cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal to tow in freeway left lane?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I often tow our TT in the left lane on a multi-lane freeway (3 or more lans) when the traffic in the right lanes is just way too slow or there are a lot of drivers changing lanes in congested areas. I do however, stay in the right lane whenever possible unless passing a vehicle, temporarily moving left at on-ramps or if the traffic flow gets above 65 mph. If driving through or around Seattle for example, by far the fastest route is the staying in the very left hand lane.

This is Washington State law (from a few years ago):

No vehicle towing a trailer, or no vehicle or combination over 10,000 lbs. may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited-access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction, except when preparing for a left turn.

Am I running the risk of being ticketed or do the LEOs simply turn a blind eye? Is this common around the US or just in some states?
47 REPLIES 47

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
In California on a 3 or more lane freeway vehicles towing trailers are restricted to the right two lanes unless otherwise marked (Trucks OK).

This ^^^ Always amazes me when I see idiots driving in the left lane pulling a trailer, how can you own a tow vehicle and trailer and not know the laws ?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer towing in the median (left) lane as it is often smoother and less congested. It also gives the other drivers the opportunity to test our their horns and middle fingers as they pass me on the right and swerve back into the proper passing lane in front of me. What is really fun is to look back and see how close the eighteen wheeler can get to your rear bumper. In other words, if one enjoys being a jerk, tow in the left lane, whether legal or not. Mile after mile.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD wrote:
westend wrote:
Stay out of the Monfort, it is for passing only.

I wonder how many people know what that means.........I DO..

Montfort Foods Company in Colorado.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
In Indiana if you are not holding up traffic then no problem. If you are causing anyone to pass you in the right lane then yes you can be ticketed.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Certain sections of I-15 in Utah along the Wasatch Corridor are posted "No vehicles towing trailers in the left 2 lanes", which would mean the Car Pool lane (left most) and the 'fast' lane (lane #2 from left).

I've seen plenty of vehicles towing popups, utility trailers, 20-something foot enclosed, and just riding along without a care. The ones that irritate me are the lane hogs. Now I get it, and I've done it, been in the fast lane when we are 5-wide, but I'm passing and then I get back over quickly. Just don't hang out there.

I've also been in the left most lane on 3-lane climbs when it has been posted no trailers in the left lane (east bound leaving Albuquerque, Cajon Pass, others). I'm usually one of the fastest vehicles on the climb and the cars are slowing me down. Never been stopped.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:

I wonder how many people know what that means.........I DO..
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty strictly enforced in California to stay in the right lane or the one next to it. Exit only lanes do not count.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

Monfort!?!? I wonder how many folks know of that reference?
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

Am I running the risk of being ticketed or do the LEOs simply turn a blind eye? Is this common around the US or just in some states?

There is no blind eye. If you are on a marked road, and in violation, they will give you a ticket.

There is one more exception though, if the left lane is HOV -and- you qualify they will let you go. Be advised though that I-405 is going to "three" not "two", and you need a special pass besides
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
korbe wrote:
I will do my best to pass someone on their left. If that puts me in lane #1, so be it.

in washington that may get you a ticket on a 3 lane highway. they don't care if your trying to pass or not. your not allowed in the third lane unless that is the exit lane and you take the exit.

Sounds likely. Some laws don't allow for any exceptions. That's why I prefer the law that says, "keep right except to pass".

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
korbe wrote:
I will do my best to pass someone on their left. If that puts me in lane #1, so be it.

in washington that may get you a ticket on a 3 lane highway. they don't care if your trying to pass or not. your not allowed in the third lane unless that is the exit lane and you take the exit.

FYI, not all "three or more" highways are marked for this restriction.
The highway has to be marked.
There is no "may", if you tow, the highway is marked and a LEO see it, you will be ticketed.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
In washington you are setting yourself up for a ticket. we travel through washington, and YES I have seen an LEO pull over comercial vehicles AND people pulling a trailer in the left lane on 3 or more lane highways. Even if they look like they are just trying to pass slower taffic.

you stick out like a sore thumb and they will get you from quite a distance away if they see you.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!