cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking Hex Shower Frame

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
New Keystone Bullet 220RBI is leaking around the bottom corners of the shower panels. After searching the net over and over and over, Ive discovered it is a common problem. I've read that traveling tweaks the frame and loosens silicone. It seems that many hex showers have this issue. This is our third rv, but first with a hex shower.

Is there any true way to stop this?
I've read all the horror stories and reviews of dropping unit back off where I purchased it, in order to receive warranty work. I do not want my unit to sit three months w/o being touched. I do not want to get it back and find a pile of gooped up silicone mess.

Please offer adviceโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ
We are leaving Thursday to go camping again. Has leaked every trip and is getting worse.
6 REPLIES 6

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Unable to get to it before leaving, so we just had to shove towels around base to catch leaks. Ended up discovering other issues with unit on this trip, too.
I guess nothing is quality made these days.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
my new Cardinal had the same problem. Not a hex shower, but 1/4 moon shape. Caulked every place the shower doors met the fiberglass, and the grooves you are talking about, and have not had a problem since.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
CTEdwards wrote:
Ceciltโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Did you seal the groove where wall panels meet pan?
I've read all the do vs don't threads I could care to read on the www.
Like I said, first time with hex. First time battling this and I'm not a happy camper right now.

I did as I was uncertain if water was entering those grooves, going to the base and finding a way out. I even caulked on the outide of the frame rail that sits on the plastic base to keep water in. This was fall of 2013 and knock on wood no water has leaked out since.

CTEdwards
Explorer
Explorer
Ceciltโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Did you seal the groove where wall panels meet pan?
I've read all the do vs don't threads I could care to read on the www.
Like I said, first time with hex. First time battling this and I'm not a happy camper right now.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Our hex leaked the first weekend we used it. I got rid of my last camper due to a leak so needless to say I was one Pi$$ed off guy.

I caulked the heck out of it. Inside and outside. Even put caulk down the channels next to the door panel. Problem solved and been leak free for 3 1/2 years.

Get out the caulk and gun and go to town. If not, you will have leaks under the panels.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it was mine, I'd get some very durable adhesive/sealant behind the shower panels, brace till cured, and then seal any exterior joints. One issue you may have is the condition of the back of the panels. If dirt, dust, or soapy water has gone on that surface, it needs to be cleaned for any adhesive to bond correctly. Fortunately, some adhesives will work in that situation. Silicone would be lower on my sealing list although it is an excellent sealant when in compression.

3M makes some excellent adhesive sealants as does Geocel Inc.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton