cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal to tow in freeway left lane?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I often tow our TT in the left lane on a multi-lane freeway (3 or more lans) when the traffic in the right lanes is just way too slow or there are a lot of drivers changing lanes in congested areas. I do however, stay in the right lane whenever possible unless passing a vehicle, temporarily moving left at on-ramps or if the traffic flow gets above 65 mph. If driving through or around Seattle for example, by far the fastest route is the staying in the very left hand lane.

This is Washington State law (from a few years ago):

No vehicle towing a trailer, or no vehicle or combination over 10,000 lbs. may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited-access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction, except when preparing for a left turn.

Am I running the risk of being ticketed or do the LEOs simply turn a blind eye? Is this common around the US or just in some states?
47 REPLIES 47

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Many of the roads we travel on don't even have a center line..:E:E....Dennis

Hard to get the paint to stick to the dirt?
I need some wild

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Up here in the Land of 10,000 construction projects (MN), if you are driving a Lexus RX330, BMW X5, or Cadillac Escalade, you may at any time use the far left lane as a PDL (Personal Diving Lane). You're permitted to travel at any speed or apply your brakes at will. :B

FWIW, I've lived for awhile in a few of the bigger cities and the freeways are all pretty much the same. About the only time I change out of the far right lane is if traffic is impeded in that lane or I can safely pass a slower vehicle in front of me. I don't have any issues with merging traffic from the right or ahead as I've given up being in a hurry.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
the bear II wrote:
In California on a 3 or more lane freeway vehicles towing trailers are restricted to the right two lanes unless otherwise marked (Trucks OK).

Quick trip wrote:
Towing in Ca. Is right hand land on all highways be it two lanes or six!
Use the second lane from the right to pass......
If you go over to the far left lane or HOV LANES YOU JUST BROKE THE LAW GETTING THERE!
If the cops see you, they will stop you and give you a BIG ticket worth big bucks to Ca.
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

Close but not quite. Ron3rd has the additional info:

Ron3rd wrote:
In California you are limited to the two right hand lanes on say, a 4 or 5 lane freeway. I don't think it's very strictly enforced if you are only in a prohibited lane for a short distance and then move to the right, which I've done often and never had a problem. The CHP might write you a ticket if you're just cruising along in one of the left hand lanes for some distance.

You're also limited to 55 mph in California when towing, and again, not strictly enforced. I always go 62-63 mph and never had a problem in over 10 years. A buddy is a CHP officer and he told me he does not enforce the 55 mph rule so long as the the RV is going with the flow of traffic.

I've been towing in CA for nearly 40 years. If it is 3 lanes or less, trailers are restricted to the right lane only EXCEPT to pass; and then only 2nd lane, never the 3rd. If it is 4 lanes or more, they can run in the right TWO lanes at all times, but can still never move into the 3rd lane, not even to pass.

Yes, you will get ticketed, although I certainly see plenty of pickups pulling trailers in the 3rd or 4th lanes, so I wonder just how often LEOs actually write those tickets. I chalk it up to newbies with a recently purchased trailer that have no clue. For some reason, around here it is commonly jet skis or boats.

I, too, tow (Class C with either a jetski trailer or an enclosed trailer) at 62-64 mph. Never been stopped or ticketed.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

path1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I challenge anyone to drive through Seattle in the right lane towing a TT during the weekend in the insane traffic they have... 😞

IMO One over from right hand lane is best overall for Seattle.

I have no idea what the big deal about Seattle traffic is. You can only go as fast as what's in front of you. And that is usually not fast. You can't fly over and side streets are worse than freeway, what can you do? But I understand your concern or frustration. Family comes over from farming area in eastern Wa and gets his blood pressure up just by being around traffic. Doesn't matter if traffic is stop and go or going the speed limit. He is just not used to being in traffic.

Going by memory by turning Seattle to White Rock, two full turns a shift for many years with 53 foot trailer or doubles.

If you're coming south let's say from mile marker 202 (Donna's fuel in Marysville). Be in slow lane. When you pick up a lane, little bit north of 405 interchange, just stay in your lane. Then at north end of Seattle at 175 street exit move over to left one lane. Stay in that lane till you hit south center hill. You should end up in next to slow lane on south center hill. (If I remembered right) This is by memory, so don't hold me to it. Been 7 years since I've done it everyday, check it out on some map program first.

I'd never be in the HOV lane. Look at the signs that say how long of time in HOV lane compared to regular lane. Maybe 5 min? Is it worth it? Also in the HOV lane, some don't have big enough shoulder on left should you need it and most ER traffic also uses HOV lane. So you could be stuck making a rather fast lane change that you weren't planning on. But (what are the odds) the ER traffic that passed you is enroute to one of those 3 hours delay accidents and you'll be 3 or 4 lanes over in the HOV lane and can't get off an exit to get out of the mess. Then again you're bringing your bathroom with you. No worries.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are crossing central Indiana east west or north south you will most likely end up on the I-465 loop around Indy. It has the classic right lanes that exit, merge, and if you are unfortunate and cannot pull over you will “exit only” and get to figure out how to get back on after a few miles.

If you are riding the middle lane, which is often posted at 55, you will be going 60 to 65 mph and at best keeping up with the trucks.

You had better not tail-gate in any lane, because you can quickly find yourself at a near standstill for reasons known only to the road Gods.

I prefer the secondary roads, but many of them also connect to the I-465 loop.

I suppose compared to most big cities this is small potatoes. But when it comes to towing, in my opinion, I will keep with the flow in the middle lane and let the high speed boy cruise by on the left and avoid the dash and darting of the lane to the right.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I try to stay out of the leftmost lanes as much as possible, mainly for courtesy. Many people do not realize how limited your vision is using only the right side mirror. Even with the fisheyes, other vehicles on your right hand side can be invisible more than they are visible. My navigator knows that is part of the job, to help the driver keep up with what is happening on the right side. Too many drivers think that a right-hand turn signal means "OK to pass me on the right".
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Utah is becoming notorious for the right 2 lanes to be fine then all of a sudden you are in an exit only lane stranding you two lanes over.
Boy, that's for sure! Frustrating - and it does keep you on your toes!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Yea out here in the west where they have bumped the speed limit to 80 I stay in the right lane doing my 62-65. When there is 3 or more lanes I try to say in the middle, Utah is becoming notorious for the right 2 lanes to be fine then all of a sudden you are in an exit only lane stranding you two lanes over.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
rbpru wrote:
I ride the middle lane on a three lane because there is too much commotion in the right lane with merges and exits etc. I have never been stopped.

If it is illegal in some states and the LEO does not agree with my reasoning, well I guess I will get a ticket.

Just another reason I look for secondary roads.
In my opinion, if you are driving at less than the speed limit then this is a problem. I always drive in the right lane except on vary rare occasions. I generally drive at 65 which I consider to be a safe towing speed. I don't see momentarily slowing down occasional as necessary to allow people to get off or merge as a problem. However driving in any lane but the right lane at less then the speed limit - well I hope you get a ticket. That' just my opinion. If it's rush hour or congested, adjustments may be necessary.

So with a speed limit of 75 or 80 your hope is that if someone chooses to drive at a "safe" speed they get a ticket??? My hope would be they don't have a blowout and kill themselves or someone else.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I ride the middle lane on a three lane because there is too much commotion in the right lane with merges and exits etc. I have never been stopped.

If it is illegal in some states and the LEO does not agree with my reasoning, well I guess I will get a ticket.

Just another reason I look for secondary roads.
In my opinion, if you are driving at less than the speed limit then this is a problem. I always drive in the right lane except on vary rare occasions. I generally drive at 65 which I consider to be a safe towing speed. I don't see momentarily slowing down occasional as necessary to allow people to get off or merge as a problem. However driving in any lane but the right lane at less then the speed limit - well I hope you get a ticket. That' just my opinion. If it's rush hour or very congested, adjustments may be necessary; 90% of the time I find the right lane works out fine.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I challenge anyone to drive through Seattle in the right lane towing a TT during the weekend in the insane traffic they have... 😞

Weekend!? you mean any day of the week. The good thing (if there is a good thing) about Seattle traffic is it's pretty much stop and go 24/7. Phoenix it's pretty much go and go faster 70 80 dodging thru traffic 24/7.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
In Arizona it's legal to take any lane you choose including the HOV.