Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco Whitehawk - Dexter Axle Issue

emmysdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Whitehawk 29SQB.

When I stored my camper for the winter, I didn't look as closely to things as I should have maybe. When I brought the camper in from the field and put it in the driveway, I noticed that there was pretty uneven wear on all 4 tires.

We've had a late start to the year this year, and I never got out until the first week of July for my first camping trip. Every time I walked around the camper, the uneven tire wear bothered the heck out of me.

When I got home at the beginning of last week (July 7), I checked my paperwork, and my camper came out of warranty on May 22, 2014.. drat, missed it by a month.

I did a quick GOOGLE search and found a bunch of threads about similar issues. There are a number of reported incidents where Dexter is replacing the axles as they are undersized. The early model year Whitehawk units shipped with 2 3/8" inch axles, which are rated for 3,500lbs each, for a total of 7,000lb. From what I've heard, there is/was an engineering issue where the weights reported by Jayco to Dexter were much higher, and the axles can't handle the load. This is causing the axles to bend, which is changing the camber of the wheels, causing them to wear unevenly. I read a number of cases where Dexter is replacing the axles with 3" axles, and in some cases with new tires as well.

Tuesday morning, I went to the dealer (where it's now stored), took pictures and headed in to talk to the service manager.

i asked him about axle problems, he immediately asked if I had tire wear issues, I indicated yes. He asked me to email him pictures and descriptions and details. I emailed him all the relevant info. He forwarded everything off to Dexter, I didn't have to do a thing.

Within 2 hours he had approval from Dexter for the axles and labor, and the next morning, received additional approvals for 4 new tires as well.

This has likely been covered, but a quick search on this forum didn't bring it up, and as these early model year campers are coming out of warranty, if you have a Whitehawk with a 2 3/8" axle, please address it with your dealer, as you may have some recourse.
9 REPLIES 9

jonitza
Explorer
Explorer
They are replacing the 2 3/8" with 3" axles. Right down the serial # from the sticker on your axle and call dexter, they will tell you if you need them replaced. They replaced mine already and what a big differnce. Its mainly for the 2012 and early 2013 whitehawks

emmysdad
Explorer
Explorer
bnk190 wrote:
What axles are they now putting under it? Here is why I asked. We are looking at a 2015 White Hawk 24RBS and was told there are 2 3000lb axles for 6000 total on 14" tires.

I think it matters somewhat on the size/length/weight of the unit.

My camper is a 29' Single slide, bunk house, and the qty 2 2 3/8" axles are not enough. They are being replaced with qty 2 3" axles. Further reading shows that the 2 3/8" are 3500 pounds each, and the 3" ones that they are replacing are reported to be between 6,000 and 7,200lbs each..

My camper is a 2012, I would assume that by 2014/2015 they have the axle issues resolved. It's worth the question to the dealer though.

emmysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Travelland RV, Regina, Sk
(306) 789-3311

Scott is the Service Manager and has always taken great care of us.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You should tell us the name of this dealer so his diligence may be rewarded by some new business.

emmysdad
Explorer
Explorer
You can measure the diameter with a tape measure, or if you prefer, you can measure the circumference and then divide that number by Pi (3.14)

Dexter - Your dealer will require the following information:

* The Length of the Trailer.
* The Estimated Mileage of the Trailer.
* The Model name of the Trailer.
* The Model number of the Trailer.
* The Number of axles on the Trailer.
* The Date of Purchase of the Trailer.
* The Axle Serial Number. XXXXXXXXX (located to the right of info tag on axle rub some chalk to hi-lite the numbers for ease of reading)
* The casting number off of the Equalizer: (13-xxx) ( The peice between the leaf springs)
* The VIN Number of the Trailer.
* Pictures and description of your issue.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you locate information on the size of your axles?

bnk190
Explorer
Explorer
What axles are they now putting under it? Here is why I asked. We are looking at a 2015 White Hawk 24RBS and was told there are 2 3000lb axles for 6000 total on 14" tires.

emmysdad
Explorer
Explorer
According to Dexter, Jayco is providing them support, however they are dealing with the issues as a single point of contact. I have to think it's some effort of avoiding a recall.

I'm not sure why I had to do the research and discover the problem, how come if my dealer knew when I mentioned it to him, why didn't they call their customer base and inform them?

at the end of the day, I win, but if I hadn't researched, and asked, I would have been the loser in this equation.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice to know you have a dealer going to bat for you, and that Dexter appears to be coming through. Not everyone is that lucky! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375