cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance Question on a TT

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
My son just bought a new 22' Keystone Hideout TT but he plans on borrowing my Ford F250 truck to pull it (with my blessing) for a year or so until he finds a vehicle that he and his wife will use to pull it with.

He called his insurance company and will have insurance for the TT but his insurance company told him that the towing vehicle (my truck in this case) would cover the TT while being towed.

If I understand this correctly, when I am pulling a trailer behind my truck only my liability carries over to the trailer. It is possible that since I do not own the TT, my liability may not transfer so therefore my son might want to get a separate liability policy on himself.

BTW, my son is a listed driver for my vehicles as well.

I will be calling my insurance company as well to ask but was wondering if anybody has dealt with this type of situation and were there any issues?

Thanks!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose
11 REPLIES 11

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal. Just as I thought. Glad you have the answers.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the answers! No wonder I love this forum! Never too old to learn!

I did talk to my insurance agent and while my son is driving it is a temporary substitute and my liability would go with my truck and his trailer. He still needs to get coverage for the actual trailer for damage, etc.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
This link might answer your question.
Individual state laws regulate Ins.
People that live in another state , telling what the law is their state will be very little help to you.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/auto-and-vehicles/ever-lend-your-car-to-a-friend-read-this...

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am fairly certain it would work this way, at least here in PA.

I have full coverage on both the trailer and truck with Progressive.

1-Get in a wreck while towing - The truck insurance covers it.
2-Trailer gets slammed by a tree while at the campground, the trailer insurance covers it.
3-Trailer gets slammed by a tree while in my backyard, it goes to my homeowners insurance.
4-Trailer catches fire from the shoddy wiring and burns down to the frame while in my yard, its on the trailer insurance.
5-The insurance company, whomever it is, is going to attempt to put the screws to you no matter what happened, where it happened, how it happened, etc. They are going to use every play they have in the playbook.

I am also 100% certain about this. Do not get your insurance advice on an internet forum.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good thoughts above, but your best assurance is to confirm with YOUR insurance company. Have them show you IN THE POLICY, written, so there is no future question if, heaven forbid, an accident should occur.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Unless yor son is added to your policy, it seems like the coverage is rather muddied.
An ins. co. will use any loophole or excuse to get out of covering a large claim.

Insurance is a highly regulated industry.

Insurance typically follows the vehicle. As your son is a listed driver on your policy, a permissive driver, as another poster just mentiined, the liability coverage on your truck typically cover the trailer as well while it's connected to your truck. But as the trailer is non-owned, I'd double check with your insurance agent and have them send you an email so its documented in writing.

As you said, your son would need to buy his own PD coverage for the trailer. Good luck.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unless yor son is added to your policy, it seems like the coverage is rather muddied.
An ins. co. will use any loophole or excuse to get out of covering a large claim.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Only liability coverage extends to the trailer and only when towing.

Same in Michigan. Insurance can vary greatly from state to state, and OP is in Illinois, I would call the agent to be sure.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Only liability coverage extends to the trailer and only when towing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read your insurance policy. Have your insurance agent tell you about your coverage. Then read those pertinent sections. Be sure. Don't guess or ask others...who are guessing. Wife driving too? Ask! Then confirm by....reading your policy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
IANAL but if he's a listed driver on your policy I would just add the trailer to your policy. That way the truck, trailer, and driver are all listed on one policy. Adding my trailer with full coverage and a gap policy was pretty inexpensive.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH