Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inspection

holly77
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all from a new member,

We are ISO a used 30-35' TT under $8000 and found one on consignment near Houston. The seller does not want an inspection of the trailer. Can anyone say if this is standard and customary for selling on consignment? Should we be suspicious of trailers from sellers not wanting to pay for inspections?

Thank you,
Holly77
24 REPLIES 24

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
Tell my why the seller has to pay for the inspection?

If you want an inspection, the buyer pays for that as far as I know.. You pay for a home inspection.. Not the seller... You pay to have a mechanic look over a used car, not the seller..

If I was the seller, I'd tell you that it's fine if you want an inspection, but I'm not paying for it...

Ditto.

Inspection is the buyer's responsibility as far as I have ever seen/heard.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy any vehicle/RV or whatever without having a proper inspection done. If somebody refused to let me get it inspected, I would certainly think the seller was hiding something.
bumpy

holly77
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, of course, that would be a timely decision providing the seller is honest, and there is nothing wrong with the trailer. However, we bear the brunt if we pull it off the lot, have it inspected, and find major problems. The least they could do is allow a potential buyer to inspect at buyer's expense, but if there is someone else lined up that doesn't care if they buy a lemon - good luck. We really don't care to spend $7500 and take a chance. The trailer does have water damage as indicated by the absence of brackets on the pull out. A wise buyer will want inspection, and the seller is perhaps waiting for an ignorant buyer.

Holly77

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I had a car listed for sale at a very fair price. One buyer wanted to have it inspected and I told him to get lost as I had someone else on their way to look at the same car as we spoke. I sold the car to the next buyer 30 minutes later.

If I have several people interested, I'm not going to allow an inspection. Best case for the seller is the inspection just adds a delay to the sale.

holly77
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your swift replies; this forum has saved us thousands of $! In reply to 2 members' questions:
"Is the seller saying he does not want an inspection done or is not paying for an inspection. The latter of the two I can understand. If he does not want the trailer inspected then I'd say he's hiding something and would walk away.
Now, if your comfortable inspecting the trailer yourself then by all means let him know he needs to have full power, water and propane hooked up so you can inspect it. When we purchased our new fifth wheel my inspection took nearly three hours.
Good luck "

The seller refuses to allow the trailer to be inspected while on still on the lot; therefore, we would have to pay for it in cash, move it off the lot, then have inspected - a big risk. This is a no go.

"I cant imagine the seller ever paying. If they dont want it inspected then run away. Your number one issue is finding water damage. Is this rv at PPL? "

Yes, a PPL, and it has water damage on the pull out - needs new brackets.

Holly77

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
If it is plugged in and the furnace, air conditioning, stove and refrigerator work you can pay for an inspection yourself. If not walk away. Be aware that it takes a long time for the refrigerator to get cold and his being willing to plug it in for an hour would not be enough.
Refrigerators cost a lot to replace.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If I were a seller I sure as heck would not pay for an inspection.
Just like buying a house, that's your responsibility.
Now if he refuses to let anyone inspect it - run.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buyer pays,seller does not want an inspesction? run.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If I was the seller I might insist that I get a copy of the inspection to keep the buyer honest, in the event "issues" were found.
bumpy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sellers never pay for any kind of inspection. If you want an inspection, the buyer always pays for it. This is true if purchasing a home too. That cost is always on the buyer. If you pay for it, I don't think the seller will hesitate for an inspection at all.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
holly77 wrote:
The seller does not want an inspection of the trailer.... Should we be suspicious of trailers from sellers not wanting to pay for inspections?

1. If the seller does not want an inspection, then he is obviously trying to hide a problem. Move on- do not consider buying this RV.
2. If the seller does not want to pay for an inspection, fine. Negotiate your price and pay for the inspection yourself. The price of an inspection is always money well spent.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
you should be paying for inspection. now if the seller is saying no to an inspection on your dime then run.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Buyer pays for inspection, similar to buying a house or boat.

yep, it is the new owner who needs a contract with the inspector so he can fuss at him if there are unresolved issues. if the seller has the inspection, the buyer is left out in the cold.
bumpy

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buyer pays for inspection, similar to buying a house or boat.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD