cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased first trailer. Need help with repairs.

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased my first travel trailer, a 2006 Coachmen Captiva 265ex. There are a couple of exterior pieces that need replacing.

The vent from the range hood needs replacing, the door on the electrical cord is broken and the latch that holds the storage hatch open is broken. I have these on order. (I went for a stainless steel hatch latch!) My question is what caulk to purchase? I have ready many posts and believe this is what I need? http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Leveling-Sealant-White-551LSW/dp/B00FFAZNYI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1397... Is this the correct stuff?

Should I do any preventative caulking around the door, windows and lights?
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.
9 REPLIES 9

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think this Marinco accepts a standard RV power cord. The stainless steel one will require a Marinco cord to operate correctly, I believe. Nothing wrong with having a Marinco cord, though. They are tough as nails.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys. I found several Marinco flush plugs. There were a couple stainless steel ones for boats. I love overkill!

What do you guys think:
Marinco stainless steel power inlet

Would it most likely fit my trailer?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a Marinco for the power inlet. It may cost more than a Camco but it will be worth it in the long run.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the Marinco/Park Power kit, about 90 bucks on Amazon. Fairly easy install, about 30 minutes. Have been happy with it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up going with the Dicor non-leveling sealer. The local RV dealer actually had it for cheaper than I could find in on the internet????? When I picked it up the counter person told me "Just go with the silicon, that is the only thing we use around her". I went with the diroc!

Thanks for the tip on the Butyl rubber. I picked up a roll of that too and it seems like it could take care of the sealing needs all by itself... I used Dicor anyway.

The Cover on the electrical umbilical cord is broken. I don't want to provide any unnecessary gaps for mice to get in. I am thinking of replacing the cord cover with a flush mount plug. I haven't found a good flush mount plug yet though. My umbilical cover is 5 1/4" round at the extents of the flange. Any recommendations for an affordable cord to flush mount plug conversion?

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
I always butyl rubber tape behind the vents (roof or side wall) and windows. Then pair that with either Dicor Leveling or Non Leveling depending on the application.
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP.......that's the one I use
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be several Pro-Flex caulks sold be Geocel. Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28101V-White-Flexible-Sealant/dp/B004RCP49O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Dicor Non-Leveling Sealant is good caulk for sidewalls, vertical surfaces.

I prefer ProFlex Sealant. Just works better for me.

Roof seams and around vents on roof I DO use Dicor Leveling Sealant.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31