cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License plate on Truck? or camper (with overhang)?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
In PA we don't have plates on Pickup Truck campers.
I called PennDot and asked the following question:

"my camper hangs 24" over the back of my bumper and makes it hard to read the license plate on the truck".

"Instead of someone moving the license plate between camper and truck every Friday when they load camper, and Sunday when they unload camper, is there a solution like a duplicate license plate?"

After 15 minutes of hold they told me "no, you can't have a duplicate license plate."

I do know in order to get a replacement plate you need a cop to sign a form saying yours was lost or stolen. let alone the BS if you get caught with a duplicate plate on truck and camper.

So I found the law (below). its all about seeing the tag with (money generating) cameras like traffic light and toll booth.

With my overhang, I think a lower mounted toll booth camera or a red light camera that is low enough might see my license plate.
I guess if I am towing my trailer, this don't matter because that would also block the truck tag from cameras, but the trailer has a tag.

Now starting this month, PA no longer has uses little stickers on the plate that show when your registration expires.

Now the police have these cameras that scan all the cars as they drive down the street, and it auto runs every tag number through a database (wireless connection to state) looking for expired tags (as well as outstanding arrest warrants).

I now that a cop car passing me can not see the truck tag unless its some distance behind me.

below in the laws it talks about "at a reasonable distance". Do you think it is reasonable to not be able see the license plate unless you step back about 10 yards so you can see under the camper and fox landing?

last fall when I got eh camper, I moved the tag, but I really don't want to do it. I do unload several times per year.

What would you do?
------------------------------------
laws about obscured tags in PA.

(b) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:

(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance;

(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities) or 3117 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in certain municipalities) or any other automated enforcement system authorized by this title or an electronic toll collection system as authorized under 74 Pa.C.S. ยง 8117 (relating to electronic toll collection);

(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner; or

(4) is obscured, covered or otherwise obstructed in a manner which inhibits the visibility of the issuing jurisdiction at a reasonable distance.

(c) Penalty for obscured plate.--Any person who violates subsection (b)(2) or (4) commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.
53 REPLIES 53

Rexsname
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Arizona something in the bed of the truck is considered cargo. The license plate is for the truck. I leave mine on the truck.
REX

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL. I like your reasoning. Think I will use it ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
My TC overhands my truck by nearly 4'. I have never moved the tag from the truck to the camper. I've been in at least 22 states that way over the past 8 years. Only once did I ever get questions. I was in a campground and an officer on foot asked where my rear plate was. I pointed to it up under the truck. He said "Okay, thanks." And I drove away. That was probably 7 years ago.
I will not be moving it. As far as I'm concerned it's a truck tag anyway, not a camper tag. Putting it on something other than the truck is probably not legal.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TC hangs over about 16". I can see it OK from 10-20 ft. away. I haven't moved it yet. I'm going with it unless someone says different. Then maybe not.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bka0721 had a very sensible and logical explaination about this topic. Paraphrasing Bryan, "if you have tail lights on the back of your camper for people to see, a license plate should be there too". I move mine every time from the truck bumper to the bracket on my camper. In Ca, that is the plate with registration month and year tags are adhered to. We also have 2 plates issued and both must be in place.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
We get two if we get vanity plates, but only 1 validation sticker. I asked a cop about it and he said it would likely be ok to run the sticker on the truck and not on the camper but he couldn't guarantee it. So far I've been swapping back and forth.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
I have a similar set up to yours. I move the plate back and forth. It doesn't take me very long and I would rather not give some cop the excuse to stop me.

That's what we had to do in Ontario. We kept the tool in the door pocket of the truck so it was handy and always there. Only took a minute or two - a nuisance for sure but no big deal.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
How far back of your PU can you see the plate with the camper on? And if an officer IN a car is approaching you from the rear could they see the plate. I would not address the problem. period. You may start something you do not want?
Or put a dang bright light on it.
Or as per work2 much ...

Cheers
Chuck

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar set up to yours. I move the plate back and forth. It doesn't take me very long and I would rather not give some cop the excuse to stop me.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.