cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ISO Automated/Electric Trailer Hitch Coupler

M209T
Explorer
Explorer
Still relatively new to our travel trailer and would like to resolve our biggest issue.
It takes us a while to connect our truck hitch to the trailer.
Sure we need more practice but until I retire unlikely to get a whole lot more.
Inevitably this process turns into an angry shouting match.
What is available to greatly simplify this process?
Ideally I would like to be able to hook the truck up to the
Trailer myself in just a few minutes minus my husbands yelling.
Thinking some type of remote controlled gadget that will bring the
Trailer to the hitch would be ideal. Any suggestions?
27 REPLIES 27

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
I do it by myself too. I just get out once or twice. One thing I do that helps is I use the lever that opens the front window cover as a center guide then my tailgate has a screw the is dead center so I use them to help me get as close to center as possible without getting out. Works pretty well for me.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A back up camera is nice.

After that I recommend that only one of you back up to the trailer. The other person should go for a walk. The person backing up will have to bet in and out of the pickup a couple of times but, that sounds like less work and aggravation then the shouting match.

It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect you know. If I get within a half of a inch my TT will move enough to drop down on the ball

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
With my old trailer, I could open the gate on my SUV and look back and watch the ball line up with the trailer. The new trailer doesn't allow the gate to open, so I just line it up as best I can and then pop out of the truck a couple times to make sure I'm on point.

A camera is definitely your easiest option, unless you care to work out communication with your helper, so you have a system that works for both of you. A few times of my GF watching and nodding her head until I hear her yelling "STOP!!!!" and I had to explain that I needed either a visual (with hands) or verbal communication of actual distance to the ball cause just randomly yelling stop wasn't going to work out for either of us.

If you feel like spending the money, there is a gadget you can get that moves your trailer for you while it's not hitched up. All remotely controlled, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxsW-c-k6c
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Probably the closest to what you are asking for is a remote control trailer mover. it's not going to be inexpensive, but it will help you hook up.
Link

Video
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rewindgy
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a device that basically is a metal vee that fits on truck hitch, you just back up and the vee guides the tongue to center. We used it on our 19 ft trailer, not sure how it would work on bigger trailer? Got a Ram with backup camera so all is now good!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Before I got the new TV with the backup camera I could line the tailgate latch bolts up with my level and it got me usually there some times I had to pull a little deeper but usually only took me one ot two walk backs from the truck.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased this mirror...

CIPA FastHitch mirror

not long after we got our trailer. It worked really well and I like using it. However, the glass fell out in my hand and I stuck it back in because I was in a hurry. The device was cheaply made. I told myself then that I should run a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the glass to hold it in. Well, I didn't do it and not to long after the glass fell out and shattered on the ground.

Guess what? The mirror is no longer made. I can't find anything else similar to it.

I just have to get out 3 or 4 times to get the ball properly aligned now.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make backing easier - camera
To stop the yelling - duct tape
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

gchackett
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I open the door and get out and look... usually takes two times but then I've been doing it for decades long before cameras. OK, I do have a dented license plate.

X2 minus the decades and dented license plate.
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1L
2000 Shasta Pheonix 268 Bunk House

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
M209T wrote:
Ideally I would like to be able to hook the truck up to the Trailer myself in just a few minutes minus my husbands yelling.

Tell your husbands that you are only going to take directions from one of them.
Trying to listen to multiple people giving directions is a recipe for disaster.
Bob

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
This:.....works great and no yelling.....>>>LINK<<<

Same camera here and love it. Not only is it good for hitching up but also helps with everyday backing in tight parking lots.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
Some great ideas! I set up an old Iphone to be used as a Wi-Fi camera that sits on my bumper or in a bracket on the tailgate. It takes a few minutes to set up, so in reality I can hookup without it quicker using the "get out of the truck 2-4 times" method. I DO NOT ask for DW's help when hitching to avoid problems. Slightly off topic, but when backing into a spot, I also only have the spotter prevent me from hitting anything.... no other direction.
I do like the sticks in previous posts, which I may try. The wireless magnetic camera krobbe uses is exactly what I looked for a few years ago but couldn't find. If that device would also reliably transmit from the rear of the trailer to cab (52') I could stomach the price! I could probably pitch it as a marriage saving device for Christmas... Ummm.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I use this wireless backup camera by Rearview Safety.
I bought it after several screaming matches. I've tried using FRS radios, the yellow balls on a magnetic stick, and simply jumping out to look several times. This camera is quick, easy and reliable.
Just turn the camera on and stick it to the back of the truck. Plug the monitor in to the cig lighter in the truck, turn it on and it works well even in the dark. I highly recommend this for a happy marriage.;)
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics