cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I FINALLY found the TT

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking forever. Found what I was looking for an hour from my house and even got them to come down in price for us. Put a deposit down and we are looking at it tomorrow.

238BHS

Payload is 1780 in our 2018 Ford f150/max tow/3.5 Ecoboost/3.55 axle/4x4. I figure we have about 1100 of payload left after passengers. This hitch weight has me a little concerned. Is this where a weight distribution hitch comes into play? He said he can help set up the trailer with whatever it needs. The reviews of the place are very good, and the guy himself has been there for 18 years and tows himself so I feel I'm in good hands. But since I've been on here for a long time, I thought I'd ask what I should be looking for in making this set up work? Any questions I need to ask before purchase? They are doing a full inspection of it he did tell me.
11 REPLIES 11

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest I never even looked at that. I just took the data on the other label GVWR and looked in the book.

Learn something everyday!
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
nmhuntr wrote:
I just bought a 2018. According the brochure the payload capacity is 2050 with my 7000 GVWR (3.5 eco boost, 3.55 145” WB 4x4). The only option below that is 1420 with the 6750 GVWR. One of us is reading something wrong. Don’t mean to question your numbers but it makes me question mine.

Either way I think you are good to go

I love the layout of your TT and hope you really enjoy it.

Thanks! Your exact payload is listed on the yellow sticker inside your door. I would go by that.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2018. According the brochure the payload capacity is 2050 with my 7000 GVWR (3.5 eco boost, 3.55 145” WB 4x4). The only option below that is 1420 with the 6750 GVWR. One of us is reading something wrong. Don’t mean to question your numbers but it makes me question mine.

Either way I think you are good to go

I love the layout of your TT and hope you really enjoy it.
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Payload is 1780 in our 2018 Ford f150/max tow/3.5 Ecoboost/3.55 axle/4x4.

Iwould be much happier with a 3.73 axle but the cost to swap both on a 4x4 is prohibitive.

Don't be afraid to use the throttle on hills !

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
HaulinBass02 wrote:
If I remember correctly off of my 2013 F-150, without a weight distribution hitch, the rating for a tongue load is only 500lbs, 600 at best. Not to mention the weight carrying capacity of the hitch is lower WITHOUT weight distribution meaning you will overload the hitch as it isn’t designed to take that much weight on tthe frame back there without the transfer of weight from a proper WD hitch.
I don’t think much, if anything has changed on the hitch between the years. I highly recommend weight distribution also because the F-150 is sprung fairly soft and it will squat a lot. I know from personal experience.

Was able to figure this out from the sticker under the hitch. Max Tongue wt with WDH is 1320lb, without is 500lbs, so yes it sounds like nothing has changed!

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far, the dealer already mentioned a WDH but are some better than others? What to look for?

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Get a good wdh. Will help a ton. And have fun with it!

Thank you! Is there an industry "best" when it comes to WDHs?

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Get a good wdh. Will help a ton. And have fun with it!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly off of my 2013 F-150, without a weight distribution hitch, the rating for a tongue load is only 500lbs, 600 at best. Not to mention the weight carrying capacity of the hitch is lower WITHOUT weight distribution meaning you will overload the hitch as it isn’t designed to take that much weight on tthe frame back there without the transfer of weight from a proper WD hitch.
I don’t think much, if anything has changed on the hitch between the years. I highly recommend weight distribution also because the F-150 is sprung fairly soft and it will squat a lot. I know from personal experience.
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI. A WDH doesn’t increase payload. It shifts weight forward to the TV front axle and back to the TT axles. Close but within limits IMO. You may need TV airbags to level the TV. Ask your salesperson to supply and install.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Strong candidate for your truck, within spec.