cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leer Topper Door

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is the right forum, but after buying and installing new handles and new struts for the lift-up door on my topper this summer, the piano hinge is now coming apart on one side. The dealer is going to try to rivet it before ordering a new one. It's quite possible they'll break the glass but it's worth a try before sinking several hundred dollars into a new door.

I'm wondering if replacing the hinge is possible. The dealer says no, but there should be some alternative to replacing the entire assembly for a relatively cheap part. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
3 REPLIES 3

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
To update, I returned to the dealer and they put several rivets in across the door and no cracked window. $25 and 40 minutes, a pretty good deal.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Johntank, good information! Thanks.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem is when drilling the holes for the rivets is to keep from hitting the glass, this can be done with a stop on a regular drill bit or with a bit made just for rivets.
I did it once to replace some on each end I was replacing the 1/8" with 3/16" (about 3/4 each end), but the second time around I had about 3 holes left on the whole hinge when the bit (regular drill bit) I let go to far in.