cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7 and I'm confused

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I did have a 03 F250 6.0. It had a tow/haul button. I now have the Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7. I now have a tow/haul button, a diesel exaust brake button, and a "+/-" button that is on the steering column for changing your gears. I am really confused about what I should use and when. I'm towing a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler fifth wheel.
Anybody else have the above truck with towing experience with it? I could really use some advice.
thanks for any help.
The Lost Travellers,
Bruce and Connie
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie
67 REPLIES 67

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
When towing my 12K Cedar Creek I run TH, EB and Cruise control. with my 2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

talonhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '14 Ram 3500 Mega Dually Aisin w/3.73's. In town or when speeds are less than 45, I use T/H and EB on Full. Slows it right down and keeps shifting to a min. When above 45 (constant) I turn off T/H (not towing) and EB on auto. This gives me the best performance in town with engine braking, and best mileage on the hi-way. It was just a matter of trial and error. Towing a decent amount of weight, T/H would probably be on full time. Steep down grades towing EB would probably go to Full. Just my .02
2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
06Fargo wrote:
Our Dodge 3500 is in tow haulage mode all the time. 6 speed I-Shift behind a South Bend dual disk... :C

NICE!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our Dodge 3500 is in tow haulage mode all the time. 6 speed I-Shift behind a South Bend dual disk... :C

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I never use tow-haul unless in hills , I have same truck. Always use e brake unless extremely slippery . The plus and minus button , I have used it only going down big hills in mountains .

This is foolish. When loaded you want to run tow haul. Your converter will end up locked earlier and generate much less heat, as well as lockup occurring in a lower gear will result in less shock to the trans and drivetrain when the converter locks.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
For all you people saying that reading the owners manual will tell you everything. Tell me the page number to where it tells you how to disable the seat belt chime on a Ram truck.

That seat belt warning is required by law, there is no way a manufacturer is going to publish how to disable it.

The manual doesn't tell you everything but is always a good place to start. There is lots of good information there and I go back to mine frequently even though I have had my truck for five years. The last time was just recently to find out how to change a DRL bulb.

Here it is and it works like a charm!

That was published by the manufacturer?

I think so but I can't say for sure. I believe it's an option that can be done at the owners request.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford outlines a very similar, if not identical, procedure in thier owners manual.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
For all you people saying that reading the owners manual will tell you everything. Tell me the page number to where it tells you how to disable the seat belt chime on a Ram truck.

That seat belt warning is required by law, there is no way a manufacturer is going to publish how to disable it.

The manual doesn't tell you everything but is always a good place to start. There is lots of good information there and I go back to mine frequently even though I have had my truck for five years. The last time was just recently to find out how to change a DRL bulb.

Yes, RAM publishes a product called the RAM body builder and up-fitters guide. It is available for download, just Google it.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuildersguide/

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

Wanna bet?

Interesting. Which manufacturer publishes in their operating manual how to disable the seat belt warning?

Ford outlines the procedure for us. I've disabled both this truck and my previous. Problem is it doesn't silence all the annoying warning chimes......I have yet to figure out how to shut off the one that generally sits over in the passenger's side seat.

Still don't know why you would want to silence them?

People who use their truck around a farm, construction site, or campground, often jump in the truck to drive 300 ft and they don't want to be bothered with buckling and unbuckling all the time.

Driving with the exhaust brake on all the time to avoid brake wear doesn't seem necessary to me. I never looked at the brakes on my last Ford. It never had an exhaust brake and after 90,000 miles the brakes were still performing like new. The purchaser of our last Duramax (no exhaust brake) wanted a mechanical inspection done prior to purchasing the truck. The shop said the original brakes had 60% brake wear remaining after 110,000 miles.
B&W Companion

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

Wanna bet?

Interesting. Which manufacturer publishes in their operating manual how to disable the seat belt warning?

Ford outlines the procedure for us. I've disabled both this truck and my previous. Problem is it doesn't silence all the annoying warning chimes......I have yet to figure out how to shut off the one that generally sits over in the passenger's side seat.

Still don't know why you would want to silence them?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

Wanna bet?

B&W Companion

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Was reading this thread and wondered haven't automakers really improved the corrosion resistance of vehicles vs. 40 or more years ago? Have lived in the North and have been in Florida last 4 decades. Remember how my Dad's cars corroded around fender wells and rocker panels from all that road salt. Down here, the Florida variety of body 'cancer' was distinctive because it always seemed to develop around the windshield and back glass, especially if one lived at or near the coast. Don't see it anymore. Agree wherever one lives, regular cleaning, wax application, and undercarriage flushing with water do seem to make a difference.