cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Install insinkerator in TT

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody installed a insinkerator garbage disposal in their trailer kitchen sink? I don't see why it would be too difficult. My wife likes to cook a lot with vegetables and it would be awfully convenient, like at home, to just dump the veggy remains down the sink and flip the switch to grind them up and swish them away.
28 REPLIES 28

BBuchorn
Explorer
Explorer
Daveyboy must be yanking our chain :W here is my idea of a Garbage disposal for the sink in an RV. http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/20370-sink-strainer.aspx?sourcecode=DW4GGP436&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNzD6_iivLcCFWcV7Aod0nEAMg Pull the large stuff out by hand, rinse the small particles into the screen and take the screen and dump out the collected stuff INTO THE GARBAGE CAN! Small food particles etc washed down the sink drain can make your grey tank smell worse than the black tank. However, Your rig, your choice.
Good Luck, Great camping!
BBuchorn.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. My opinion of this site is much different. Almost every topic is completely wrong. To test my theory, just ask what size spring bars I should use for a trailer/vehicle combination. I will guarantee that someone will recommend 1400lb bars.

The OP should do what ever he wants.
MM49

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
This almost beats out the thread where they guy opened his TT after the winter hours before the first camping trip, found it full of mold, but went camping anyway - but admitted that the back end was rotted out from a roof leak - but never was a problem before. Oh but they brought tents to sleep in.

Talk about a gluten for punishment...
I remember that one. I thought the same thing when I read that post. Knew water leaked in the back but left it uncovered. And was surprise to find mold. What the Hey!!!!
1997 24' coleman Sun Ridge Pop-up
1998 F-150 crewcab:E

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrenchbender wrote:
Garbage grinders are a poor idea in a TT.

Thanks to garbage disposers, I get a lot of service calls. That's in stick houses. RV plumbing systems would clog much faster.

OP -- If you install one, put roto-rooter on your speed dial.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Besides the grey tank concerns, unless you have a really beefy sink in your rv, I'd be worried about that much weight dangling below the sink when traveling. Seems like it could develop cracks over time.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
This almost beats out the thread where they guy opened his TT after the winter hours before the first camping trip, found it full of mold, but went camping anyway - but admitted that the back end was rotted out from a roof leak - but never was a problem before. Oh but they brought tents to sleep in.

Talk about a gluten for punishment...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
LOL, everyone said not to do it, but yet he does:S

it is typical, same as when folks come on here and ask "will my TV tow this?". they are just fishing for that one person to come on and say, yep, it is a great idea, so when they crash or the project fails they can always say, well they said I could do it.
bumpy

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Remember. At home you have a 4 inch sewer pipe for the undigested solids. On a grey tank it is 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Might want to install a tank washer on the grey tank. I'd also recommend you install a cleanout wye on the line between the tank and the knife valve so you can back flush the grey tank clogs. Make sure to teach the wife how to flush the tank since she had to have a garbage disposal.

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Well I had to remove the lower cabinet shelving, and run romex from the fuse box to under the sink, but I think I got it connected and working. A will finish her up tomorrow morning with some gasket material from HD and some touch up work below the sink.
The wifey can now put everything from carrot butts to steak bones down our new sinkerator.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, everyone said not to do it, but yet he does:S
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
my observation repeatedly is that the advice given on this forum is rarely used .
there are some knowledgeable folks on here on individual topics and they VERY often get drowned out by the poster with too much time on his hands.
there is some very bad advice given on this forum on individual topics .
same guys , over and over .
logic does not seem to enter the equasion , in some cases .
in this particular case i agree with the " this should be good " comment .

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
daveyboy12 wrote:
I appreciate the advice, but I think I am going to try and install my 3/4 insinkerator tomorrow,, just prior to firing up the BBQ.

:B

This should be good.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
plumberdad70 wrote:
its your TT and i wont tell you "i told you so " but you will regret it!!!

those are my favorite words,
"I told you so"
bumpy

plumberdad70
Explorer
Explorer
its your TT and i wont tell you "i told you so " but you will regret it!!!
1997 Ford E-350 XLT 15 passenger
2000 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2602