cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Instant MPG

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2013 GMC 3500 diesel truck and on the dic it will give me average MPG and the owners manual states that instant mpg is available if so equipped. My question is is it a software or hardware issue and is it something I could have the GMC dealer add? I wish the mfg. would make a manual that matched the vehicle that you purchase with just what is on the vehicle in the manual....
21 REPLIES 21

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my 2005 Chevy 3500 the DIC was always off, but on our 2011 it's right on, usually within a couple tenths of a gal on fuel used and the avg mpg is also within a few tenths of hand cal.
Yes the '05 did have instant mpg, but just let up on the pedal a little and mileage would shoot up. Saw 99.9 many times so I really don't miss that feature on the '11.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2012 SLT you can reset most of the DIC readouts (including avg MPG) by holding down the check mark button.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
At some point my pea brain told me there was a way at fill up to start the average mpg over for every tank. Just like the trip odometer.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
The question remains, is it a software issue or a hardware issue?

Neither, Duramax/Allison HD trucks have not had instant MPG in the DIC from the factory for a number of years, REGARDLESS OF TRIM LEVEL... Those reporting its there must be referring to 1500 models or woke up from a dream.:)

This has been discussed quite extensively over on the Dmax forum. The only way to get instant MPG on the new Duramax trucks is with Torque Pro app (Android) or through an Edge Insight monitor or something similar that reads off the OBDII port. I have used both and can tell you instant MPG is not all its cracked up to be. I find it highly inaccurate/useless at best...

My advice would be to use average MPG on the DIC. Run a few tanks and hand calculate to compare against the DIC. Most trucks read high although some report their DIC is nearly spot on. Mine reads about 5% high on my 2012.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
The question remains, is it a software issue or a hardware issue?

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
My 04 Chevy does have the instant MPG and does not have the active fuel management. Like others have said I think it has to do with different trim levels. I believe on the 03s to 07s they had to have the steering wheel controls for the DIC. I drive a 2011 Chevy 1/2 ton for work and it doesn't have either the instant or average MPGs but will display the tranny temp. It is a base model with no active fuel management.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
scanguage will give you what you want.
chevman

X2

Just another of the many reasons you should have one. :C

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I use this and use the Torque app to see instant mpg on my smartphone or tablet. My ecm has this information but my dic doesn't support it. Works great and there are other things you can load to watch also such as boost,fuel flow,coolant temp and more

I just checked their web site and this will not work with an iPhone.....Boo.....

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
my 08 chevy 1500 had instant, didn't have to do anything special just go to the section on the DIC, but my 09 duramax does not have it. I think it has to do with active fuel management system like someone else said above.

brownmht
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an OBD II scanner off E-bay. It connects to my phone via bluetooth. The phone is running "Torque" software and gives me all kinds of data like instant MPG. Pretty handy for $20 or so.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado did. 2013 doesn't. Depends on options and trim level.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 01 Ram has instant mileage
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My '09 2500 doesn't have instant, just average.
I test drove a '13 LTZ 3500 D/A and I am almost positive that I remember it had instant. I figured that was an upgrade from the older models.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
scanguage will give you what you want.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC