owners are former popup owners and want more amenities and less setup but still want to "sleep under canvas".

since you are skipping the popup stage, you really need to decide if sleeping under canvas still, is something you would still love to do.
if you are on the fence about it, DON'T buy a hybrid.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I would be curious to know why you are looking at 3/4 ton (2500 range) vehicles? You state you are looking at lighter weight trailers or a hybrid, but some of these probably would be fine with a 1/2 ton (or smaller) rig.

I tow my smaller hybrid (Starcraft 18SB) with a Traverse and it does fine. If you want to go bigger in a hybrid or lighter TT, something like a used Tahoe might work.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH