cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is less ever more?

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Some musing on new developments in Truck Campers.

My first Truck Camper near Colima, Mexico. 14mpg on diesel.

That Volcano behind my rig looked like this today!

OK back on topic.

This is my new truck and topper. 24+mpg on regular gas.

Mixed feelings on the new rig, love the truck and it's great gas milage.

Not at all happy with my SnugTop!
The topper is back in California on it's second trip to SnugTop for warrantee problems.
Every window leaks.
Maybe a California built topper isn't suited for North West rain.

Just after I bought the topper news of new smaller Truck Campers caught my interest.
My truck can only carry a 930 pound camper according to its camper loading paper.
Yet at least two camper manufactures have models to fit my truck.

Travel Lites new Rayzr SS at about 890 lbs.

Capri Campers Cowboy model.
At only 400-500 lbs.

Both have caught my interest. But like every other RV I like some things and dislike other things about them.

So the crazy part. Having built a stitch and glue boat I'm thinking about building a Plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass stitch and glue small Truck Camper.

The boat took all my spare time for two years. Sweet wife is trying to stop me as it would take up the entire garage. She doesn't want to give it up that long again.

Photo of my 1996 stitch and glue boat connected to my then new 2003 truck and last topper. Best ever with the topper was 19 mpg on diesel.

I only need a place to sleep and a portapoty.

Thumbs up or down what say you?
What are the chances they will actually get my SnugTop to stay dry?
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper
30 REPLIES 30

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
SkiMore wrote:
OP: some of the Four Wheel popup campers are less than 930 pounds
http://www.fourwh.com/

Note: this thread is almost 6 months old.

Obviously still read and of interest to some people.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
SkiMore wrote:

Note: this thread is almost 6 months old.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
Robert, what brand/model of hybrid caravan is shown in the pic?

A Track Trailer Tvan they are Spinoff from military trailers.
Website " Clicky" for Track Trailer

Here is a Military AntiMine proof vehicle, suspension designed by some people at Track Trailer, towing a Track Trailer Military Trailer. Vehicle won a contest against European and American Producers for an armoured reconnaissance vehicle.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Robert, what brand/model of hybrid caravan is shown in the pic?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Less Stuff wrote:
languiduck wrote:
But I thought the new truck bed cap (that's what it really is) was so awesome and the best thing for you. Are you changing your mind?

Love the truck!!!
On edit: The wife likes riding in my truck better than in her Malibu!
Dislike the SnugTop due to water leaks.
Changing my mind or musing not sure, But I'm even looking at small single axle travel trailers at this point.

The Casita and Scamp trailers are an easy pull with little maintenance required to keep them sealed.

Here Scamp/Casita are replaced by Off Road Hybrid Caravans, very similar in size.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Cowboy Capri would be my choice.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
It is easy to spend more money to save on fuel, and spend more that the fuel would cost. For me, I enjoy the bragging rights of good fuel mileage, but I will not have a truck and/or TC that I have to save money to buy fuel. I think it is all part of living within your means. I would encourage you to purchase what you are comfortable with and can afford. If you enjoy chasing MPG, and can afford it, then go for it.

Wayne

Not all about saving fuel.

Last truck was a money pit and hard riding.
After 11 years it's welcome worn out.

Tried a small Jeep Patriot liked the gas milage but it's small size wore on me with use.
Traded it in for the RAM and SO FAR we are very pleased. Wife included!
A 3000 mile trip that we both liked the truck better than the wife's Malibu. 26.3mpg, but the Malibu gets over 30mpg.

Paid $29,000 for the duramax in 2002. Paid $15,000 for the Lance in 2003.
Sold the Lance and traded the duramax after over 10 years and 180,000 miles.
Duramax plus money from camper bought the new Jeep Patriot no pocket money.

Then this year traded the 1.5 year old Jeep for the RAM and had to come up with less than $11,000.
So 13 years use and three vehicles at not much cost in my view.

OK $55,000 is a lot. Well looking at new trucks these days maybe not a lot.

I know buying used would be even less, but having a new vehicle warrantee is a form of comfort for me.
DG
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Leer 180 Topper

Bedlam
Less Stuff wrote:
languiduck wrote:
But I thought the new truck bed cap (that's what it really is) was so awesome and the best thing for you. Are you changing your mind?

Love the truck!!!
On edit: The wife likes riding in my truck better than in her Malibu!
Dislike the SnugTop due to water leaks.
Changing my mind or musing not sure, But I'm even looking at small single axle travel trailers at this point.

The Casita and Scamp trailers are an easy pull with little maintenance required to keep them sealed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
I'd rather be in a tent than a truck bed with a topper.

I've done it, when I was 19. Then went to tents, a cargo trailer, fiver, TT, TC's, toyhauler now back in a TC. It fits and works for our needs...but I'll take the 12 mpg hauling my junk over double the mileage and living in a truck bed.

Go with a small light weight TC if you don't upgrade trucks, but remember you'll have a ton of upgrades if you do.

Vinsil, while I have to agree, depends on how you travel and where you camp.

On out trips to Southern CA (Hammers), we usually end up in a rest stop, truck stop, or random pulloff in around Shasta. Then we are camping in the desert. WIth the wind that can happen, tents won't stick around. I camped in the back of the truck for a couple years. not as warm, but with the Buddy Heater, it was tolerable. ๐Ÿ™‚

I can see your point there in the desert. My last time in the back of a truck was over in Lakeview on a hunting trip...it was better than a tent as it was blowing like a SOB.....and the last time I hunted there too. lol
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish I had the experience to buikd with wood and plastic. I do metal fabwork as a hobby, but am just now learning how to renovate a house. So I think in the future I'l be building a hunting-trip only camper in addition to my family camper.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
I'd rather be in a tent than a truck bed with a topper.

I've done it, when I was 19. Then went to tents, a cargo trailer, fiver, TT, TC's, toyhauler now back in a TC. It fits and works for our needs...but I'll take the 12 mpg hauling my junk over double the mileage and living in a truck bed.

Go with a small light weight TC if you don't upgrade trucks, but remember you'll have a ton of upgrades if you do.

Vinsil, while I have to agree, depends on how you travel and where you camp.

On out trips to Southern CA (Hammers), we usually end up in a rest stop, truck stop, or random pulloff in around Shasta. Then we are camping in the desert. WIth the wind that can happen, tents won't stick around. I camped in the back of the truck for a couple years. not as warm, but with the Buddy Heater, it was tolerable. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Less Stuff wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
Your post reminds me of the decision I had to make regarding the time, money, and space needs of building a kit airplane or spending the time and money flying what I had. I couldn't effort doing both.

I chose flying.

My 2 cents worth of opinion is to buy the TC you want and spend time using it.

But building my boat was every bit as much fun as using it!

I understand that, believe me. A number of pilot-friends said that building an airplane and then flying it was a huge bunch of fun. I just had to choose one or the other in my case.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
Your post reminds me of the decision I had to make regarding the time, money, and space needs of building a kit airplane or spending the time and money flying what I had. I couldn't effort doing both.

I chose flying.

My 2 cents worth of opinion is to buy the TC you want and spend time using it.

But building my boat was every bit as much fun as using it!
DG
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Leer 180 Topper