cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling kit lower rear of truck????

Herzog
Explorer
Explorer
I'll start by saying that this is the result of a conversation at an RV sales store.....I think they are smoking something!! But, here it goes>>>>>

I'm looking at a new 5th wheel RV, but my 2016 Ram 4x4 3/4 ton sits so high that the RV I'm looking at would be really nose high.

Two salesmen said that if I put a 2" spacer front leveling kit on the truck, it would force the rear down lower between an inch and 1 1/2 inches.

I'm not an engineer, and I believe they just want be to buy their RV, but could this even be possible???

These guys will say anything to make a sale.....ugh
9 REPLIES 9

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem once. GM had belltech built longer rear shackles. Dropped the rear 2 ". Rear was high so it was a good install.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Newer 5th wheel manufacturers have mostly caught up with the taller trucks. My 2016 Keystone Hideout works great with my 2014 Ram 2500 4X4. I think I have about 7" of bed rail clearance. Take some measurements and plan on the truck to squat a bit under load - probably 2-3 inches.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
They are right to a degree. But, it's counter productive. Your truck in stock form sits the highest at the very rear (tailgate). Adding a leveling kit will drop the very rear of the truck, behind the rear axle, a little. Probably like 3/4-1in or so. In essence it will make the bed level across front to back. But, it does away with the factory rake and the truck will sit low in the rear when loaded. Obviously not what you want. And yes, I've seen this first hand, in person, with measurements taken before and after the leveling kit was installed. Truck was a 2015 Ram 2500.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's too funny... When you get a front 'leveling' kit, it's obviously meant to 'level' your truck.. OEM trucks will have a rake to the rear end to accommodate the anticipated LOAD you intend to put on it..

Put a load on a 'leveled' truck and it'll squat the same in the rear, but since you've raised the front end, it'll look like it's sagging on the rear and just shoot your head lights in the air...

Anyway, good luck with it, but unless you just want to 'level' your truck for looks, it's not really a good idea if you actually haul anything in it.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Park the front on 2" blocks and see how much the back goes down. You won't even see the difference.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The hitch is slightly in front of the rear axle... raising the front will INCREASE the hitch height slightly not lower it :S. You probably have some blocks between the springs and the rear axle because it's a 4X4 that can be removed. Cut 1/2" pipe spacers so you can reuse your U bolts.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bedlam
Take 20 percent of the GTWR to determine pin weight and load that amount of weight into the back of the truck using sand bags. This will show you loaded ride height.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
A levelling kit raises the front end. It doesn't do anything for the rear end. Unless you spend a good chunk of change typical levelling kits with make the front end ride rough. A suspension kit will make it ride better. You can adjust the 5th wheel height a few ways and like mentioned the ass will drop when loaded. You won't know until you hook up the trailer.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell him to stick to sales! New trucks are really high, however they settle when loaded. You will not know unit you add the pin weight to the truck on however it lines up with the 5th wheel. You might want to also think about a SRW 3500 with rear air, in the alt ride height mode it might be lower and will provides better payload for a 5th wheel.

IMWTK what is the 5th wheel you are looking at?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021