cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jay Flight vs. Coleman (Dutchmen): which is better?

mickeyhs
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to buy a new TT, which one is better brand?
16 REPLIES 16

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 Jaycos,all 3 were very good campers. I don't have any experience with Thor \ Coleman so I couldn't chime in either way.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
LakeN wrote:
Have to chime in and say we had a nightmare experience with a Jayco. Yes, it was purchased new, company put new roof on in IN, still leaked, sides delaminated all within 6 months of ownership. Company heirarchy very difficult to deal with when you need help. Had to get state attorney general involved. Would never consider a Jayco!

Wasn't that over 10 years ago on a felt backed 2003 Kiwi roof that everyone was using at that time and your roof failed, like everyone's, even from other trailer manufacturers. The trailer was also a 'glued together' disposable (IMO) laminated build and why I recommend "Stick and Tin" like the Jay Fight models.

I've had a problem unit in 2008 and Jayco bent over backward to make sure everything was fixed correctly at the factory. They even fixed things that the dealer messed up. 1st rate, I would choose no one else above jayco unless I didn't like their floorplans.

I've had the 2012 and it's build quality is second to none, along with it's features. Yet it was inexpensive. Jayco is the best in the industry IMO and I would only choose another make if Jayco didn't have the floorplan.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

kendeb
Explorer
Explorer
JAYCO!
2015 Jayco 19 RD
2007 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L V8 HEMI
Ken
Debbie
Chloe (dog)

spud1960
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Coleman!!

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Before you make a final decision take a look at the Retro 195 built by Riverside. I visited their plant last week and reviewed each step of the assembly process. I was very impressed with their attention to detail. The Amish assembliers seem to take great pride in doin the job correctly.

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted duplicate post
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Have to chime in and say we had a nightmare experience with a Jayco. Yes, it was purchased new, company put new roof on in IN, still leaked, sides delaminated all within 6 months of ownership. Company heirarchy very difficult to deal with when you need help. Had to get state attorney general involved. Would never consider a Jayco!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco makes a good trailer no doubt about that, but anybody can make a lemon, and I am sure a Jayco lemon exists, of course the 2 year warranty helps.

On the other hand I have owned 2 Dutchmen products and have been very happy, my current 2011 Kodiak has never since been returned to the dealer for any problems. So even Dutchmen can make a good product :B

So has others said, pick the best floor plan you like, and if it's available with Jayco, and at a good close to comparable price...then I'd go with the Jayco.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think the ads state the Jay Flight is the best selling TT. X2 on the best floor plan. Why does it have to be a Jay Flight. Jayco make about 100 different models (slight exaggeration) but a lot of choices.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mickeyhs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the good feedback.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I researched new trailers for 2 years, went to a LOT of RV shows and walked through a LOT of different brands and trim lines. For my money, the JayFlight was the best product out there. Between the build quality and standard features, down to finishing details and price. We bought our new JayFlight earlier this spring and LOVE it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Y-Guy
Few things to share. The Coleman name means nothing, it's just licensed for the purpose of name recognition. For years it was under the Fleetwood brand, then picked up by Dutchmen. Dutchmen is now owned by Thor.

My challenge to you is to go to both company websites. Now look up the warranty for each. How easy is it to find? I know that Jayco's is very easy. I couldn't find the warranty for Coleman. Though it's not the end all, it does make you question why.

Most of all as already stayed buy based on the Floorplan you like and the dealer that gives you the best service.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing to consider when looking at TT's, I personally would stay away from the cheap model or entry model from any TT manufacturer.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Jayco. Bought it new in March 2013 and I've only had minor issues that I fixed myself. I have never had to take it to the dealer for a repair. We would buy a Jayco again.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran