Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
2002 GMC 2500HD....

Bought it with 250 miles on it.

And now it has 142,000.

I feel no need to "upgrade".
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

38 REPLIES 38

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
OldRacer wrote:
Fabguy wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Fabguy wrote:
2002 GMC 2500HD....

And now it has 142,000.

How many sets of injectors? Chris

Still on the originals.
you are most definitely due. `135K to 150 are pretty typical for these models.

Fix what's not broke?

While I have owned this truck I have done regular maintenance as listed in the owners manual (which is the most important feature of ANY automobile IMHO).

I see nothing in the manual that states injectors are a "maintenance item". They are designed to last the life of the engine.

Having said that, I cannot say that this vehicle hasn't been totally problem free. It started with a pinion seal leak at about 60K that was covered under warantee.... Then a rear end "howl" sound that was the result of a poor quality job of replacing the pinion seal about 20K miles later that I paid for myself.

I have also replaced the power window regulators on two of the four windows and have redone the AC system twice.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Fabguy wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Fabguy wrote:
2002 GMC 2500HD....

And now it has 142,000.

Still on the originals.
you are most definitely due. `135K to 150 are pretty typical for these models.

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Fabguy wrote:
2002 GMC 2500HD....

And now it has 142,000.

Still on the originals.
Jeff

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Fabguy wrote:
2002 GMC 2500HD....

And now it has 142,000.

for me and my 03, one set at 88K under warranty. The next set went in at 235K, at my expense. The rest of the truck is so solid and still looks so good (when i clean it up, i have people telling me it still looks new), that i just couldnt see buying a new truck (when every diesel out there has SOME sort of expensive issue from time to time), so for me, spending $5K on injectors to be able to keep driving this truck for at least another 5 years was a financial no brainer.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fabguy wrote:
2002 GMC 2500HD....

And now it has 142,000.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 F350 7.3L just turned 170,000. She is just about broken in! Couldn't be happier with the truck. She's loud and stinky, but she keeps on running strong. And like others have said, having no monthly payments is the icing on the cake. ๐Ÿ™‚
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I would still have my 2003 Ford F-350 Supercab 4x4 Lariat dually with 6 speed manual transmission if it was a 7.3L, but unfortunately it was a 6.0L diesel that was beginning to have issues so I had to move on. I loved the truck and was sad to see it go but we needed a truck that we could trust to go on long trips with.

I would still have my 2005 Super Duty if it wasn't for the 400HP/800ft/lbs of torque 6.7 PSD that sucked me in. :B

I traded the truck in at 7 years and 170k miles. Replaced the EGR valve and cleaned it another time which caused drive ability issues, but took a whopping 30 minutes to replace. It performed really well and took the family in it everywhere. I even preferred driving it over the wifes vehicle when going just about anywhere.

Hind sight 20/20 I wished I would have transferred it to our ranch hand instead of purchasing a 05 dodge cummins. Which btw had more engine issues at 120k miles (all 6 injectors replaced, cracked exhaust manifold).

Your experience with that Cummins was not common. Further, those repairs are MUCH easier and cheaper than EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, head studs, turbo cleaning, FICM replacement, injector replacement, HPOP and fitting issues, bedplate leak repair, etc. (you get the idea) that most 6.0L diesels are prone to. To think a 6.0L diesel is more reliable than a 5.9L Cummins is downright laughable.

Injector failures on the 5.9 common rail are very common to fail at less than 150k miles and transmission failures less than 100k miles. That 05 Dodge was a constant pain in the arse and the wallet, therefore we decided to cut our losses and sell it before planting season.

Both my BIL's 04 and my 05 6.0 PSD trucks were much better trucks than the 05 and 09 Dodges with the 6.7cummins being the biggest POS there ever was. I will say our 07 5.9 DRW has been a decent truck but it has less than 100k miles and sit's most of the time.

The only advantage the 5.9 had was a lack of EGR which allowed long idle times without soot clogging issues, hence the reason we went back to the 7.3's.

No argument from me on the 7.3L; still the best diesel in a Ford pickup! :B I would still take one if I found a cherry in the right configuration.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I would still have my 2003 Ford F-350 Supercab 4x4 Lariat dually with 6 speed manual transmission if it was a 7.3L, but unfortunately it was a 6.0L diesel that was beginning to have issues so I had to move on. I loved the truck and was sad to see it go but we needed a truck that we could trust to go on long trips with.

I would still have my 2005 Super Duty if it wasn't for the 400HP/800ft/lbs of torque 6.7 PSD that sucked me in. :B

I traded the truck in at 7 years and 170k miles. Replaced the EGR valve and cleaned it another time which caused drive ability issues, but took a whopping 30 minutes to replace. It performed really well and took the family in it everywhere. I even preferred driving it over the wifes vehicle when going just about anywhere.

Hind sight 20/20 I wished I would have transferred it to our ranch hand instead of purchasing a 05 dodge cummins. Which btw had more engine issues at 120k miles (all 6 injectors replaced, cracked exhaust manifold).

Your experience with that Cummins was not common. Further, those repairs are MUCH easier and cheaper than EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, head studs, turbo cleaning, FICM replacement, injector replacement, HPOP and fitting issues, bedplate leak repair, etc. (you get the idea) that most 6.0L diesels are prone to. To think a 6.0L diesel is more reliable than a 5.9L Cummins is downright laughable.

Injector failures on the 5.9 common rail are very common to fail at less than 150k miles and transmission failures less than 100k miles. That 05 Dodge was a constant pain in the arse and the wallet, therefore we decided to cut our losses and sell it before planting season.

Both my BIL's 04 and my 05 6.0 PSD trucks were much better trucks than the 05 and 09 Dodges with the 6.7cummins being the biggest POS there ever was. I will say our 07 5.9 DRW has been a decent truck but it has less than 100k miles and sit's most of the time.

The only advantage the 5.9 had was a lack of EGR which allowed long idle times without soot clogging issues, hence the reason we went back to the 7.3's.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Love my 2006 Dodge Mega 2500.

165,000 miles and has been faultless. The only thing I want is a backup camera - all aftermarket ones I look at seem flawed.

I'm sure you left out the transmission problems and the front suspension replacement parts and a set of injectors to boot... :W

Sorry, haven't had any of those problems. You must be thinking of some other brand.

Nope... Me and my wallet know exactly what brand we're talking about! :W

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
My father has an 03 duramax. Think he is finally up to 135000 miles. Needs some injectors and a rear fender. I reskinned the dually box last summer and it only took about two months to give it the kiss that assures it's his. Otherwise it runs fine. We only use it for work related use, pulling a flatbed with a dozer or mini excavator.
He pulls the camper with a 12 duramax with 115000 ish miles. Still like new as he bought with nearly 100k on it but you wouldn't know it. For a time we had identical trucks as I had the exact same one in red and his is black.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Love my 2006 Dodge Mega 2500.

165,000 miles and has been faultless. The only thing I want is a backup camera - all aftermarket ones I look at seem flawed.

I'm sure you left out the transmission problems and the front suspension replacement parts and a set of injectors to boot... :W

Sorry, haven't had any of those problems. You must be thinking of some other brand.