Did you mean:ย 

I'm going on a 2mo deployment. thoughts on my batt in my ram

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
??? any thoughts???

hook them to a trickle charger?
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun
23 REPLIES 23

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I left my 2008 F250 parked outside for 5 months in a Wyoming winter while we went south. It started just fine. It has a Walmart battery about 2 years old. No charger of any kind on it while we were gone.

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck should have an IOD (ignition off draw) fuse in the fuse box. By unplugging this fuse it kills all parasitic losses from the battery for storing the vehicle. Check your owners manual. No need for a battery tender when this is pulled. The fuse will have a yellow plastic retainer clip on it so you can pull it without removing it from the fuse box.

It is item #J13 in the picture below.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to use the BatteryMINDer to any other chargers I've found on the market. Battery MINDer is the only one I've found that desulfates the battery as it charges. It has even brought marginal batteries back to life for me. You can also check out the reviews on Amazon, and see why it gets 4.8 out of 5 stars.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing to do is just leave it connected.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am NOT a big fan of disconnected a 12VDC START BATTERY from a vehicle when setting for a long time. Who knows how many computers are ON-LINE in the newer vehicles. Disconnecting the START BATTERY may reset your computer settings and the manufactures will say NO HARM as the computers will relearn the settings after you drive again a few times.

I had my IDLE DROP BACK to around 400RPMs on my truck after the battery was disconnected for a couple of days when I was replacing my Alternator.

When I hooked everything back up my truck would die when I stopped at a stop sign. It never did relearn the factory setting. After about a week of having one foot one the gas pedal and the other foot on the brake pedal everytime I stopped I final took it to the FORD DEALER and had them reset the computer setting. Cost was $90 for a ten minute work effort.

I now hook up a low trickle charge if my truck is going to sit unattended for awhile...

Now on my RV TRAILERS I have a BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH installed right at the battery terminals and I will disconnect the batteries when setting over the winter months. I will check the battery voltage a couple of times over the winter months. Have no problems with them draining down when totally disconnected.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I just hook up a Battery Tender and forget about it for the winter. (My truck sleeps all winter)
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use a battery maintainer , like a trickle charger but automatic. They are only about $30.

A battery tender is the same thing. I use them all winter to maintain my RV battery. The other option is just disconnect the batteries.

Roy B is correct if you disconnect the battery your computer will have to relearn your driving habits.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I park mine for 6 mos/year. I hook it to a battery tender for a few days...then disconnect both batts completely. I like to put the tender back on it every 2-3 month's after that for a day. Always fires right up in the spring.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the trickle charger or disconnect the battery cables. If the batter is decent shape, the weather is warm and it will be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.