cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there something wrong here?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip when I was opening the slide I noticed and heard the slide shake, make loud noise as if was to fall apart. And just now I try to open it, again and the same issue. Please advice if all it needs is grease, oil or service?

Thank you all for your help... :h
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
13 REPLIES 13

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
kennyd63 wrote:
On my last trip when I was opening the slide I noticed and heard the slide shake, make loud noise as if was to fall apart. And just now I try to open it, again and the same issue. Please advice if all it needs is grease, oil or service?

Are you sure it isn't just the rubber seals making noise against the slide? They can be noisy, and if they are bigger seals they can move the slide slightly when they flip out.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cougar28 wrote:
First thing make sure something hasn't got caught under the slide. I heard that sometimes thing fall during travel and slide or get kicked under the slide with it in and cause problems.If you don't find anything there get underneath the camper and have someone put out the slide and watch the mechanism and see if you can tell where the problem is.Wouldn't be a bad time lube while you there if that hasn't been done in a while.

X2 to this.

I check all around slides before extending, stuff falls and get caught under neath,
I really do enjoy the extra 50 sq. ft of living space, and the 11' wide living and dining room space.

You want to use Dry Lube on the slide hardware.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:

I assume you're talking about the slide on your 24RLS? It looks like a rack & pinion style. Simple lubrication may be all that's needed but first take a look around and underneath, inside and out, for any obstructions, open cabinet doors, debris, etc. Use a dry lubricant such as: Dry lubricant

Furthermore, LCI has a very nice smartphone app called "MyLci" with troubleshooting guides. You can also visit their website at: LCI Slideouts

Good luck and please be sure to let us know what you find out, it will help us all.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
hydraulic, rack and pinion or something else.

I use the dry graphite spray on my rack and pinion.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer

You entitled the thread "Is there something wrong here"?

I'm not sorry but it's polite to make it sound like I am but if your car started screeching from the front right side or your washing machine started spraying water all over the laundry room would you surmise that there was, actually, something out of the ordinary occurring or would you rush to the nearest internet forum to try to decide if this was, in fact, normal behavior?

There's a fairly simple and logical process though which you can step.

1. Has it always acted in this fashion. If yes, it's OK though you might have been screwed by your salesman.

2. Does it sound better than it did before? If yes then you're kosher. If no, there might be something wrong.

3. Does it make you smile? If yes, don't worry. If no get it looked at by someone with more credentials than a forum full of numpties, who while knowing it's messed up will merely speculate as to it's cause and waste your time.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
well I won,t own a slide,no need, but I think there suppose to go in out easy, lube and adjustments are needed. if you can,t do the work? call a local rv tech ,not the dealer, tech will come to you ,

X2!

Needs fixed, should slide in/out easily without making odd noises..

I purposely avoid slides for this reason.

You WILL need to either diagnose and fix it yourself or find a dealer to work on it..

Now, where are all of those folks on this forum who claim slides never break?

Perhaps they would be willing to come to you and fix it for free..

I'm another who don't care for slides. It's something to sweep off if you have one to keep from sliding in with leaves Pine Straw and small limbs.
In my case, it's my wife and I camping. When we camp, we spend very little time in our camper. My current RV is a 18 foot 1975 Fleetwood Prowler that I have rebuilt.
I have a soft spot for Vintage RVs.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The brand of slide mechanism will help us diagnose your problem.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a rack style slide, this is some good stuff to use. Go to YouTube and there are videos on how to Lube it.
https://www.campingworld.com/protect-all-slide-out-dry-lube-protectant-17390.html
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the exact reason I own a slide. All the room when it goes out!! Sounds like a bit of lube is in order. Very easy to do!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
First thing make sure something hasn't got caught under the slide. I heard that sometimes thing fall during travel and slide or get kicked under the slide with it in and cause problems.If you don't find anything there get underneath the camper and have someone put out the slide and watch the mechanism and see if you can tell where the problem is.Wouldn't be a bad time lube while you there if that hasn't been done in a while.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a grease job is in order.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
well I won,t own a slide,no need, but I think there suppose to go in out easy, lube and adjustments are needed. if you can,t do the work? call a local rv tech ,not the dealer, tech will come to you ,

X2!

Needs fixed, should slide in/out easily without making odd noises..

I purposely avoid slides for this reason.

You WILL need to either diagnose and fix it yourself or find a dealer to work on it..

Now, where are all of those folks on this forum who claim slides never break?

Perhaps they would be willing to come to you and fix it for free..

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II