cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightest Bumper Pull with Slide & Bunks?

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

I have been looking at campers for 6 months! Ive looked so much that it seems one camper is running together with another camper in my mind!!!!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there might know the LIGHTEST bumper pull camper with a minimum of 1 slide and bunks!?!?!

That is really really really what I am looking for! I have an 04' Chevy Avalanche Z71, but want something that will be easy to pull and have plenty of weight to spare.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you!
36 REPLIES 36

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to know what the poster ended up with! We are looking with similar needs. I will be looking into all of your suggestions too!

bee5
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Krobbe, I guess you just assumed it caught fire after 4 years. However, we purchased the TT when it was only 6 months old and we had it less than 30 days when it caught on fire. The first rv repair shop wouldn't touch it because it was too much of a liability to fix. The previous owners didn't have it that long due to some other minor things, per the dealer. We have had every seal replaced and the dealer really doesn't why its leaking. There is nothing wrong with our seals nor debris anywhere.

I do agree about the walls being slanted, it is great to see what's behind you when towing. But there is a reason they changed the design after one year of production or else they would have kept this great design.

And as far as doing my due diligence, again, I'm not sure why you are assuming that, I can only take the dealerships word for that, we did not purchase this from the previous owner. Unfortunately, you can't get a carfax for a TT. Do I think all of the bullets are like ours, no probably not, however if I would have come across a thread about leaks being a continual problem, we probably would have steered clear of them.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Bee. My 2009 has no leaks nor any sign of water damage around any slides or windows. If the slides leak, chances are the seals need replacing or some debris is interfering with the seal. Make sure the slide roofs are clean before bringing them in. Maybe the previous owner didn't maintain them. Your issue with a screw thru a wire causing a fire 4 years after manufacture could've resulted from a careless previous owner. And I think the slanted walls are great for seeing what's behind me while towing. Knocking down a TT because you didn't do your due diligence before buying is really just sour grapes.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

bee5
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with the Bullet, stay away from the 2009 model. It was the only year they made the slanted walls for aerodynamics. We've had problem after problem, including it catching on fire and the slides leak. We have had it service for the last 3 months, picked it up last night and demanded a water test. Both slides still leak. Keystone has not been willing to do anything as of today. They said to take it back to the dear and if they can't fix it, then they can call the hotline and keystone will tell them how to.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Andy F wrote:

Good to hear krobbe that the 09 Bullet has worked out well for you. We're hoping ours ages well for the next 6-7 years. We've been happy with the quality so far. I'm moving towards LED bulbs and bed-lift hydraulic arms this coming season along with roof vent covers if the camper capital improvement budget holds together! If you don't have one already, I'd strongly recommend ditching the stock cheap bathroom exhaust fan and going with a Fantastic Fan or the Vortex. Our dealer included one in our purchase and its a world of difference. They even went with the upgraded Fan model with the thermostat which allows for air flow on hot days when the interior temperature rises during driveway storage.

And I completely agree on the axles making the difference for the pinewood derby cars--we've got our races coming up in 3 weeks. I've got the graphite and sand paper ready to make sure the axles spin smoothly!

Thanks for the fan idea! I'll install one so we'll stay cool on our first big trip around the U.P. this summer.
My DD(5) asked if she could race a car too in the Sib's races. So now, HelloKitty is driving a pearl purple vette with a hot pink stripe. (She's very competitive. I don't know where she gets it)
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
Andy F wrote:

I was going to suggest a Keystone Bullet--we've loved ours. I've seen a few used ones out there on the market but they were new in 2008-2009 so I doubt you'll find one as low as $10,000.

krobbe, I'd be interested to know how well your used 2009 Bullet has held up--any issues or does it appear to have "aged" well?

Andy, I've cleaned places the previous owner probably never knew about and have tested all the equipment. I haven't come across anything more than a couple burned out bulbs which I've replace almost all with LED. The frame around the wheel wells had some rust but I eliminated that. The roof still looks great and the windows are leak free. The interior upholstery looks great. I'm pretty sure I got a great value. The mods I've done to date are: Installed some new takeoff rims and tires the dealer had sitting on the floor. Enlarged the under bed lift board and new piano hinge to support a new standard queen memory foam 8" mattress. LED panels for all the ceiling fixtures. Replaced the Estone stereo with a Jensen I got on clearance at CW for 69bucks. Replaced all the speakers with PolkAudio 2-ways. Mounted 19"TV in the back bunkhouse. And added a power tongue jack. My next project is to add outlets after my son's pinewood derby.(The axles make the race) Sorry, got carried away...

Good to hear krobbe that the 09 Bullet has worked out well for you. We're hoping ours ages well for the next 6-7 years. We've been happy with the quality so far. I'm moving towards LED bulbs and bed-lift hydraulic arms this coming season along with roof vent covers if the camper capital improvement budget holds together! If you don't have one already, I'd strongly recommend ditching the stock cheap bathroom exhaust fan and going with a Fantastic Fan or the Vortex. Our dealer included one in our purchase and its a world of difference. They even went with the upgraded Fan model with the thermostat which allows for air flow on hot days when the interior temperature rises during driveway storage.

And I completely agree on the axles making the difference for the pinewood derby cars--we've got our races coming up in 3 weeks. I've got the graphite and sand paper ready to make sure the axles spin smoothly!
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
Stovepipe wrote:
BudBundy wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all of the great responses!!!

Its funny because I keep getting drawn to the Keystone Outback/Passport and the Shamrock campers! And even the Surveyor! They seem to have a slide and bunks and fairly nice for around 10k! Of course, Ill have to drive a few hours to get one at that price, but Im willing to do that!

Ive been concerned about the FEMA campers...I didnt know the years to watch for though, so thanks for letting me know!

I HAD totally put the hybrids out of my mind, but it looks like you could literally get a nice camper that is lightweight by going that route...I dont know! UGH! So many choices! lol...

One thing to watch out for with the hybrids is leaking around the bunk hatches. This was a widespread issue for awhile on these campers and some used ones have the water damage to show for it. Apparently newer models have better seals but it's just something to keep in mind when you are looking at used units.

I was strongly leaning towards a hybrid for my family as we do enjoy the canvas of our pop-up. But, as time goes on we're becoming much more inclined to go full hard sided TT as it will allow for more even temperature control (and less potential water leaking).

X2 on the Hybrids having a history of some leaking. We had a rough time with our 2008 Rockwood Roo. Rockwood was responsive and even took the Roo back to their factory for a complete repair but it was still a pain in the rear. I'd be very careful around any 07-08-09 Rockwood Roos/Shamrocks for the leak issues they had on the bunks.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bh htt, that fits the parking space, and handles the sloped driveway by inches. There are many variables to consider when shopping for a camper. The last bh htt produced was the palomino s-23bh, and north trail focus t-22 tent. No other models were made in 2012-2013.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
BudBundy wrote:

I HAD totally put the hybrids out of my mind, but it looks like you could literally get a nice camper that is lightweight by going that route...I dont know! UGH! So many choices! lol...

In a very similar situation, this is exactly what we did. We were new to camping and wanted to get our feet wet before spending the money on upgrading a tow vehicle and buying a large trailer. We knew, without a doubt, that a hybrid would not be for us in the long run. We also knew, however, that we could tow it with our vehicle at the time, and that we could enjoy it for a couple of years as we got a better sense of exactly what WAS important to us in a long-term purchase.

We bought a hybrid, used it for most of two seasons, then made the upgrade with open eyes as to our priorities, desires and 'needs' for a long-term purchase. It worked out very well for us!

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
BudBundy wrote:

Its funny because I keep getting drawn to the Keystone Outback/Passport and the Shamrock campers! And even the Surveyor! They seem to have a slide and bunks and fairly nice for around 10k! Of course, Ill have to drive a few hours to get one at that price, but Im willing to do that!

Ive been concerned about the FEMA campers...I didnt know the years to watch for though, so thanks for letting me know!

One thing to watch out for with the hybrids is leaking around the bunk hatches. This was a widespread issue for awhile on these campers and some used ones have the water damage to show for it. Apparently newer models have better seals but it's just something to keep in mind when you are looking at used units.

I was strongly leaning towards a hybrid for my family as we do enjoy the canvas of our pop-up. But, as time goes on we're becoming much more inclined to go full hard sided TT as it will allow for more even temperature control (and less potential water leaking).
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
BudBundy wrote:
thanks for your input!

The camper doesnt have to be new...Im willing to go back to 2006 if necessary....

I would be leery of most RV's that are2005 or 2006. I would make the PROVE to me that it was not a FEMA trailer. I don't care if it has an awning and holding tanks.

Just please be careful. These things were literally rode hard and put away wet.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I never would have thought of this, thanks for the heads up.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Palomino Ultra Lite T-273 which we realy enjoy, they used to be known as Palomino's Thourobred line. Our previous camper was a Shamrock hybrid. Both campers are Forest River products, had no issues with either and I feel are well made. Try looking for a Thourobred, they had many bunk floorplans that you should be able to tow.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
BudBundy wrote:
thanks for your input!

The camper doesnt have to be new...Im willing to go back to 2006 if necessary....

I would be leery of most RV's that are2005 or 2006. I would make the PROVE to me that it was not a FEMA trailer. I don't care if it has an awning and holding tanks.

Just please be careful. These things were literally rode hard and put away wet.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~