Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inspection

holly77
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all from a new member,

We are ISO a used 30-35' TT under $8000 and found one on consignment near Houston. The seller does not want an inspection of the trailer. Can anyone say if this is standard and customary for selling on consignment? Should we be suspicious of trailers from sellers not wanting to pay for inspections?

Thank you,
Holly77
24 REPLIES 24

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The buyer ALWAYS pays for a pre-purchase inspection.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Tell my why the seller has to pay for the inspection?

If you want an inspection, the buyer pays for that as far as I know.. You pay for a home inspection.. Not the seller... You pay to have a mechanic look over a used car, not the seller..

Mitch

x2
bumpy

This is your answer. If I was selling something, the buyer would pay for the inspection.

You should not expect a seller to pay for an inspection.

And, if a seller agrees to pay for an inspection, I would be suspicious. The inspection could consist of someone doing a drive by and saying, 'yep it looks good.

If you really want the TT, spend the money and have it inspected.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I cant imagine the seller ever paying. If they dont want it inspected then run away. Your number one issue is finding water damage. Is this rv at PPL?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
holly77 wrote:

We are ISO a used 30-35' TT under $8000 and found one on consignment near Houston. The seller does not want an inspection of the trailer. Can anyone say if this is standard and customary for selling on consignment? Should we be suspicious of trailers from sellers not wanting to pay for inspections?

Thank you,
Holly77

You pay for it.
If seller doesn't want it done , what do you think you should do ?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
holly77 wrote:

Thank you,
Holly77

Is the seller saying he does not want an inspection done or is not paying for an inspection. The latter of the two I can understand. If he does not want the trailer inspected then I'd say he's hiding something and would walk away.
Now, if your comfortable inspecting the trailer yourself then by all means let him know he needs to have full power, water and propane hooked up so you can inspect it. When we purchased our new fifth wheel my inspection took nearly three hours.
Good luck
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

If you want an inspection, the buyer pays for that as far as I know.. You pay for a home inspection.. Not the seller... You pay to have a mechanic look over a used car, not the seller..

Mitch

x2
bumpy

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be selling my 25 footer in October.
Any buyer is welcome to have it inspected, but there is no way I will pay to have it inspected.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

If I was the seller, I'd tell you that it's fine if you want an inspection, but I'm not paying for it...

Once the inspection is done and there are issues, then it's up to the seller to either fix those or adjust the price or ??

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a TT in the last 60 days and paid for it myself. You might try negotiating that you'll pay for it, but if you buy the trailer, they reimburse you for the inspection. Normally I would have done it myself, but the TT was 2600 miles away.

On edit, a couple of other points. If the seller told me he already had an inspection, I might be a little suspicious of it. If the inspector misses something and you find it after the sale goes through (let's say the water heater has a crack in it from bad winterizing) then you're going to want to go back against the seller because he represented it as being in good condition. He's selling the RV "as is, where is", not with based on an inspection he paid for. He's not going to want the liability. If I'm paying for it, the inspector is working for me.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"