cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone TT

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at purchasing a used 2016 or 2017 Passport, Bullet etc. I'm starting to hear bad things about anything made by Keystone and Thor. Let hear your thoughts. Thanks

PS I hope this does not open a can of worms.
23 REPLIES 23

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have friends that own a Keystone TT that they bought new. After a couple of years the cabinetry and dinette was falling apart due to poor workmanship. I spent a day fixing it for them.

I've been to our local RV show a number of times and have seen Keystone units with obvious, in-your-face, bad cabinetry workmanship like cabinet doors that can't be closed due to improper installation of hinges for example. You'd think the dealer would go through a TT and fix things before thousands of prospective buyers parade through it.

The worst case about a Keystone TT was a guy we met in a CG. His roof leaked like a sieve from new. The dealer could not fix it and it got sent to the factory for repair, but the factory only made it worse. He ended up fixing it himself.

I've seen Keystone TTs on display at a dealer and just for fun have looked at GVWR and tire and axle capacities. Keystone will sometimes install tires and axles that are very close to their max. load ratings. No law against that unfortunately. Then an owner can end up with a blowout or bent axle and wonder why.

Personally, I'd never buy a Keystone but other owners claim to have had few issues. We were lucky with our KZ TT as it was one of the last to go out the factory door before Thor bought them out. If we were to buy again, the only one I'd consider would be an OutdoorsRV TT. Keystone uses bling as a lure but it's what you can't see that matters most. Choose wisely and don't get sucked in by the price because you can spend a lot more dealing with issues down the road.

A dealer can also be a big factor as many are inept at repairing things and can take forever to do warranty work.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what Iโ€™ve seen, they are no better or worse than most others. When we bought ours, we were looking for certain floor plans, not manufacturer. And I went over, under, and through it with a moisture meter, screw gun and flashlight.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
Great Thanks for everyone's post. I'm glad to hear it because I am finding a lot of nice used ones

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not unusual for many satisfied owners to not go out of their way to post good reviews.

Bad reviews, there are some folks who complain about manufacturers when their problem was actually self induced. And, there are some folks who complain about the RV manufacturer, when the real cause of their problem is a dealer or a company that makes the subsystems. IE: entertainment systems and appliances, etc

You'll see more complaints with Thor and Forest River simply because they make more units.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Bullet Premiere 31BHPR... Love it and no issues worth mentioning.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look long enough and youโ€™ll find issues with all manuf. itโ€™ll get to the point you wonโ€™t want to buy anything.

Forest River and Thor are 2 of the biggest manuf.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2016 28ft Cougar from Diamond RV in Hatfield ma.We are very satisfied with the quality and the service we received both befor and after the sale.we had the awning motor fail and it was replaced no problems with warranty work.

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
Does not surprise me, in 2008-09 when the industry went south that happened

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
FYI Thor has bought out most RV mfg's.