cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Grand Cherokee for tow vehicle?

Ladolceveda
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the size and features of the new Jeep Grand Cherokee for a tow vehicle but need to hear from some of you who have experience with it. In the market now for a trailer and tow vehicle so length you have pulled will be helpful as well. Planning on the 5.7L V8 and a 26ft 5500LB trailer.
8 REPLIES 8

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We REALLY wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and we REALLY wanted a 6000# GVWR 23' travel trailer. After doing a LOT of research, we decided that was not a combination that we would have had fun towing, especially in the mountains. We got our TT, but bought an F-150 instead. I think we made the right decision. Our truck has an 1895# payload and 11,800# tow capacity. I will feel much better towing in adverse conditions with that much extra capacity.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
chryslermastertech wrote:
pull my 21 ft tt with my grand v6 with no problems

The Viking TT in your sig? It's 2000 lb lighter than the one the OP is proposing to pull.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
pull my 21 ft tt with my grand v6 with no problems
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your pushing it with that trailer. I have the V8 grand Cherokee and it ties my 23 ft 4600lb trailer wonderfully. Before the V8 I had the V6 and it also pulled the trailer well. But, 26 ft is getting pretty long and you'll have a hard with the the payload capacity as it's quiet low on the Jeep.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the trailer weight rating. The limiting factor for towing with any SUV is the payload capacity. The tongue weight of the trailer counts as payload, as does the weight of the WD hitch. The most capable JGC has a payload of about 1300 lbs. This is before any options are added to the base vehicle, so a heavily optioned Cherokee will have less payload available for cargo and passengers. The shorter wheelbase can lead to a less than optimal towing experience too. As others have said, there are may factors to consider, like where and how much you'll be towing.

A 5500 lb trailer is pushing the limits, IMHO.
Jeep Towing
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.7L and 8-spd trans are strong and should have no problem with the weight. 5500 pounds dry means 6500 pounds loaded with over 750 pounds of loaded TW. I believe that exceeds the JGC receiver limit and really restricts the amount of payload left for passengers and cargo inside the Jeep while towing.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The JGC is fully capable at those levels. Don't go any longer and get a real sway control hitch like the Hensley and you'll be fine.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are numerous items that affect a tow vehicle / trailer match up. What one person is towing, may not be the same as what another can tow with the same make /model vehicle.

Depending on installed options, tow capacity varies from one vehicle to another. They could be same make and model, but, have different capacities. When you go looking at vehicles, check the tire and loading sticker on the drivers door. You will see different numbers for what each vehicle is rated to carry. This also affects what the vehicle can tow. A 5500 lb trailer will take 8 - 900 lbs out of that number on the loading sticker.

There are differences in family size and the amount of stuff the operator carries along. Take two tow vehicles that are exactly the same, the one with a smaller family and less cargo, could tow more trailer.

There are differences in the amount of cargo people load into their trailers. One family may carry 800 lbs of stuff, when another is carrying 2000 lbs.

There are differences in where people are towing. Short, flatland trips or crossing a mountain range.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)