cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 80GS.

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
Not a smoking deal at $11K, but it's clean and a done deal. I'm picking it up Saturday. I ordered Torklift tie downs, but I won't have them in time. I plan to attach it to the truck for the 100 mile trip with multiple ratcheting straps. I'm looking forward to not freezing my ass off on my future off-roading trips.:C
29 REPLIES 29

Sheepdog_Captai
Explorer
Explorer
Those dimensions sound about right - I can't find my notes on the project right now but my Amazon history shows I purchased a Barker model #11917 - which has the dimensions you listed.
The toughest part of the project involved rerouting the water lines to accommodate the new tank location. I didn't have a lot of experience with the plastic pipes and connectors. Once I figured it out it was just a matter of fitting the pieces together in a way that everything fit - that tank fits the space but there's not a lot of wiggle room.
2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Ext Cab Long Box 6.6L Diesel
2011 Adventurer 80GS Camper
2002 Aquasport 215DC Osprey Sport Boat

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Bob. Question. Did you use the 22" x 14.75" x 20" Barker tank? I was thinking of making a shelf over the black water tank and relocating the battery there. I would then put a narrow tall tank all the way across the back of the compartment where the current tank resides.

Sheepdog_Captai
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike008!
I have the 80GS as well and found the water capacity to be a problem (esp. if you want to use the shower!). I was able to replace the original tank with a Barker 26 gallon tank. The new tank fits (very) snug on the left (drivers) side of the compartment. After I removed the original tank from the right (passenger) side of the compartment I moved the battery (I have an AGM battery that doesn't require venting) from the left to the right side; moved the inverter to the right; and repositioned the 7-pin connector. That gave me just enough room to install the new tank on the left side of the compartment. Its a very tight squeeze but it works. The extra water capacity really makes a difference and I am very pleased with how well it worked out. I used to have to refill the original tank on long weekend outings using a 5-gallong plastic Jerry can if we didn't have water hookups; that was a pain in the a$$.
On a similar note - we found the black and gray water tank capacity to be a bit limited as well (again, esp. if you want to use the shower). Easily solved with a Barker 10-gallon tote. If we fill a holding tank up I can dump it to the tote at our campsite and then just wheel that to an outhouse or bathroom to dump - just like a cassette toilet system. I found the 10-gallon size to be the most manageable (given 1 gal = approx 8 lbs).
Otherwise the 80GS is a great little camper! I like that fact that we can access it without having to put the slide out - makes it handy to load up and for stopping for lunch or 'stealth' camping.
~Bob
2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Ext Cab Long Box 6.6L Diesel
2011 Adventurer 80GS Camper
2002 Aquasport 215DC Osprey Sport Boat

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking setup. Any chance you could take a lot of pics for us when you do your jack conversion? Better yet a video?

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
On the water tank issue, if 10 gallons turns out to be not enough, after doing some measuring I see I can fit a 20 gallon tank with a little shuffling of components. We'll see.

Vinsil wrote:
Also on the tuning...I know it sounds scary but with a good tune, the engine will run cooler, get better mileage and not work as hard. Really though, I understand not wanting to harm the transmission but you don't need to add a lot of power to have a good tune that will give you better drivability, i.e. Help with lower speed spooling!

I'm going to have to consider it. I'm going on a run in December. There are some ruthless long hills getting there. It's been OK with just the trailer, but I have a feeling the added weight of the camper is really going to slow me down.

goreds2 wrote:
Nice camper. Does not look overbearing etc.

Thanks. Some of the locations I go to can be a little rough getting in and out. I don't want it to be any more difficult then it needs to be. And then there's the fuel issue too. Lighter is better.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Nice camper. Does not look overbearing etc.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Mike008 wrote:
So I've been poking around the camper making sure there are no leaks and familiarizing myself with it. One of my concerns with this TC was the small amount of fresh water it carries, the spec lists it at 15 gallons. I uncovered the fresh water tank. I was thinking it looks kind of small. So I measured it. 13 x 9.5 x 19. I'm no math wiz, but I calculate that as only 10 gallons. Which really is not a lot of water. :M
I have a feeling if I call Adventurer they will tell me they include the hot water capacity (4 gallons) in the 15 gallon fresh water spec. Seems kind of shady to me. I guess I may have to carry extra water with me on the longer trips.

Manufacturers (not all) do this when they have already small capacities. 15 sounds right, 4 gallons in the water heater and another in the lines. Shady? Sure.

Also on the tuning...I know it sounds scary but with a good tune, the engine will run cooler, get better mileage and not work as hard. Really though, I understand not wanting to harm the transmission but you don't need to add a lot of power to have a good tune that will give you better drivability, i.e. Help with lower speed spooling!

Mine had a 4" exhaust, BHAF mod, and was tuned. I didn't do the turbo wheel upgrade but rode in trucks with them...big difference. I also left mine on a 40 horse tune and yanked around a 10k toyhauler and TC for years. No issues!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been poking around the camper making sure there are no leaks and familiarizing myself with it. One of my concerns with this TC was the small amount of fresh water it carries, the spec lists it at 15 gallons. I uncovered the fresh water tank. I was thinking it looks kind of small. So I measured it. 13 x 9.5 x 19. I'm no math wiz, but I calculate that as only 10 gallons. Which really is not a lot of water. :M
I have a feeling if I call Adventurer they will tell me they include the hot water capacity (4 gallons) in the 15 gallon fresh water spec. Seems kind of shady to me. I guess I may have to carry extra water with me on the longer trips.

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Mike take a look at Riff Raff diesel better turbo wheel choices 🙂

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Nice setup. That is tyoical for the 7.3 powerstroke...they don't spool quick...try a wicked wheel and some minor tuning.

I'm considering a new turbo wheel, exhaust, which it needs anyway and maybe something on the air filter side. I'm really trying to avoid a tuner. The truck has been 100% reliable and I'm concerned about fooling with it too much. Also I don't want to add a ton of power, I don't want to put the trans at risk either.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setup. That is tyoical for the 7.3 powerstroke...they don't spool quick...try a wicked wheel and some minor tuning.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the dinette in this TC is almost unusable for an adult. I may make a few custom changes there. I'm thinking a single bench seat and a small fold down table would be more ideal.

And a step on the trailer would be helpful to get in and out.

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
I did my first run this past weekend with the TC. My only regret, I didn't buy one sooner. It really makes the trip much more easy and enjoyable. It was in the lower 30's at night, not my idea of tent camping weather. A few friends are now considering this route after seeing my TC and how compact it is. Like me, they thought all TC's were heavy and cumbersome.

I'm thinking air bags are in my near future. After looking at all my options, I think it's the best route for me. I like Stableload for the fact that it uses the existing springs. I don't like the fact that the uppers effect the ride when empty. My lower overload spring is really thick and in my opinion designed to contact the spring pack flush. Which the lower Stableload does not do. With the air bags I can put more or less air in depending on whether I'm trailering or not.

I'm also entertaining some kind of minor turbo upgrade to the truck. Once I'm rolling and the turbo is spooled, it's fine. Getting to that point is a little slow.

TangoFox
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Any inside pictures?
2008 Silverado 3500HD, EFI Live!, Additional Leaf Springs, Big Wig Front and Rear Sway Bars, Torklift Mounts & Tiedowns, Firestone HT 245/75R17, APE Intake, & Uniden BC536HP
Running with 2014 Lance 1172, Solar, Added Inverter

The Truck Camping Map Project