cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It almost happened

A little back story -

I own and routinely drive 2 vehicles.. a 2016 5.0 F-150.. and a 2015 6.7 F-350 Diesel...

Going to visit one of our other offices the other day , traffic was really bothering me.. I pulled into the rest stop , got a cup of coffee and rolled to the fuel pumps...

As I opened the fuel door , with the green nozzle in my hand , I WOKE UP and remembered I was in my F-150

THAT WAS CLOSE ! Too close for comfort to be truthful
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
32 REPLIES 32

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Muddydogs wrote:
From my experiance diesel in a gas truck or gas in a diesel doesn't just kill the truck or cost thousands to fix like auto dealers like you to believe. Out of probably a dozen pickups that have had the wrong fuel put in them all I have ever had done was draining the fuel tank of the wrong fuel and refilling with the right fuel. If the mistake was caught after only pumping a few gallons the tank is just filled the rest of the way with the right fuel and kept full for a few 1000 miles to dilute the wrong fuel as much as possible.

I deal with this at least once a summer.

Fordlover wrote:

We used to get these at the Ford dealership simi frequently. Seems like they were mostly company vans/trucks. The thing that sucked was the 40 gallon tank would be full of the wrong stuff, so you had to find a place to store 40 gallons of contaminated fuel, then pull the tank and clean. Never did any damage that I can remember, but those were the 7.3/6.0 diesel days, long before the sensitive Bosch fuel pump.

That was before Common Rail diesels that operate at 23,000 psi and higher. Those high pressure fuel pumps run at the ragged edge of performance for the materials of which they are made, and gas being such a poor lubricant, they'll grind themselves to shreds with very little provocation. When that happens, it is impossible to clean out all the metal shavings, and the only permanent fix is to replace everything the fuel touches from the fuel tank to the lines to the injectors to the fuel filter housing, and THAT's what is so expensive. If you try to go cheap and only replace the HPFP, you should plan on having to repeat that every couple thousand miles.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
From my experiance diesel in a gas truck or gas in a diesel doesn't just kill the truck or cost thousands to fix like auto dealers like you to believe. Out of probably a dozen pickups that have had the wrong fuel put in them all I have ever had done was draining the fuel tank of the wrong fuel and refilling with the right fuel. If the mistake was caught after only pumping a few gallons the tank is just filled the rest of the way with the right fuel and kept full for a few 1000 miles to dilute the wrong fuel as much as possible.

I deal with this at least once a summer.

We used to get these at the Ford dealership simi frequently. Seems like they were mostly company vans/trucks. The thing that sucked was the 40 gallon tank would be full of the wrong stuff, so you had to find a place to store 40 gallons of contaminated fuel, then pull the tank and clean. Never did any damage that I can remember, but those were the 7.3/6.0 diesel days, long before the sensitive Bosch fuel pump.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
icanon wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
I thought the diesel nozzle is larger than a gas nozzle, so it wouldn't fit anyway?

Mitch

X2 ?

Around here they are only bigger at truck stops. The regular gas stations here have the same size nozzels for both as many people have Jettas etc that burn diesel.

Same all over, the only place I have ever seen the large fill nozzles is at truck stops. Not sure you can even get the large nozzle in the Ram trucks with the new capless system.

But as was mentioned less painful going diesel into a gas engine then gas into diesel engine.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I own a diesel I have nightmares thinking what if I (or more likely someone else) accidentally put gas in the tank?!?!? ๐Ÿ˜ž

I was at a gas station several years ago and guy filled his 7.3L Ford. As he walked in to pay he start having a real fit....he suddenly realized the green handles were premium and diesel handles were yellow. Holy cow he ripped the staff up and down for crossing the colors. Lucky for him he hadn't started the truck, but he did waste a full tank of fuel.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
And BP stations use green handles for both gas and diesel!!
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
bbaker2001 wrote:
when we were in Ireland, we had a diesel rental.. pulled into station, grab the green handle and started pumping. a man asked if I knew I was putting regular gas in my diesel car. I said it has a green handle. He said I must be an American. over there it is green for gas. opposite from us.

Boy, have I got news for you, my friend. IN THE US, THERE IS _NO_ STANDARD COLOR FOR PUMP HANDLES. Not green=diesel, not anything else for any other fuel. Not anywhere.

I have seen black, green, orange, yellow, and red handles on both gas and diesel pumps. If you go by pump handle color, you can wind up with anything. READ THE FRICKING _SIGN_.

Bedlam
Between the CTD and TDI we don't have any problems. At this point I have not tried to pump diesel into my off-road toys or motorcycles.

We just returned from a 4500 mile trip and twice I almost pumped red dye off-road diesel into my CTD. I had to look carefully at one of the pumps and was scratching my head why one selection was cheaper than the other at a Cenex station...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
With gas powered TV, pulled into my local Chevron station where I gas up all the time, filled up with what I thought was regular 87 octane. TV quit running after a few miles, turns out idiot fuel truck driver filled gas tanks with diesel. The dealer had set up an insurance program so all of his customers who had this problem could get it fixed at no cost. About 3 years later my cat failed prematurely, been wondering if the diesel was the cause. Shouldn't have signed off on the insurance fix so quick.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your vehicle is a diesel you can self pump ANYWHERE in Oregon.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I hate those BP green nozzles for gas. Now I see every color as mentioned but I grew up Green is diesel and still think that way
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
I thought the diesel nozzle is larger than a gas nozzle, so it wouldn't fit anyway?

Mitch

They are supposed to be...but not always, as proven by people that manage to put diesel fuel in gas-burning vehicles. (Offhand, Car & Driver did it to a long-term Subaru, and then-Hot Rod writer Doug Glad did it to his own Camaro.)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon (can't pump yourself) the attendant put gasoline in my son's RAM CTD. He caught it and told the station the truck wasn't moving until they fixed it. They called in a service with a special truck that pumped his tank, filled it half full with diesel, pumped it again and refilled with diesel. Apparently the problem is common as someone is making money with the remedy.

Both of my vehicles are diesels, don't have to waste valuable brain cells trying to make distinctions.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Just about pumped E 85 the other day. Also, farm diesel is another hazard. Farm diesel is fine unless you are caught.