cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet Buying Service

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
At one time these were popular-services that located a vehicle to your specs for the lowest price regardless of location.
My local credit union didn't know anything about them.
Are they still around?
Anyone used one lately they can recommend?
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
20 REPLIES 20

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
At one time these were popular-services that located a vehicle to your specs for the lowest price regardless of location.
My local credit union didn't know anything about them.
Are they still around?
Anyone used one lately they can recommend?
Thanks,Mike

try autotrader.com
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 2013 truck thru Costco after I got quotes using my credit union's service, a buyer's broker, as well as sending email to all the local dealership's 'internet' sales managers. The quote I got using Costco's program easily beat everybody else.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that Costco, Sam's, credit union buying services make the process pretty hassle free, will get you a car with all the options you want or don't want if it's on a lot within a few state radius at a competitive price with not much work on your part.

It won't be the best price that could be achieved with person to person haggling but it will be close.

So, which do you want? If you want or like to haggle and put up with sales guys for hours to get the best price then bargain on your own.

If you don't like doing that stuff, which is me, then the buying services work well. We used our credit union for the Denali. I gave them and the costco contact the list of options I wanted, and knew there was one vehicle with all those options available within a 2 state radius. Kicker was the color, metallic blue, extra cost option. The credit union came back within hours with the price and when I could pick it up. The sales guy from the Costco contact took longer and had a higher price.

Now for the interesting things. Costco and the credit union used the SAME EXACT dealer!! credit union through the fleet office, Costco via a floor sales guy.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
JALLEN4 wrote:
Just for clarification, manufacturers don't "own" vehicles on dealer's lots. Dealers pay for vehicles before they are shipped and they receive the MSO which establishes ownership. It would be up to the dealer whether or not he "dealer trades" the vehicle.

John
Please don't let facts get in the way of a good story! It is almost 2017, and what is important is good stories, not factual detail!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Just for clarification, manufacturers don't "own" vehicles on dealer's lots. Dealers pay for vehicles before they are shipped and they receive the MSO which establishes ownership. It would be up to the dealer whether or not he "dealer trades" the vehicle.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what, you'll still have to deal with the guy handling the sale, who will be pushing extended warranty and such.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
you can get a better deal through a dealer than truecar, costco or any buying service, they are quoting supplier price which is not invoice. secondly, if you locate a vehicle you want it's up to both dealers to negotiate what it will take to get the truck to your dealer for purchase; it's not a guarantee a truck in Ohio will make it to PA for sale.

If the dealer owns the vehicle on his lot this is true. But if the factory still owns the vehicle any dealer can pull it off his lot. That is unless the dealer has it under a sales contract.

The trick is when you find the vehicle you like in an online search take the VIN number to a dealer you're thinking about dealing with. They can pull it up on their computer and tell you if it's still factory owned and if so they can pull it off the lot.

Great information. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Cameo Phil wrote:
Popeyemth;
I sent you a PM about a friends and family discount for GM.

It appears that Cameo has sent you a PM and may be able to help. If not, send me a PM, and I can help.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
Popeyemth;
I sent you a PM about a friends and family discount for GM.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmcsmoke wrote:
you can get a better deal through a dealer than truecar, costco or any buying service, they are quoting supplier price which is not invoice. secondly, if you locate a vehicle you want it's up to both dealers to negotiate what it will take to get the truck to your dealer for purchase; it's not a guarantee a truck in Ohio will make it to PA for sale.

If the dealer owns the vehicle on his lot this is true. But if the factory still owns the vehicle any dealer can pull it off his lot. That is unless the dealer has it under a sales contract.

The trick is when you find the vehicle you like in an online search take the VIN number to a dealer you're thinking about dealing with. They can pull it up on their computer and tell you if it's still factory owned and if so they can pull it off the lot.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
CKNSLS wrote:
Link
ljr wrote:
I've been thinking of using Auto Authority for my next purchase. All I know is what I've read in some very positive articles. I'm violently allergic to salesmen so I may give them a try.

Just read an article stating that CostCo is now the number seller of automobiles (or one should say facilitator) through their auto buying program. Perhaps buying a membership for the $55.00 would be a small investment to contain your "allergy".

I've purchased 3 vehicles through Sam's Club. The third time I learned that how well it works depends very much on whether the participating dealer wants it to work. I don't have a nearby Costco but I'd bet it's the same.

The thing that most appeals to me about Auto Authority is that I have no contact at all with the dealer.
Larry

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Link
ljr wrote:
I've been thinking of using Auto Authority for my next purchase. All I know is what I've read in some very positive articles. I'm violently allergic to salesmen so I may give them a try.

Just read an article stating that CostCo is now the number seller of automobiles (or one should say facilitator) through their auto buying program. Perhaps buying a membership for the $55.00 would be a small investment to contain your "allergy".

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
When I got my current Ram in September/October I used the Ram web site to locate my truck based on the options I wanted. I drove over 500 miles from Fort Worth Texas to north of Springfield MO. to get it. I left my house at 2 in the morning and was out of the dealership by 11 am. Yes, that was the closest location of the truck I wanted with the options I wanted. And yes I did try to get a local dealsership to get the truck sent to me first. Long story short my local dealership after giving me the run around, told me the truck was sold so I called Missouri my self. When I got to Missouri and talked with that sales guy he said the Texas dealership was being an A hole a they refused to sell them the truck.

Over all best truck buying experience ever. Negotiated price for his truck and my trade in over the phone sight unseen and I got a better deal with him than the local guys. Props to Don Vance and jeers to Moritz

Sorry, long story short, use the GM web site to pick all the options you want and press search.

I did the same thing with my truck except my local dealer was dragging his feet and when I decide I want something I won't wait on anyone dragging their feet.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.