cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's official, I need a 4x4!

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks ago, I got the rig in my signature stuck in the mud. My wife's family home is several hundred acres in south Georgia on a red clay county maintained road. We have a full hookup site there. Their mile long driveway is gravel so it is fine, but the county road is trouble if a lot of rain comes. Over the years I have had to delay an arrival or departure, but this was the first time getting stuck.

This red clay is like grease. It is even hard to walk in without falling. You have to try and balance your vehicle exactly on the crown of the road and have your speed just right or you are in the ditch. The only good thing is that the ditches are not deep enough to overturn the trailer. I was on my way into the farm after traveling all day and it just slid to the right. The trailer wheels came to rest in the ditch where the red arrow is below. I thought I may have to spend the night with the rig on the road.

The trailer was resting on several tree limbs that would do a lot of damage when pulling it out, so those had to be cut first. I knew my tow service with standard tow trucks would be useless in this situation. A call to the family determined our best bet was to get one of my wife's cousins to pull us out. I was thinking maybe he would bring a large tractor, but the weapon of choice was a 5 ton surplus military vehicle that her cousin had converted to a water truck for his forestry business. It was raining hard during this whole episode and I did not get pictures of his vehicle, but it looked a lot like this one below. It had a cab over, Unimog look, and three axles. Just before he started to hook me up, he did some noisy shifting into a low low or multiple axle mode, I think all three axles were drive axles, I'm not sure. The tires were not like in this picture but were the traditional army agricultural looking tread.

This truck was amazing. We used a chain to my front frame hook loop closest to the ditch. It pulled my rig like it was a toy. This diesel truck was very loud and at one point I did not notice my truck had stalled (manual transmission) and it just drug my locked up rear dually wheels through the mud like nothing had happened. He had to tow me about 60 yards, through this stream and into the gravel driveway.

So, I'm thinking my next truck will be a 4x4 diesel dually crew cab. I have a lot to learn about it, for example, I understand duallys present some issues in sand and perhaps mud, they sell some spacers for this. Also, I noticed my highway tires were a joke in this environment. They were coated with a half inch of clay mud and had no traction. I will have to get an aggressive tread and forget about road noise, gas mileage and tire wear. It doesn't matter how much I save if I can't get where I'm going.

An issue 4x4 fifth wheel owners have often had in this forum is traveling with a nose high camper. I do a lot of one night stays and stay hooked up. To be level, my pin plate is 46" off the ground. Even with the 2wd I have and factory flipped axles I am a little nose high now. I have to solve this somehow. I have heard of flatbed solutions, but that kills all your bed storage. We have been conditioned to think of 4x4s as needing a lot of suspension travel, thus being set high. Extreme suspension travel is necessary if you're in a rough off road situation, but I am in a smooth road situation. I just need the traction, not the suspension travel. My plan is to get in touch with my inner Lowrider and see the beauty of a low 4x4. I'm sure my dog would appreciate a lower jump in and out as well.

OK, maybe not this low:

But this is a sweet ride. I found the picture on an Airstream forum. I have a Ford now, but don't have to get a Ford. Of course, primary concern is engine/trans performance and reliability, but I would also want to see how easily each of the brands could be lowered.

thanks for any ideas or experiences,
fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
42 REPLIES 42

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
land anchor,look it up. any good mud tire throws the mud out.we off roaders all know that.if you buy bfg at's and expect to get through mud,you're dreaming.i live in a coastal rain forest,i know mud.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
Brisk wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
my trucks all get m/t tires.i don't care if they're loud,bad mileage or what ever.about 10 years ago i got run off the road by an atv'er.it cost me over 1000 for "off road recovery".now,i can launch the boat in any lake without worrying if i'm going to get stuck.i've got a 9500# winch as well as really agressive treads.

^^This. The first truck I owned was a 2wd because I "live in California and will never use 4x4" and it was the last 2wd truck I had got stuck in my friends yard, on level dry ground. That is when I swore off 2wd for good.

I only run MT tires in a larger than stock size. Other advantages to this is that I have never had a flat. I have pulled out countless nails, screws, even a bottle jack handle from my tires and have never had a flat. The tread is too thick. It is nice when I have to jump curbs to maneuver a trailer in tight places because the sidewalls are protected better. Sure they are louder on the highway, and wear a little faster (my last set of Hankook MTs lasted 55k though). I have never noticed any poor handling after they break in after 50 miles or so. My Chevy has the factory G80 Locker that has saved my butt more times than I can count.

We camp in the desert and on Pismo beach too and my truck is the only one of our group that hasn't been stuck (only one with MT tires too), although I probably just jinxed myself lol!
had those on my last truck.great off road,but boy they throw rocks!
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

I would recommend tire chains, all four wheels, either 2x or 4x, for best steering in greasy clay like the picture. I've been on roads like that, and ordinary 4x4 doesn't help enough to be worth traveling them, unless it is an emergency. The most aggressive tires will simply gum up and be worthless, but tire chains self-clean at low speed and nothing will outpull them.

My buddy had a winch and a penchant for getting stuck. I never saw him use it mostly because there is seldom any trees to anchor to in North Dakota and even when, not in the middle of the road where they'd do some good. But plenty of ways to get stuck. The best bet is another 4x4 and a springy nylon tow rope. Never travel bad roads alone here.

I've got a couple trucks, both with new Firestone tires. One has Transforce AT tires and the other Destination AT tires. The Destination's are the more aggressive tread but still quiet for now. Still they will likely be noisy when worn down and I very much dislike noisy tires. Lucky for me, at my age, I probably won't live long enough to wear them out.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
All the stock rubber is useless off pavement.

I would agree based on the Transforce HT tires my new Ram came with. My wife's Pilot has more aggressive rubber.

I like the looks of the Cooper S/T Maxx. Kind of a tweener mix of AT and MT, and I've had good luck with Cooper in the past.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
The 4x4 option pays for itself the first time you need it and come resale time. But as others have said, go with some good quality AT or even MT tires. All the stock rubber is useless off pavement, though nowadays it is tall so I'd stick with the stock sizes for stability, ratios etc.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbouy wrote:
my trucks all get m/t tires.i don't care if they're loud,bad mileage or what ever.about 10 years ago i got run off the road by an atv'er.it cost me over 1000 for "off road recovery".now,i can launch the boat in any lake without worrying if i'm going to get stuck.i've got a 9500# winch as well as really agressive treads.

^^This. The first truck I owned was a 2wd because I "live in California and will never use 4x4" and it was the last 2wd truck I had got stuck in my friends yard, on level dry ground. That is when I swore off 2wd for good.

I only run MT tires in a larger than stock size. Other advantages to this is that I have never had a flat. I have pulled out countless nails, screws, even a bottle jack handle from my tires and have never had a flat. The tread is too thick. It is nice when I have to jump curbs to maneuver a trailer in tight places because the sidewalls are protected better. Sure they are louder on the highway, and wear a little faster (my last set of Hankook MTs lasted 55k though). I have never noticed any poor handling after they break in after 50 miles or so. My Chevy has the factory G80 Locker that has saved my butt more times than I can count.

We camp in the desert and on Pismo beach too and my truck is the only one of our group that hasn't been stuck (only one with MT tires too), although I probably just jinxed myself lol!

Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Clay will pack up in just about any tire, and the only way to clear it is wheel speed - which just makes the situation worse.
Bob

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Location can make a huge difference in the need for a 4x4. If you camp only in places with paved roads and campsites, probably will never need it.

But go to a state park in FL, you might find some with sugar sand. I watched the person in the site next to me dig holes while backing the trailer into their site at Hillsborough River State Park. She stepped out of her vehicle, and I walked her way to offer help... but she engaged the manual hubs, engaged the 4WD, and the truck climbed out of the ruts, and pushed the camper to the site.

Back then, I had a 2WD truck, and a popup camper. I ALMOST got stuck trying to leave the campsite. Fortunately I had some momentum when the tires started to dig.

My last 4 vehicles have had 4x4. Yes, you pay more up front, but you will get more for your vehicle when you sell or trade it.

Even backing into an uphill campsite on wet grass is a challenge without 4WD.

Never regretted having 4WD, and my current truck even has a locker on the rear axle.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Winches are nice to have...but...what with the comments of 'ride quality' and
other lux stuff (compared to hard core off roading) will have all of the mud
get inside the vehicle

As you have to get out and hook up to whatever (tree, boulder, etc) after you
spool out the 100ft or so of cable...

Maybe a bit better with the remotes of today (both tethered or wireless)...but
you still have to get out in that stuff and get back into the vehicle

Okay when had the 1970 Toyota FJ40, as the interior was easy to hose out...not
my K5 or Suburban...ordered my Sub with the F60 option (snow plow prep) expecting
to mount a winch...but after a few trips out there...knew a winch and the mud/dirt/etc
inside would have upset her and even me with the lux package

Deep lugged tires but then they would be horrible on pavement...can't have it
both ways...even then...gotta spin them to fling off the mud...otherwise
they would just load up to become slicks

Gravel or some such is the best, IMHO
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I couldn't get by with a 2wd truck. They're useless on snowy or icy roads, not to mention off-road situations. Luckily where I live you can't really even get a 2wd truck unless you special order it - 4wd is the expected norm.

X2
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Winches are good, as long as you have something to connect to.

I agree with the need for a 4WD truck, but can you get by with a single wheel one-ton instead of a dually? I've never owned a dually, but my father-in-law had one that had a difficult time due to clay/mud/snow packing in between the dual wheels. His single wheel 4X4's were always more successful in getting you where you needed to get at the end of the day. Anyway, just a comment for whatever it's worth.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Bedlam
You get a 12k or 15k winch and use double line or triple line pulling for extraction. Naturally, your mounting point has to be sufficiently strong to handle such large forces.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Winch would have to be able to handle over 20K lbs. Unless you unhitched but then how do you get the trailer out?

That's a big winch.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't get by with a 2wd truck. They're useless on snowy or icy roads, not to mention off-road situations. Luckily where I live you can't really even get a 2wd truck unless you special order it - 4wd is the expected norm.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here they are sold as surplus.

This one only has 7200 miles on it, 6x6 drive, CAT diesel, 31,900 GVWR.