cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a QUALITY Travel Trailer still built?

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
I have new Keystone Cougar TT and I am sick of it.
There is nothing about it that doesn't scream "I am going to break or fall apart in a few more miles"

I previously had an R-Vision which was built 300% better than this,
and previous to that a Fleetwood Tent Trailer - also built really really well.

Sadly, even though made in my home state, this thing just stinks.
Everything is flimsy, half completed junk work done by some guy who didn't care late on Friday afternoon, and components chosen to save pennies.

Is there anything in the functional world of travel trailers (e.g. not Airstream) that isn't complete JUNK ?

I am ready to trade.
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.
108 REPLIES 108

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2016 OPEN RANGE 323RLS... They are very well built..... I have had only an AC issue that was Dometic fault..not OR.... We love our trailer....VERY WELL BUILT... it felt different from the first moment we stepped in it... good luck...

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:
B-n-B wrote:
Unfortunately, I've read this rant from owners of just about every make and model.

I do not mean to make it sound like a rant. But it if it walks like a duck...

I truly am just wanting to find SOMETHING that is built somewhat close to decent, or even that comes semi-close to models of 5-10 years ago.

I understand price. I get that we can't go to Home Depot and get the cheapest part for $0.15 and get knowledgeable people to work for $12 an hour.

I am willing to pay - the Airstream thing while apparently built well, is... not functional.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, "not functional" for over eleven years and still going strong.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
You want rugged quality in a 4 season trailer? Drive down to Tualatin on Tualatin-Sherwood Road and look at the new BigFoot 25 ft. rear queen on display. Night and day differences in build quality but expensive.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look at Artic Fox. I don't know your budget but New Horizon builds custom units as well as Spacecraft mfg. Another outfit that builds nice stuff is Continental, Forks RV builds custom as well.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Florida RV Show in Tampa and was impressed with the Lance line of travel trailers. Only feature I didn't like was the round sink - nice size but you can't put a drainboard next to it with a dish drainer. Maybe they sell a custom one.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

gypsmjim
Explorer
Explorer
Quality and price are functions of supply and demand. If we all stop buying the product, and the manufacturer's understand its because of poor quality, they will improve.

Companies only care about the bottom line. I used to work for a company that had plants nationwide. Product quality was night and day from opne part of the country to another. They cheapened it up until they had complaints and lost sales. Then they improved to just the minimum required.

So, can we all agree to stop buying RVs?
2015 Jayco Flight SLX 195RB
Permanently set up on a beautiful mountaintop retreat in Southwest NYS

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
They are what they are, unless you double the budget from consumer type trailers. I'm pleased with ours. It is definitely many steps up from our first trailer. But I keep realistic expectations. And, well, spending over $50k on a TT is not something I would do.

Kept under a carport, I'm confident this trailer will last 15 years...at which point, it was worth its price in entertainment value.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
We own an Outdoors RV. Definitely worth a look @ they build them more for sale in Canada than the US in my estimation. Now they even make a 5th wheel.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
You know what is amazing? There are hundreds and hundreds of entries on this site on the POSITIVES of KEYSTONE BULLETS! enter Keystone bullet and Bullet Premier and you will see pages of great comments about how owners love them and they hold up! I have a 2014 Bullet 285RLS and we LOVE it! There hasn't been a single problem with any component! And we feel like everyone else that I have read about on this site that has a Bullet!
How can Keystone make a brand that is so good and then so bad like you have experienced?? Can't figure it out. And Bullets are in the mid price range..not high.. Ours was only 20K brand new even though bought in Nov at year end..that helped price discount.. MSRP was 33,000... Read the reviews on the Bullet threads... impressive!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're in Oregon anyway, look at the Northwood Nash and Arctic Fox units since they're made in Oregon. You can probably get a factory tour. Look at their video on their website also. I'm buying a used Nash 26X now.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oliver Trailers are very well built. But they are pricey--about $42K or more.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Mikesr wrote:
Warranty, customer service and dealer service are the keys to a happy experience when buying a travel trailer. The manufacturer assembly and the components used can vary dramatically from one to another. When you pick a floor plan and size TT you like check all manufacturers and you'll find the layouts very similar. To me quality in cabinets, flooring and furniture can tell you a lot about the durability of the unit. And utmost the old adage of you get what you pay for holds true with travel trailers. RV shows are a great way to compare quality.

Totally understood.
However, when you look at something new, it can "appear" well built with regard to certain materials but the workmanship be junk.

Take for instance the actual wood cabinet doors in my trailer. three of them have had joints fail. why ? no glue. someone skimped.

I build cabinets - I can fix them. but I am tired of fixing $30k of new.

So - you look at that and think hey, solid wood cabinet doors ! wow !

Tired of driving it in and dropping it off - great customer service from my dealer yes... still a huge pain when you are paying primo new $$$ per month.

" the old adage of you get what you pay for holds true with travel trailers" - really? I don't know. I guess that's why I was asking whos isn't junk. there is so much competition between manufacturers that prices are not that far apart. so I don't know that get what you pay for holds true - at least within a 15% price difference. (again not Airstream prices)
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind a smaller trailer, and a longish wait time to get one built... http://escapetrailer.com/
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Warranty, customer service and dealer service are the keys to a happy experience when buying a travel trailer. The manufacturer assembly and the components used can vary dramatically from one to another. When you pick a floor plan and size TT you like check all manufacturers and you'll find the layouts very similar. To me quality in cabinets, flooring and furniture can tell you a lot about the durability of the unit. And utmost the old adage of you get what you pay for holds true with travel trailers. RV shows are a great way to compare quality.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quack! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I meant it more as you echoing the frustration so many on here have done over the years on their purchase. You have every right to be dissatisfied and pi$$ed at a (new) product you obviously are completely fed up with.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975