cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want a second RV, either a Nash 17k or a 22H

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide which one.

I like the couch/sofa in the 22H. I like the full pass through under-bed storage in the 17k.

Both are gen-ready.

Any input?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
48 REPLIES 48

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
....I prefer the shades. My Desert Fox had mini blinds and I hated them.
Our TT has mini blinds, also. I'm not a fan of them. We have a window at the head of our bed, and anytime we brush the blinds with a pillow, it is noisy. Shades would be much quieter.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Since pulling the plug on the deal above, I've researched the 17k and 22H a lot more and decided the 2016 model year is the one I'd get. 2015s that I've seen at dealers have mini blinds. 2016s have pleated shades like my truck camper (Arctic Fox 811).

I prefer the shades. My Desert Fox had mini blinds and I hated them.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
... I'd only been there 10 minutes and he was already using the "what would it take to make a deal today!" line on me.

Heck that's my favorite line, "What would it take to make a deal today". I offer a rock bottom price and if they get close I will close the deal.

I actually did that on a 17k about 3-4 weeks ago. The listed price was $23995. Basically it was MSRP, on a 2015 model that had a build date of 1/25/2015 - so it was OLD STOCK. The undercarriage looks like c-r-a-p because it had been delivered to the dealer in inclement weather, while there was deicer on the roads, so there was surface rust everywhere. Dealer didn't even attempt to wash the road grime (dirt, etc) off the undercarriage, even though they bill the delivery drivers a WASH FEE. (don't get me started on WASH FEES)

I initially told the salesman I only had a budget for about $20,000. I also told him I was still in the thinking process, but wanted to find out what the sell price would be. He said "there's no point in me asking the sales manager what a price might be if you aren't ready to buy."
I hate it when sales people pull that **** - it's more high pressure tactics. My "readiness to buy" is based on what the actual sell price would have been. I really hadn't made up my mind at that time if the 17 was the right RV for me. I tend to over-think things.

He then sort of walked off... that was a huge turn off to me. He kind of gave me the brush off.

Low and behold, he changed his tune by the time we got back to the showroom, then he asked the sales manager, and the sales manager said $19,500. I was shocked at the price since it had a generator in it. I can't remember if it had thermal pane windows or not.

I penciled up the deal. A day later they called back and said the credit union wanted a bigger down payment. OOPS. That's the drawback of being self employed.
I pulled the plug on the deal.

End the end, I was fine with pulling he plug on hat deal. A generator isn't really that important. I'd prefer the outside storage space over a generator. I have a pair of Honda EU2000s anyway.

The only really benefit I could so to an onboard gen verses how I use my Hondas is the ability to pre-cool the TT while traveling during the summer.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
fallsrider wrote:
Me personally, I would go with the 22H. I love having a sofa. There are times when you just have to be indoors. The comfort of a sofa is a wonderful thing. But obviously, the decision is yours, not mine.

I agree, I just bought a 17' KZ with the sofa. I like it better than the dinette we had in our other camper.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
In my quest to find a 17k or 22h, I've found that various dealers in the PNW all order them differently.

Some dealers order all Nash units with Thermal Pane Windows, but in Idaho, they don't. Some dealers order them all with generators, other dealers say "most people prefer a Honda EU2000i."

On used units, 2014 and prior (from what I can tell) don't have ladders.
2015 and prior have mini-blinds. 2016s have pull down pleated shades just like my AF811 truck camper.

I looked at a used 18L at a non Northwood Dealer in Oregon - the sales guy was really pushy there. It was a huge turn-off. I'd only been there 10 minutes and he was already using the "what would it take to make a deal today!" line on me.
Heck that's my favorite line, "What would it take to make a deal today". I offer a rock bottom price and if they get close I will close the deal.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Just found this too:

Trailer Life Article: Roughing it Easy

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's something else some dealer are doing: video walk throughs:

Nash 22H

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I found this a few weeks ago - very cool story/blog: Full Timing in a 17K

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
In my quest to find a 17k or 22h, I've found that various dealers in the PNW all order them differently.

Some dealers order all Nash units with Thermal Pane Windows, but in Idaho, they don't. Some dealers order them all with generators, other dealers say "most people prefer a Honda EU2000i."

On used units, 2014 and prior (from what I can tell) don't have ladders.
2015 and prior have mini-blinds. 2016s have pull down pleated shades just like my AF811 truck camper.

I looked at a used 18L at a non Northwood Dealer in Oregon - the sales guy was really pushy there. It was a huge turn-off. I'd only been there 10 minutes and he was already using the "what would it take to make a deal today!" line on me.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
fallsrider wrote:
Me personally, I would go with the 22H. I love having a sofa. There are times when you just have to be indoors. The comfort of a sofa is a wonderful thing. But obviously, the decision is yours, not mine.

I forgot what day it was that I ended up back in Pendleton - Tuesday I think. I cancelled the deal because I got cold feet.

More careful thinking throughout this week has brought me to the same conclusion: When I buy, it will be a 22H.

The friend that had an AF 22H for 8 years told me it doesn't make much sense to have "two small RVs"... I finally realized he was right.
I already have an AF 811 truck camper. If/when I buy something else, it might as well be a tad bigger / more comfortable for longer trips (SOFA!). I plan to keep the camper.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I penciled up a deal on a 17k on Saturday the 30th... but I'm now leaning toward the 22h again.
Easiest solution is to not buy anything, then I don't have any decisions to make.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I made a road trip and looked at this 18L:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/5132900064.html

It's a nice layout, if you don't mind the very narrow bed.

The 18L was only made a few years, 2012-2015 I think.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I looked at both a few times this week.

Each one has pros and cons verses the other, depending upon how someone wants to use it, which is making it nearly impossible to decide which one might better suit my needs, because I keep redefining how I might use a small TT, so I keep going full circle! (this is because I also own an Arctic Fox 811 truck camper, which I intend to keep)

hondaCT90
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a honda eu2000 with us, but not "on" the camper.
Ihave a long thick cable to lock it to the TT frame and I stick it a few feet away from the camper so we don't have fumes or noise when running...great for watching some TV etc in the evening before quiet time...if there is one...
our older Nash is a 25 so a bit bigger than what ya'll are looking at...but our layout starts with the bed in the nose...good closet/cab space and walk around both sides...the bed is on a lift board with the fresh water tank underneath..plenty of storage space still under it (Camper queen size) but a bit of effort cause you have to get down on your knees, lift the bed up (does have hydro arms)..so mostly extra watter bottles, clothes, blankets etc down there.
the "living room" is really just a pair of nice swivel chairs...that's the small part of our rig...but a nice long kitchen counter along the port side with good size double sink, 3burner, micro overhead, plenty of cabinets over and under and then the fridge.
more cabinets and a dinette take up the other side..the bathroom then covers the rear of the camper from side to side..tub/shower, full size sink (not a small camper..but nice house sized faucettes etc), jon, and then more cabinet space...enough for me to have a mounted safe, vacuum, buddy propane heater, etc..and 4 shelves for towels, tp and all...a really great amount of storage thoughtfully done in this rig for 25ft.
the holding tanks of course are in the rear which made me that much more confident that the frame could handle the weight of my honda on the back as I make a point to dump before we head back towards home..so I'm not carrying both waste and the honda on the tail end.
in fact, here is a youtube some one did of a 2009..basically same layout, just has the newer exterior material.. we are still old style metal sides
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=nash+25ft&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004