cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jefe4x4 interview

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Recently I read a interview of our jefe4x4 with Mello Mike, I found it to be interesting piece.

click here PART1, PART2
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
20 REPLIES 20

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
Great interview Mike, having met both of you at the OX, you are both masters of the craft of TC'ing. Jefe takes it just a bit futher out there in extreme off-road TC'ing, not many would do what he does with a hardside TC. My hats off to both of you.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex 😄
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great article & video. Of course a dually would be more stable :B:B;)

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
jefe 4x4 wrote:
RickW, 4x4x4,
The fact is, some of the very best mods I use now were copied from your "McGiver-like" solutions to problemos. Take for instance the tie downs for the rear aluminum carrier. Where in the world did I find that? HmmMM? I use the same turnbuckles, chain and D rings as you do, with a shortened 2" receiver on the rack to make it not extend farther than the end of the TC.
jefe

veni vidi feci :B
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
RickW, 4x4x4,
The fact is, some of the very best mods I use now were copied from your "McGiver-like" solutions to problemos. Take for instance the tie downs for the rear aluminum carrier. Where in the world did I find that? HmmMM? I use the same turnbuckles, chain and D rings as you do, with a shortened 2" receiver on the rack to make it not extend farther than the end of the TC.

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the pleasure of "eating Jefe's dust" in Death Valley, like a dusty grasshopper following his master. :W

He is one prepared dude.

What is not obvious in the interview, for every tool, technique or mod he uses, there are many others he contemplated, investigated, tried, evaluated and rejected. That would be quite a list.

Hope to see you and Jeannie on the road soon, old friend.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years now, I have come to this forum to seek answers to my questions concerning Truck Campers. There are many knowledgeable posters here and more coming each day. With that said, there are some that stand out more than others, with their expertise and knowledge. Jefe is certainly one of these stand out people. While I lack expertise in most everything, I know Jefe will be there to help anyway he can, he is that quality of a person, first, and a true adventurer after that. It has been my pleasure to meet him, on a few occasions, and it just proves I will make that effort to make sure our paths cross again. Glad to see the interview and thanks to Mike Smith for sharing more XTC Adventures to an even wider audience, which might otherwise have missed it.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
As to the video, DANG, Definitely not dually country!!

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ah Jefe, what do we do when the legend and the reality are one and the same? Post a Mellow Mike interview with the legend talking about the reality. What a good read, it's great to know you.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Aw, gee whiz, Alex,
My buddie, Ralph Sauer has some perspective for this post:
"If presented with a choice between the legend and the reality, always go with the legend."
I still have to don my rubber gloves when I dump the black tank.

While we're at it, Alex has posted a finely edited new youtube vid. for those who can never get enough, "Bros on the Mojave Road" vids, showing some impressive side hilling and Alex towing the ubiquitous, bulletproof Uhaul with his mighty Ford F250 up the drop of death. jefe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5nISkmcE9M&lc=z13kz5jjnxnfv3lzo04ci3mgkpj2hhmy5p40k

Here's a working link Mojave Death V-Notch

Thanks jefe4x4
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Great article and good read, thank you to Mello Mike and Jefe4x4 for all the valuable info you bring to this forum!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Aw, gee whiz, Alex,
My buddie, Ralph Sauer has some perspective for this post:
"If presented with a choice between the legend and the reality, always go with the legend."
I still have to don my rubber gloves when I dump the black tank.

While we're at it, Alex has posted a finely edited new youtube vid. for those who can never get enough, "Bros on the Mojave Road" vids, showing some impressive side hilling and Alex towing the ubiquitous, bulletproof Uhaul with his mighty Ford F250 up the drop of death. jefe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5nISkmcE9M&lc=z13kz5jjnxnfv3lzo04ci3mgkpj2hhmy5p40k
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
THAT WAS AWESOME... Great read.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Having spent many hours following and attempting to keep up with Jefe and Cabeza de Vaca on last fall's High Sierra XTC trip, I can truly say that Mike's interview represents Jefe and his rig and his knowledge very well. Jefe is very successful at doing what he loves.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Great interview with the man of many stories.
But can that 'December of life' nonsense - 'no sign of letting up' is what's important.
Cal