cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Life with a trailer behind...

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
For the 2 years and 30,000 miles of camping done so far it has all been trailer free, just the crew cab dually Ford F350 and Northstar Igloo 9.5 in the bed. Total 25 feet.

Recently I bought a 14x7 trailer to carry a motorcycle and a bunch of other stuff, all stuff I would "like" to have along but none of it necessary. It would just make for a different trip having a bike to ride when we are far from home.

But I don't love the idea of having to maneuver that trailer as I go into get fuel and backing into camping spots etc.

I ask those of you who haul a trailer how do you like it? DO you have any advice?

Thanks,
Joe
30 REPLIES 30

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another recommendation for a back up camera.

I use the camera system for both, my travel trailer, and my truck camper. I have one monitor (clips onto the rearview mirror) and three cameras. One on the travel trailer (permenantly mounted with cabling to front of the trailer), one for hitching up the travel trailer, and one for combination rear view / hitching up a utility trailer, with the TC. I wired the truck with extra long video / power cable, and plug in which ever camera I am going to use. I have the cable coiled up by the tailgate, and pull out what I need to plug in which ever camera.

On the TC, I use velcro straps to mount the camera, either on the ladder for road use, or, on the hitch receiver for hitching up the trailer. It's a great help for backing the trailer.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
My 7x14 has twin axles with torsion bars. Based on the fact that nothing shook loose on my 500 miles trial run I guess it rides pretty smooth.

I have now learned not to let the wiring drag on the highway. I chafed right through it and had to make up a new harness for it. Live and learn.

Bedlam
If you have torsion axles, the only thing you can do is re-index the arms for more lift. I prefer to keep mine low - It tows like a dream without sway control and only weight distribution.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
One trailer experience that I had to deal with was lack of clearance on my jeep hauling car trailer. It is a wood planked, minimalist, 14'x7', 7K pound max, flatbed weighing in at 1100 pounds. I kept dragging the tongue or tail on dirt roads and going into abrupt gas station driveways.
Since the trailer had spring under leaf springs/equalizers the solution was to convert the suspension into a springs-over-axle format. It was a simple and fast process. The axle was square, so the springs-over was a snap: no new spring pads needed. Just reverse the u-bolts. It took two high lift jacks, two floor jacks, and four tall jack stands on 8x12's to get the bed hanging in space, momentarily. Disconnect one end of the leaf springs to release the axles. I gained about 3.5 inches of lift, which also gave me more space inside the fenders for larger tires, if needed be. I haven't dragged tail since.
For jeep use, I leave the ramps at home and have installed two, crank up/down, pivoting, 2 ton trailer jacks on the side/rear and just lower the jacks to the ground and drive the jeep off and on using the ARB air lockers and 130:1 crawl.
Actually that was then and this is now. I'm selling my beloved Scrambler and the car trailer goes with it. See Reno/Tahoe C.L. for details.
I can't see why an SOA lift wouldn't work on an enclosed trailer if you want to make the dragging and screeching go away.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the torsion suspension axles. 2 of our trailers have them, our 2 horse trailer and our 16ft stock trailer. Yes they ride much better and since the cargo in these trailers is usually livestock less abuse is good.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I only have one camera, on the camper bumper. Wire length limited me to mounting it there - it's the OEM camera for the GM NAV system.

For those that may happen across this thread in the future and are considering a trailer, I'd highly recommend getting one with torsion suspension axles.

My 6x12 had them.
My 8.5x20 has them.

I've been using my brother's 7x16 leaf spring trailer after selling my 6x12, and it bounces all the time. Every little imperfection in the road is transmitted to the truck. I never experienced that with the 6x12.

Torsion axles make for a smoother ride, due to each wheel being able to move independent of the other - think Independent Suspension. A smoother ride means your cargo doesn't take the abuse like on a leaf spring trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only have one camera which is mounted on the back of the TC. I flat tow my toad, not a trailer. I can see my tow bar and behind the Samurai. If I could back up, which I cannot, the camera is high enough for me to see where I was going. I would have little improvement with an additional camera. I could adjust the camera down and see the entire hitch and two or three car lengths behind the Samurai. I prefer to see further back.

If you purchase your camera from a reliable source that is in the camera business, you have several options. I purchased from RV Cams.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you with cameras, do you have one on the back of the trailer as well as on the back of the truck/camper?

I am definitely putting one on the back of the camper to see the hitch area and trailer but I bet it would be real nice to have one all the way back on the trailer.

Anyone have that?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Jgwoods - couple things you might try with your shorter trailer:

Find a nice big quiet parking lot and back around the place putting your trailer between the lines till you can do it blindfolded ๐Ÿ™‚

"look up!" before backing into anyplace ๐Ÿ™‚

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
All very good advice, bottom line practice practice practice. One thing I'll add, my 7x12 has stabilizer legs that drop down in the rear. If I'm unhooked and drive my dresser in the tounge, will come off the ground. Only did this once, not a good feeling.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
X2 about putting hands on bottom of wheel.I don't put my hands on the bottom because I also have been backing trailers for 50+ years and it's not my habit.(old dogs and new tricks or if it ain't broke don't fix it).
But my wife, when she was a young girl was having trouble backing her horse trailer the way her daddy taught her and she just didn't get it.
And then the husband of her riding instructor told her to put her hands on bottom of the wheel and she has been an expert ever since.:D
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Junket
Explorer
Explorer
Just a tid bit I have hauled and backed trailers 50+ years but wanted wife to be able to back it also after the threat of divorce told her to put hands on bottom of wheel and turn turn the way wanted to go still have her.
Ken
2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Short trailers are not easy to back up

Not to mention virtually invisible back there. You typically won't see a small trailer in your mirror until it's already turning.

Don't forget - you'll need a hitch extension. I would highly recommend the TorkLift Superhitch. It's DOT approved for any length extension you'll need.

The 7x14 trailer I have shows in my mirrors outside the dually fenders. I can see the sides at all times.

The F350 has a mighty robust hitch with a 2 1/2 receiver - sorry I don't know the specs as to what class it is but it seems very strong. I just added an extension to it and it seems fine. I may try chain and turnbuckle stabilizers to help prevent wear.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jgwoods wrote:
... I have ordered a camera set up to hardwire but I haven't figured a good way to run the wire. I haven't drilled any holes in the camper yet and I don't want to botch the first hole.

I temporarily tie-wrapped my camera cable to the roof rack, down the ladder, then under the TC overhang, under the TC wing to the Truck sliding back window. I put a coupling outside the Truck back window, then opened the slider enough for the cable to pass through. I used a piece of foam insulation in the slider. From the slider I ran the cable to the dash monitor. I plug the monitor in the cig/aux on the dash.

I have no need to lock the pass through window with the TC loaded, and can disconnect the cable when unloading, then lock the window. As I stated that was temporary years ago. It is still the same, with no reason to change it.

Do mount your camera below the clearance light. If above, the light will mess with the infrared of the camera.

As this photo shows, the wire is only obvious from the camera to the rack. A little paint the same color as the TC would hide the wire. I do need another tie-wrap on the ladder.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke