cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction post

IndianaTC_dream
Explorer
Explorer
I might be slow on the uptake but I didn't see a welcome post so here goes. I'm scanning all the info and experience I can from everyone else because I have the weird dream of retiring early and traveling around in a TC with the DW and myself. We have already have a 2017 F350 DRW and want to upgrade the suspension before we purchase a TC.
28 REPLIES 28

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! Other then tie downs I would not make any changes to your truck. I would suggest if you have no experience with truck campers that you go out and find a cheap but decent used one to use for a while. The experience you get from that will help you decide what you may want in a new one.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
Welcome, we do have a lot of people here who just want to insult, put down and generally disparage anything someone posts. Just block those jerks and jump in.

I like this forum's ability to block people.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome.

Your plan is not at all weird. A year prior to retirement, we bought a used camper and then a truck to carry it home from the dealer. It sat in the driveway unused for close to a year. I did some tinkering but we literally did not use it even once. After we downsized and sold the house, I put in my retirement notice. Two months later, the house closed and we took off as full timers.

We kept up the travel for a couple of years until the lure of new grandkids was too much for my wife. We rented for a while and eventually bought another house. I still miss the full timing and often travel for several months. Next trip is planned for March probably until the end of June or maybe mid July.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't quit my job, sell my house and belonging and take to the road without a backup plan until I was sure my spouse and I could live in less than 50 square feet. (Actually, I already know and that answer is not just "no", but H.E. double hockey sticks "NO" is bold print with lots of exclamation points)

Bedlam
Maybe a start would be what size and type of camper do you want on the back the truck. Some forum members have popup on a DRW and others have a triple slide hard side.

What you will need are tie down points to the truck and a rubber bed mat. Beyond that we cannot really give you advice until we know how little or big you plan to go and whether you will be towing something behind it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome. You have made a good choice for retirement. At least give it a try. I've owned several RV types, but the TC seemed to be the best for traveling and sightseeing after I retired.

And as mentioned, there are a few a$$holes on here. You will soon know who they are; just ignore them.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome, we do have a lot of people here who just want to insult, put down and generally disparage anything someone posts. Just block those jerks and jump in.

Best regards,
Scott

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome aboard!
Do you know what camper you want?
A F350 dually should handle most campers. Maybe wait until you get the camper on it to decide which, if any, mods you want.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
IndianaTC_dreamer wrote:
I might be slow on the uptake but I didn't see a welcome post so here goes. I'm scanning all the info and experience I can from everyone else because I have the weird dream of retiring early and traveling around in a TC with the DW and myself.. We have already have a 2017 F350 DRW and want to upgrade the suspension before we purchase a TC.
Not at all weird, when I was younger, (much younger), I wanted to retire at 35, but that went by without notice as I learned that I obviously knew nothing about economics and their relationship to retirement. 😞
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think many here are old.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
sometimes us Old Guys are crabby.:)

That's putting it mildly. 😉

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome! Be sure. Some of my friends retired early and are not happy they did so.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome, This is a very good forum but remember you have to have thick skin to visit, sometimes us Old Guys are crabby.:)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"