cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to our new trailer project

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
After months of searching for a new project we found one right up our alley. And our alley is free. We ended up with a 1993 Jayco Eagle 10 pop-up. There's not much besides the frame, axle and wheels we'll be re-using, but it came with a title and I plan to re-purpose some of the trailer for different projects.

We don't have our plans set at this point, but our goal is to build a small "date night" RV for mom and dad outings. Thinking large tear drop at this point.

Here's a quick intro video for this project with a walk around of our new dream RV.

https://youtu.be/Ft6YpITQ2ek

Stay tuned for updates over the next few weeks as we tear into the trailer and decide on the direction we're going with it. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or comments let me know since we're still planning.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
10 REPLIES 10

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Great Video! I will say my mouth dropped open when you slammed the backed end!

But... how about this idea?

Gut the camper out. Box in the bottom. Put doors and drawers on the bottom for outside access. Create an outside sliding kitchen. Put a flat top on it for a roof. Then you can pitch a tent on top or get one of those pop-up type tents people install on the tops of their cars and trucks. Sleeping bags, and presto!

The end result would be (something) like this: Click here.

I'd LOVE to go that route, but my wife won't go for anything with soft sides. I'm pretty sure she thinks a bears going to get her, but then again she's OK with sleeping beside me. I don't get it:)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:

Yeah, an aluminum teardrop shell wouldn't be that difficult to construct and you'd end up with a larger teardrop than the typical layout. Kind of a "Honeymoon Suite", lol.

That's what I'm thinking. We'll be using it for the few trips we take sans kids and I'm still not sure we'll use it enough to be worth it. That's the reason I'm going to keep it low budget. I plan to include the minimum amenities my wife will allow for and leave space to add on later.

I literally have my ideas sketched out on a napkin at this point. Considering everything else I do this puts me at the final stages of planning;)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Great Video! I will say my mouth dropped open when you slammed the backed end!

But... how about this idea?

Gut the camper out. Box in the bottom. Put doors and drawers on the bottom for outside access. Create an outside sliding kitchen. Put a flat top on it for a roof. Then you can pitch a tent on top or get one of those pop-up type tents people install on the tops of their cars and trucks. Sleeping bags, and presto!

The end result would be (something) like this: Click here.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
westend wrote:
I have two tent campers, here. One was converted into a stake side utility trailer and the other is destined for that too.

I could put a conestoga type canvas top on them for camping but the TT is where I'd rather be. If I was rehabbing one for a long term camping project, I'd build it out with a metal roof, much like a cargo trailer.

That's what I was thinking when I picked it up. For free, the worst case was it became a utility trailer.

I'm planning either all aluminum or fiberglass for the shell. The shape and size are still up in the air, but it'll be small. I'm a close sleeper so this should be great for me;)

The popups make great utility trailers because they have fairly good suspension, a good frame for the deck, and are outfitted with a decent wheel size. I can't tell you how many tons I've hauled in mine.

Yeah, an aluminum teardrop shell wouldn't be that difficult to construct and you'd end up with a larger teardrop than the typical layout. Kind of a "Honeymoon Suite", lol.

Good luck with it, I'll be following along if you post the fabrication videos.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun with it!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
I have two tent campers, here. One was converted into a stake side utility trailer and the other is destined for that too.

I could put a conestoga type canvas top on them for camping but the TT is where I'd rather be. If I was rehabbing one for a long term camping project, I'd build it out with a metal roof, much like a cargo trailer.

That's what I was thinking when I picked it up. For free, the worst case was it became a utility trailer.

I'm planning either all aluminum or fiberglass for the shell. The shape and size are still up in the air, but it'll be small. I'm a close sleeper so this should be great for me;)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
doned it, leaving it in the park. Not sure how he got away with that.

All of that to say - you may have gotten your hands on that exact popup!

Nice going!

-Speak

Ha, there's a good chance.

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Really? I'll be watching. Good luck, can't wait.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Off to a great start, eh?

Last July I was camped at a park in Virginia, and on a Sunday morning I was watching as a nearby neighbor was attempting to pack up his popup. He was having some trouble getting the roof to go down. I have some popup knowledge and a few tools, so I wandered over to see if I could be of some help. This fellow was getting nowhere, and he was growing increasingly frustrated. He didn't really want any help. He ended up CUTTING cables just to try to get the roof down. He abandoned it, leaving it in the park. Not sure how he got away with that.

All of that to say - you may have gotten your hands on that exact popup!

Nice going!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB